Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vehicles after SHTF? Eevee Vehicles & Transportation 27 10-11-2016 09:25 PM
Best Vehicles for EMP/CME or SHTF JJ1701 Vehicles & Transportation 11 06-21-2016 10:29 PM
AK-74, the ultimate SHTF rifle? Crunchtime Rifle Forum 151 09-11-2013 10:22 PM
Solar powered SHTF vehicles OldSchoolPC Vehicles & Transportation 8 07-06-2012 06:55 PM
Ultimate shtf/camping stove jimmykeller Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 27 06-28-2012 05:44 AM
The Ultimate SHTF House Thread irishmike357 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 7 11-28-2011 05:36 PM
This must be the ultimate SHTF house Normac Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 22 11-15-2011 10:43 AM
shtf alternative vehicles BumblingBear Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 7 07-12-2010 12:06 PM

Old 01-20-2017, 10:45 AM
That'll be the day...

Thanked 1,425 Times in 411 Posts

Advertise Here

I just ran through these pages and there are some very cool looking rigs out there, but too many of them in this thread have too much in terms of soft electronics that wouldn't stand up to an EMP.

Aren't the top selling vehicles for the past 50 years......a Jeep, Ford PU, Chevy PU?????

I think I would want a bone stock Jeep, Ford or Chevy that is old enough to have a carburetor and as few electronics as possible. Then 'harden' the vehicle as best as possible.

Those rigs that are heavily modified......good luck on finding replacement parts when things start breaking. A bone stock rig has hundreds of thousands, if not millions of other vehicles out there that parts can be taken off of.
The Following User Says Thank You to Big_John For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2017, 09:32 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,453 Times in 1,724 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_John View Post
I just ran through these pages and there are some very cool looking rigs out there, but too many of them in this thread have too much in terms of soft electronics that wouldn't stand up to an EMP.

Aren't the top selling vehicles for the past 50 years......a Jeep, Ford PU, Chevy PU?????

I think I would want a bone stock Jeep, Ford or Chevy that is old enough to have a carburetor and as few electronics as possible. Then 'harden' the vehicle as best as possible.

Those rigs that are heavily modified......good luck on finding replacement parts when things start breaking. A bone stock rig has hundreds of thousands, if not millions of other vehicles out there that parts can be taken off of.
What if a stock vehicle doesn't do what you want?

Most modified vehicles are just a collection of other vehicles parts. As long as you had a hand in building the vehicle you should know where the parts came from.

Older vehicles are getting harder and harder to find in decent condition. Hopefully, it won't be long till you can build 'new' old vehicles from reproduction parts. You can get really close with something very common like an old jeep. The hot rod market has been doing it for years. I think in the next few years we might just see it carry over to the 60s-70s pickups. The parts are actually available at the panel level, someone just needs to stick them all together and offer a reproduction frame....
Old 01-22-2017, 04:40 PM
Hunter

How about a '73-'87 Chevy Blazer or K-10 short & wide?
Six cylinder engine and SM465. Either a Dana 20 or an NP205, 10-bolt up front, 12-bolt in back, both stuffed with 4.10 gears.
15x10 Jackman's shod with 33/12.50 MT's.
Nothing "cutting edge" here. Just good strong parts.
A bit old school, but small enough to maneuver in the woods and still carry a decent load.
Plus, I'll still be putterin' with that setup after the pulse shuts down the computer controlled vehicles.

DCman
The Following User Says Thank You to DCMan For This Useful Post:

Old 01-22-2017, 08:46 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMan View Post
How about a '73-'87 Chevy Blazer or K-10 short & wide?
Six cylinder engine and SM465. Either a Dana 20 or an NP205, 10-bolt up front, 12-bolt in back, both stuffed with 4.10 gears.
15x10 Jackman's shod with 33/12.50 MT's.
Nothing "cutting edge" here. Just good strong parts.
A bit old school, but small enough to maneuver in the woods and still carry a decent load.
Plus, I'll still be putterin' with that setup after the pulse shuts down the computer controlled vehicles.

DCman
If I had to be picky, swap the 12-bolt out for something that doesn't have c-clips. I've seen some take tremendous abuse, and others that broke clips if you looked at them wrong. Having the axles slide out is never fun.....
Old 01-23-2017, 07:08 PM
Hunter

...well, I had full floaters in mind for the 12-bolt.
Old 01-23-2017, 08:49 PM
Survivor

Thanked 13,394 Times in 4,462 Posts

I didn't know they made a FF 12 bolt?
My 89 suburban has a semi-float 14. More common are FF 14 bolts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-23-2017, 08:50 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMan View Post
...well, I had full floaters in mind for the 12-bolt.
That would be cool, with a little work you could probably use most of the parts from the front axle...spindles, bearing hub, etc. I believe most 10-bolt or D44 internal spline style units will pass a 30 spline shaft with very little work.

With the width difference between the front and rear axles on most GM products you could have a bit of extra space to make some kind of adapter to the front spindle that could index in the stock bearing pocket.
Old 01-25-2017, 01:46 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedlovesjeeps71 View Post
I didn't know they made a FF 12 bolt?
My 89 suburban has a semi-float 14. More common are FF 14 bolts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
...hmmm, maybe those were 14 bolts.
Seem kinda small from what I remember, so I always figured 12 bolt.
Most assumed the same or just didn't care.

