Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A Letter From Chad Bret F Books, Movies & Stories 31 03-24-2017 10:38 PM
GHB: The Winter Package merlinfire Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 15 12-20-2016 02:37 PM
Watch: Tractor-Mounted Machine Cuts and Splits Firewood AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 12-15-2016 09:00 PM
Solar Powered Bread Machine PAMD58 Food and water 27 10-29-2016 07:53 PM
Watch: Awesome Homemade Machine Pulling Up Dead Trees AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 10-11-2016 04:00 PM

Old 12-29-2016, 12:25 PM

Default Snow Machine

Advertise Here

For Christmas we got a blizzard. Lots of blowing snow and drifts.

The day after it took all day to get my driveway and road to the highway plowed (I live a mile from the highway on a private road).

I plowed with my 4 Wheeler as it worked, slow, but worked at eating away at the drives so a pickup w/plow could finish the job.

No biggie since I'm retired and have the time, but what if I HAD to get out in a hurry? It would take time with the 4 wheeler, and I've sold my horses so I'm thinking of getting a Snow Machine.

I don't need a fancy high speed job, I want something with power enough to pull a sled, or stone boat, to haul logs for firewood.

Anyone have an idea which machine would fit my goals.

When I was in the Alaska NG I spent a great deal of time on the Bering sea as CO of some Native NG units, we had those old SkiDo single ski jobs that were trucks. Slow but had the power to go anywhere our pull loads that would bog down a 3/4 ton pickup on dry ground.

They don't make them any more, but there has to be something close out there.

I need reliability and power, not speed.
The Following User Says Thank You to kraigwy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2016, 01:04 PM

Give this a shot

http://www.snowmobile.com/manufacturers/utility.html
Old 12-31-2016, 03:55 PM
Survivor

Thanked 11,518 Times in 2,969 Posts

Years ago I was NCOIC for a US Army SF Mobility Team. We used Polaris Widetraks; 500ish cc utility machines with incredible torque. Built for hauling loads, sleds/pulks, or multiple riders. Liquid cooled, electric start, and featuring a very useful reverse gear for backing out of get-stuck trouble. Or for towing out someone already stuck in front of you on a narrow trail or track.

In remote Rocky Mountain Colorado back country, we encountered US Forestry Service rangers utilizing identical machines while conducting solo multi-week patrols of national forest. I found that identical model/brand choice by both organizations to be telling.

They are heavy machines (500ish lbs) to dig out if you get 'em buried, but they've got gobs of low end torque/power. Fast enough on the flats & hills but not sport racing fast. Off road pickup trucks... not lightweight recreational machines. I think a similar style (500 cc - 600 cc utility machine) would meet your hauling needs. Something like these (new or used):

http://www.polaris.com/en-us/snowmobiles/choose
http://www.polaris.com/en-us/snowmob...50-widetrak-lx

In your context (getting out of a blizzard closed entry & road), such a machine could easily do the job described and also handle a passenger. With an attached pulk/sled, it could pull a litter patient if you needed to get someone to medical treatment. Or a lot of other stuff (firewood, supplies, groceries, tools, or gear).

Old 12-31-2016, 10:02 PM
Prepared

Might look at an ATV/UTV with a track kit. Can use it year-round.
The Following User Says Thank You to Str8Edge For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2016, 10:10 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,301 Times in 755 Posts

Mine are for fun, so I will let others answer this.

Ii just wanted to say thanks for calling it by its proper name.

(Also, AR over Ak, .45 over everything else, and I would rather push my Chevy than drive a ford (although a few more years and my opinion on that may soften some).
Old 01-01-2017, 12:22 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,530 Times in 1,912 Posts

One of the machines you might want to consider are the Arctic Cat Bearcat or the Polaris Widetrack. The two up option is useful if there are more than one person, and they are versatile machines for work and some play.

As mentioned above, an ATV with tracks might be something to consider.
Old 01-01-2017, 01:47 AM
Grumpy Old Bastard

Thanked 1,697 Times in 580 Posts

Why leave in a hurry? You live a mile off the nearest road and for bad guys to come get you, they'd have to have something that would make it up your drive as well..

Just wait until they get within shooting distance and start takin out their tires.. The the ground is level..
Old 03-06-2017, 04:51 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,718 Times in 883 Posts

In Russia, snowmobiles on low-pressure tires are very popular.

From snow cars

to snow buggies and snow bikes

The Following User Says Thank You to Trackball For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2017, 04:57 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,718 Times in 883 Posts

Caterpillar platform for a conventional car

Old 03-06-2017, 07:01 PM
Have gun, Will travel

Sold my snow machine and got tracks for my grizzly atv. Does everything you need.
I too live a mile back in the woods on an abandoned road (I'm the only one back here).
Tracks are well worth it and a lot cheaper than a snowmobile
Old 03-07-2017, 06:11 AM

Search for
vehicle mounted snow blower or
quad mounted snow blower

in your area

You can get them for most trucks, quads, polaris type, etc
Old 03-07-2017, 07:29 AM
Hiker

Thanked 1,050 Times in 419 Posts

We have both a quad with a blade and a snow blower. I use the snow blower to move the snow away from the driveway and the quad to level things out after I am done.

In the past we just used the quad, but in big snow years we eventually end up with no place to put the snow and have snow tunnels down the driveway that get several feet tall. The snow blower gets the bulk of the snow away from the driveway and allows me to keep the driveway cleared wider.

Our main driveway is approximately 100 feet. I can clear that in about 20 minutes with the blower (in an emergency I think I could clear it much faster...20 minutes is taking my time to get it as clear as possible). It takes me about an hour and a half to clear our whole circle (our driveway wraps around the house to another road), the road in front of the house and the neighbors driveway.

If you get a free standing machine, make sure it is self propelled and make sure both wheels are unlocked....they pretty much move themselves

Droid did it!
Old 03-08-2017, 01:29 PM
Bear Fighter

Location: North of the 45th Parallel, West of the 115th Meridian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_Red View Post
I just wanted to say thanks for calling it by its proper name.
What's improper? Snowmobile? Or snowcat? I've grown up calling any brand a snowcat, but then of course there's the official Sno-Cat, which would be good for family use, but I've seen a lot of them spend a lot of time broke down.
Old 03-11-2017, 03:27 AM
Grumpy Old Bastard

Thanked 1,697 Times in 580 Posts

Get yourself a Unimog. I used to drive one for a snow removal company in Anchorage and we primarily used it up on the hillsides around Anchorage. There's was also a road South of town that was a pretty steep incline and we had an 18' wide blade on that thing to move snow.

When you gotta get there and move snow along the way, Unimogs are the way to go. They have quite a few snow removal companies in Anchorage that use them.

They're also considered farm equipment so licensing is cheaper if required at all. And there's a lot of farm equipment that'll hook right up to them..

I've I had me a decent sized farm/ranch, I'd definitely have one of these.
The Following User Says Thank You to kl0an For This Useful Post: