Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 02-10-2017, 01:54 AM
Trapper

Thanked 4,059 Times in 789 Posts

Advertise Here

The newer LR is too much metrosexual...

Now I love the older ones. If money werr no object, this would be my hunting/zombie toy. 😎

Sent from a Galaxy far far away.

Last edited by Revelations 8; 02-10-2017 at 01:54 AM.. Reason: Added pic
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Revelations 8 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2017, 04:27 AM

Look up Grays Online in Australia. They have the job of selling all of the Aussie Land Rovers from the army now that they have switched vehicle types. They go for about 10k Australian so around $7,500 usd. Most are older than 1992 so no prob to export to USA as they are 25 plus years old.

Graysonline.com

I've bought and sold a couple where I live. Thinking of sending one back to USA
The Following User Says Thank You to Darwin Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2017, 03:13 AM

Default Land rovers Export -

I can help out here with this too.
You can get a SIII soft top over here for about 5K (Swiss) and I have a busy in Export who say a container ( 6 weeks to the US ) costs around 1k ( incl customs appear work )
He says you can get 2 landis in a 40footer.

I would be willing to do some research is any one is interested.. ( any old excuse to go land rover spotting )

Simon

Old 02-13-2017, 07:37 AM
Unrepentant Deplorable

Thanked 13,060 Times in 3,726 Posts

I knew someone that had a newer one and the thing was total garbage, nothing but headaches and expensive repairs, the engine finally blew up...

I'm guessing the older ones were made better...
Old 02-13-2017, 09:05 AM
Third World'er Lunatic

Thanked 29,851 Times in 9,981 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardcalibres View Post
That must be that old supply and demand thing.

More people should bring them in - the older ones from other countries would be mostly RHD - although if they are more 25 years old, they don't need to be converted.

When you are offroad, being RHD doesn't really matter - and Land Rovers are always happiest when they are offroad.
and driving in nasty weather.......they love a heavy rain....
The Following User Says Thank You to Goblin X For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2017, 02:09 PM

I love watching footage from the old Camel Trophy events.

Those Defender 110s look awesome. They even made them in left hand drive. I am just afraid of what any repairs would cost.

Old 03-27-2017, 02:49 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,358 Times in 746 Posts

Land Rover used to advertised that 90% of all Rovers ever built were still on the road. That's because the other 10% actually made it back home.

Everyone should own one at least once, though. That way you'd be sure to appreciate your Toyota that much more.

I kid. I kid.

I owned a Disco 2.

Oil pump gone at 40,000 miles. Head gaskets at 50. Various other disabling problems (gear position sensor, ABS faults) kept it idle for long periods of time awaiting parts. These were all common problems. Eventually, I got rid of it.

I had every confidence that it would get me anywhere that I wanted to go. But there was always a nagging thought that it wouldn't get me back. I feared that the next time I turned the switch it would fail to start or the oil pump would explode again and that it would be a one way trip.

They are brilliant off road machines. But the engineering and build quality suffer a just "good enough" mentality. I mean, what rational person would ever think that putting the gear position switch under an AC drain? Decreasing the number of head bolts to save a few bucks? Eventually the wrench time and cost of parts made me throw in the towel.

I can appreciate the appeal of the old Series models though. Still, there's an element of truth to the one featured in "The Gods Must Be Crazy."
Old 03-27-2017, 06:47 PM
TEXAS!!!

Thanked 10,202 Times in 3,869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissBrit View Post
I wonder how many of Us here are Land Rover owners.
I know a lot of my American cousins despair at the thought of a oil leaky British engine .. but we love em ..

I have a '99 Discovery series ll. I HAD a '98 series l (best vehicle I ever owned!) before it was stolen . I also had an '88 Range Rover Classic SWB. THAT was a GREAT truck. I don't care for the Discovery Series ll, Will go anywhere, but blown head gaskets aren't cheap to fix.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:50 PM
TEXAS!!!

Thanked 10,202 Times in 3,869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by subvetssn View Post
Land Rover used to advertised that 90% of all Rovers ever built were still on the road. That's because the other 10% actually made it back home.

Everyone should own one at least once, though. That way you'd be sure to appreciate your Toyota that much more.

I kid. I kid.

I owned a Disco 2.

Oil pump gone at 40,000 miles. Head gaskets at 50. Various other disabling problems (gear position sensor, ABS faults) kept it idle for long periods of time awaiting parts. These were all common problems. Eventually, I got rid of it.

I had every confidence that it would get me anywhere that I wanted to go. But there was always a nagging thought that it wouldn't get me back. I feared that the next time I turned the switch it would fail to start or the oil pump would explode again and that it would be a one way trip.

They are brilliant off road machines. But the engineering and build quality suffer a just "good enough" mentality. I mean, what rational person would ever think that putting the gear position switch under an AC drain? Decreasing the number of head bolts to save a few bucks? Eventually the wrench time and cost of parts made me throw in the towel.

I can appreciate the appeal of the old Series models though. Still, there's an element of truth to the one featured in "The Gods Must Be Crazy."
I had a '98 Disco Series l. I had it for 10 years. Never spent a dime on anything but general maintenance items (tires, battery, brake pads, tune up parts, etc).
Old 03-27-2017, 07:23 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,819 Times in 1,026 Posts

My first car was almost an old series version, can't remember the details. A classmate actually bought it, I ended up with a cj7...I was very glad I didn't get it in hindsight.

I've always loved the looks of the series and defenders, and ended up buying a Discovery once. It had some nice features, but ultimately the worst machine I ever owned, best day was when I sold it to a guy I worked with...poor sob, ha, ha. I was honest, so I don't feel bad.

I'd certainly pick a Toyota over anything rover if I want dependability. I'll always love the looks of the old Rovers, but they just cant seem to make the new ones very well. I honestly think that maybe the US versions are made worse intentionally, and aimed at the kind of people who will trade it in a 2-3 yrs tops.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:29 PM
Swirl Herder

Thanked 3,453 Times in 1,009 Posts

Many car manufacturers go through rough patches of poor build quality.

If you want to see what one looks like, just research the build quality problems that Jeep is going through right now.

I have had several Land Rovers and still have three of them. Once you fix the build quality faults, you have a really great off road vehicle.

Some poorly built off road vehicles don't have enough merit/capability to be worth the effort.
The Following User Says Thank You to hardcalibres For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2017, 07:43 PM

I test drove a Land Rover Defender once, and I'll never drive another one. The one I drove was a classic one from the 70's, with a 4-cylinder engine and a stick. Terrible experience. No power at all. I thought I would never reach highway speed. And very uncomfortable driving position, with upright seating. I've been told it's great off-road, which is good for BO, but as a daily driver on the road, or in the city, I can't think of anything worse to drive.
Old 03-31-2017, 08:12 PM
Tedious Gasbag

Thanked 1,274 Times in 490 Posts

I always thought they looked very cool AND very utilitarian. I too would want an engine swap, sorry LOL. My family collected Sunbeam Alpines and Sunbeam Tigers, and it was the British powered Alpine which was always a pain in the a$$ as well as a bit underpowered. The Shelby/Sunbeam TIGER, however, with a Shelby H.O. 260 or 289 V8 motored along quite nicely.
Old 04-02-2017, 07:20 PM
Third World'er Lunatic

Thanked 29,851 Times in 9,981 Posts
Default yep mud and

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardcalibres View Post
That must be that old supply and demand thing.

More people should bring them in - the older ones from other countries would be mostly RHD - although if they are more 25 years old, they don't need to be converted.

When you are offroad, being RHD doesn't really matter - and Land Rovers are always happiest when they are offroad.
torrential rain. they love it.
Old 04-03-2017, 05:06 PM

I searched the east coast, NY, NJ and DE, drove up to NH, and flew down to TN searching for the right Defender or decent Series III rover. Came away empty handed every time.

To echo the points already made here, the LRs I viewed were either obscenely priced, or on their last legs.

If anyone spots a running, decent 110 or 130, I'm game.
Old 04-04-2017, 01:24 AM
Survivor

Thanked 8,430 Times in 3,628 Posts

If I could find one of the old ones, still in good shape and in my price range, then I would own one. They have been my "dream SUV" since the first time I went hunting in one more than 25 years ago.
Old 04-04-2017, 02:55 AM
Cool dude

As my old Pappy used to say....

If you want to go out bush son.... get a Landrover.
If you want to come back.... get a Toyota.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Apok For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2017, 02:11 PM

That's why I love my '74 Landcruiser.

The older 'rovers are nice and simple to work on. Lots of forums out there for both trucks.
Old 05-15-2017, 07:58 PM
Crazy

Thanked 7,410 Times in 2,539 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by THern View Post
I love watching footage from the old Camel Trophy events.

Those Defender 110s look awesome. They even made them in left hand drive. I am just afraid of what any repairs would cost.

parts are dirt cheap in the lower 48
Old 05-15-2017, 08:37 PM

The very first ones were just LR bodys on Jeep chassis and running gear, I believe. I'll stick to my beat up 79 CJ5 with a sears robuck steel top and doors, even if I win the lotto.