DCman
Old 01-25-2017, 02:32 PM
Ambulatory

Thanked 2,751 Times in 930 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtcd1kSdlQY
Old 01-25-2017, 05:46 PM
Hunter

KLR650, eh?

I've always had a soft spot for the M53 paratroopers bike.

.....of course, I also believe the whole world should be powered by a 5 horse Briggs.

DCman
Old 03-18-2017, 07:31 PM

Model-T would be a nice vehicle for off road. They were around before roads were paved or common. Parts are available or can be manufactured easily. They are not expensive and still many of them out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhwVjJvEjAs

http://www.carbuzz.com/resizeimg/ima...800/566855.jpg
Old 03-18-2017, 08:17 PM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabeebones View Post
Model-T would be a nice vehicle for off road. They were around before roads were paved or common. Parts are available or can be manufactured easily. They are not expensive and still many of them out there.
No thanks. No wheel brakes, wood spokes in the wheels to break, kind of useless rear-axle ratio for road travel unless you install aftermarket parts, low compression inefficient engine, etc. Now - a second version of a Model A might make more sense.
Old 03-18-2017, 08:19 PM
This is a great survival forum

The ultimate? The one you are in that is running when you need to bug out.

**Side note, there are some great looking rides in this thread. Keep 'um coming.
Old 03-19-2017, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdemaris View Post
No thanks. No wheel brakes, wood spokes in the wheels to break, kind of useless rear-axle ratio for road travel unless you install aftermarket parts, low compression inefficient engine, etc. Now - a second version of a Model A might make more sense.
Any vehicle you get you are going to modify it. Wheel brakes are available, and steel rims. My cousin modified chevy rims for his model T. Many accessories were made for the model-T. belt driven saws, pumps, generators. As well many were modified to plow fields.
Old 03-19-2017, 01:44 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,420 Times in 1,463 Posts

I just came across a blast from the past that would make a killer bugout vehicle. I saw an AMC Eagle station wagon that had 31 inch tires on it, paste this in browser

http://forums1.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=37511.0;all

They had the good 258 inline 6, full-time 4wd, and some decent cargo space in the back.
I like it because it's small enough to fit inside an average garage, so it can be kept loaded and secure, ready to go. Being able to keep it indoors is a plus, I can keep a rifle and ammo in it, bottled water and food. and keep it temperature controlled
Old 03-19-2017, 02:20 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Any vehicle you get you are going to modify it. Wheel brakes are available, and steel rims. My cousin modified chevy rims for his model T. Many accessories were made for the model-T. belt driven saws, pumps, generators. As well many were modified to plow fields
Model T Farm Tractor...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RpF-dRe0Ug
...but why mod anything? As long as you're happy with a cruise speed of about 20-25 mph and a top speed around 35-45 mph, what's to mod?
The world has already "hit the fan", so why the need to travel at high speeds?
The paved roads that cater to those speeds are going away minute by minute anyway.
Slow and steady wins the race. Something to keep in mind.

DCman
Old 03-19-2017, 03:22 PM
Trapper

Quote:
Any vehicle you get you are going to modify it. Wheel brakes are available, and steel rims. My cousin modified chevy rims for his model T. Many accessories were made for the model-T. belt driven saws, pumps, generators. As well many were modified to plow fields.
A "Rocky Mountain" brake kit for a Model T is not cheap. Plus a T is built like a Tinker-toy. Fun to play with but I cannot imagine spending money on one for the kind of use being discussed here. Not exactly a HD rig. I own a TT which is the HD version and it too is not much when compared to more modern trucks. Now a 2nd version Model A would make more sense and is much more robust. But again - why bother? You can buy a car or truck from the 60s and do a lot better. Ts were used to convert into farm equipment not because they were so rugged. More because they were all over the place and dirt-cheap. I have cut up many of them.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:39 PM

Hard to argue with the Toyota Hilux after the testing the show Top Gear did to it.
http://topgear.wikia.com/wiki/Toyota_Hilux

We dont have the Hilux over here, the Tacoma is the closest I believe. I have seen many great Tacoma BoV's
Old 03-20-2017, 02:57 PM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxoph View Post

We dont have the Hilux over here, the Tacoma is the closest I believe. I have seen many great Tacoma BoV's
Plenty of Hilux trucks were sold in the USA until the mid 90s. I have a 78 and an 88. Great trucks.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:14 PM
Hunter

Toyota used to run an ad that asked how many miles were on your Toyota pick-up.
It was designed to demonstrate the reliability of those trucks, in particular.
The winner was a farmer who had a HiLux he bought in 1973.
It had over 600,000 miles on it and the engine had never been rebuilt.
A guy I used to work with inherited his dad's '78 longbed.
He told me his dad got miffed because he had to replace the water pump at 198,000 miles, citing the engine was hardly broken in yet.
Toyota pick-up = a good thing, but ultimate SHTF vehicle? Well, I could think of worse choices, but any small pickup truck would seem to be a step in the right direction.

DCman