Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The skein of your life was woven long ago. Chapter 1 MayDay Books, Movies & Stories 188 Yesterday 09:54 PM
Salvaging bad LED bulbs? kotterr DIY - Do It Yourself 22 02-06-2017 01:58 PM
Bad Guys have Better Guns! Black Knight Firearms General Discussion 33 01-31-2017 05:40 AM
Bad idea... 6556 Wisconsin 2 10-05-2016 08:02 PM

Old 02-03-2017, 04:36 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,222 Times in 910 Posts
Default does motor oil go bad?

Advertise Here

I know gas can go bad long term,but what about the other fluids.ATF,oil,brake,antifreeze,grease,etc...

Stick some in the back of the garage,unopened..should they be good 20 years from now?
I'm thinking they would be fine,but just asking.
The Following User Says Thank You to cook For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2017, 07:18 AM
Manipulator of Destiny

Thanked 22,873 Times in 8,353 Posts

Depends on if they are sealed against moisture. Brake fluid is hygroscopic and tends to go bad much more readily. Even in your vehicles brake system it should be renewed periodically. Regular motor oil tends to last though how some of the additives in it holds up I am unsure.
The Following User Says Thank You to MattB4 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2017, 07:58 AM

Motor oil can turn acidic over time (in a much shorter time than you would think) and corrode metal parts.

Old 02-03-2017, 08:09 AM
Trapper

It depends on the oil and it depends on the conditions that the oil is exposed to. Is it being stored in a sealed metal can in a cool temperature, or is it sitting inside of an engine after being exposed to blowby and moisture?
Old 02-03-2017, 08:11 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,433 Times in 896 Posts

There is a website called Bob Is The Oil Guy -- bet you can find the answer there.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sneeky For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2017, 11:27 PM

Oil, as packaged, in drum or tub or whatever, will last forever.

It turns acidic (only slightly) in *sumps* after being exposed to pressure, temperature, and *metal*. IOW, after being worked.

All unopened containers of basically any petro product will last forever. Notice all your fluids now are carrying foil seals. Leave those in place and they'll outlast your grandchildren.

DS
The Following User Says Thank You to dyingslower For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2017, 07:01 AM
I give up

Thanked 9,322 Times in 2,620 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_dave View Post
Motor oil can turn acidic over time (in a much shorter time than you would think) and corrode metal parts.
Not really true. All modern oils contain calcium or magnesium as a buffer against acids. The combustion gasses and resulting fuel dilution that get past the piston rings are directly responsible for the acidity in oil. Modern oils are very, very resistant to degradation over time.

In fact, we've tested oils that are from the 1970's and found them perfectly acceptable. However, some of the additives did settle to the bottom! Might be a good idea to shake old cans.

TBN, total base number is the measurement we use to determine an oil's ability to combat acids. A TBN lower than 1.0 is unacceptable, and we might find this in a long oil change interval, such as 15,000 miles.

New oil has a TBN generally around 8.0 to 10.0. VOA (virgin oil analysis) of leftover oils from the 1970's show TBN well above 8.0. In other words, perfectly good. The additives have not been "used up" combating acid.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cujet For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2017, 08:18 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,450 Times in 2,439 Posts

I don't keep that much oil around. I have a 12-pack of racing oil for my hotrod but that's it. Some of the racing oils, the additives can separate and the containers need to be shaken up before adding to the engine.
Old 02-04-2017, 11:10 AM
Forester

Thanked 8,465 Times in 4,236 Posts

They absorb moisture and the addititves break down.
Twenty year old motor oil is out of date. It is primitive compared to modern lubricants.
Old 02-04-2017, 11:55 AM
statists' be statin'

Thanked 7,574 Times in 1,678 Posts

Oil, left clean, cool, and dry will last forever. Or at least as long as I'll be around.

High temperatures damage oil.
Contamination (dirt) makes oil less effective
Moisture makes oil less effective.

Lots of high temperature, dirt, and moisture makes oil not work any more. Oil in your car is exposed to all of these and needs to be changed regularly. There are machines that have been running fine with the same oil for 50 years and will continue to run for a long time without an oil change.
Old 02-07-2017, 06:42 AM
I give up

Thanked 9,322 Times in 2,620 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppine View Post
They absorb moisture and the addititves break down.
Twenty year old motor oil is out of date. It is primitive compared to modern lubricants.
None of that is true either. Modern motor oil contains lower levels of ZDDP, a key anti wear additive. This is to protect catalytic converters. Oil additives have not changed much since the 1960's. And certain older oils are far more robust than modern oils.

Sealed containers are not moisture permeable.

Some key additives in oil are ZDDP (zinc and phosphorous), calcium and magnesium. They don't break down, ever.

There is a reason vintage muscle car owners struggle with camshaft and tappet failures, and some modern diesels. Today's oils generally contain only 600PPM of ZDDP. About 1/2 the ideal level of 1200PPM.

Furthermore today's oils, as a general rule, are very thin for fuel economy. Yesterday's oils universally had higher viscosity, and afforded more protection.

Modern engines last so long on thin oils because they are designed to operate with low viscosity oils. However, when you look at the "million mile van", a Ford 5.4L powered van, that achieved 1.3 million miles on the original engine, his oil choice WAS NOT Ford's recommendation of 5W-20, but rather a more robust and more viscous 10W-40.
The Following User Says Thank You to cujet For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2017, 07:15 AM
Hiker

cujet is right on.

oil doesn't go bad. it never wears out. additive packages can when used, and acids can form, but not in unused or unopened containers.

even used oil can be heated to drive the moisture and contaminants out rather easily, filtered, and additives put back in at home. use to be common to recycle your own oil, and commercially it is done all the time.

i'll take old oil any day over the modern stuff for all but my newest vehicles, and I routinely look for and buy it at estate sales and yard sales all the time...