Foods of the Apocalypse? Shelf lives and comfort foods - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shelf life on self canned foods? kelleygreen Food and water 84 03-26-2014 02:15 PM
Supermarket foods with the longest shelf life ? 444Hal Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 60 08-07-2013 08:56 AM
list of long shelf life foods 100dragonslayer New Member Introduction 17 04-09-2013 12:24 AM
Shelf Life of Home Dehydrated Foods NickiTX Food and water 36 01-05-2013 05:07 PM
Thrive Foods by Shelf Reliance? prankster Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 2 10-15-2012 02:01 PM
Third Party Study Finds 110 Times! the Oxygen Levels in Wise Foods over MH Foods! JC Refuge Safecastle 6 07-26-2012 11:38 AM
Foods with a very long shelf life - 5+ years ForceFed70 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 23 04-03-2012 02:26 PM
Shelf stable comfort foods and treats for kids/adults. Blackberry Queen Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 36 03-10-2012 06:57 PM
An interesting site on Shelf Life of foods jfountain2 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 7 02-27-2011 01:00 PM
Dogs and Cats: Shelf life of foods and foods to avoid. Big Horn Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 5 06-24-2010 06:42 PM

Old 01-19-2010, 05:06 PM

Default Foods of the Apocalypse? Shelf lives and comfort foods

Advertise Here

Sorry if I missed this thread, but I'm curious about shelf lives on regular groceries.

I'm not planning on an Apocalypse, but I do want to have food and water for a breakdown in services following a major natural disaster (earthquake, hurricane, etc).

I love MREs (at least the ones they had when I was a zoomie) but I doubt the family would. So that makes me wonder what food stuffs I can store to get us through a two week or so breakdown in deliveries, etc.

It seems to me that foods that require water, like condensed soups, are a no-no; they use up water you could otherwise drink, bathe, etc with. Dried goods, or even rice strikes me the same way.

Instead, I'm pondering canned goods (beans, fruits, chili, etc) that can be easily cooked. And then there's dried foods, like my kids' favorite: granola bars and beef jerky.

I recall growing up in the 70s, that everyone had a pantry full of food. My grandparents, parents, even aunts and uncles had enough food, that if push came to shove, they could feed themselves for weeks. Today, most people I know go to the grocery every week or two, and don't really store all that much at home.

What are some regular, non-mil-spec foods that I can stockpile, and keep for a year or more, without having to rotate out, serving as an emergency supply?
Old 01-19-2010, 05:10 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 26,427 Times in 10,443 Posts

wile dry foods need water you will ingest most of it so you wont lose that much but things like wheat and rice have like a 30 yr+ shelf life
Old 01-19-2010, 05:12 PM
Trapper

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=18965
The Following User Says Thank You to Resqu For This Useful Post:

Old 01-19-2010, 05:55 PM
Hiker

Really all you have to look at is the sell by date (why because not many people will bother with or for that matter need 2 years + food). Just look at what you eat if it lasts more than a year consider calculating about how much of it you need.

For example: Someone eats a can of green beans a week, that would be 51 a year, if the good expires in a year all you need to do is always have 51 cans on hand and eat the oldest first. That way you don't have to waste money on special food for prepping like MREs, and you don't have to work all that hard (you just have to buy ALOT of cans at once). All it costs in space in your house.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:31 PM
Prepared

buy canned goods that you already eat normally.

example:

My dad loves corn, so, we have cases of canned corn as part of our food storage..

1 - It lasts years.
2 - its a water source... ya the water is "corn water" but hey... it will keep you alive.

Many canned goods are canned with water.... their the hidden water source to "boost" your water consumption without having to consume water to prep.

well thats my 2 cents.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Hells Toy Master For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2010, 09:04 PM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells Toy Master View Post
1 - It lasts years.
2 - its a water source... ya the water is "corn water" but hey... it will keep you alive.

Many canned goods are canned with water.... their the hidden water source to "boost" your water consumption without having to consume water to prep.

well thats my 2 cents.
I never thought of that. I am going to put more canned vegitables in my preps because of your post. LoL
Old 01-19-2010, 09:24 PM
Broken Richaed Grunt

Twinkies
Old 01-19-2010, 09:26 PM

Cigars and scotch. I need my comfort!
The Following User Says Thank You to NoTyranny For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2010, 09:34 PM
Freedom Patriot

Spam and canned meats will last. Ive heard of spam from WWII still being eaten. Most canned goods will be good 10+ years.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Richard1776 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2010, 09:58 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts

Here's few not all something I would want to eat but they would work ok.
Canned meats tuna chicken ham roast beef
corned beef hash, ravilos, spegettios, chili, beanie weanies,dinty moore beef stew, canned fruits and veggies. Applesauce, dried fruit, nuts, raisins, granola, crackers, dry cereal, cheese and crackers, peanut butter and jelly,
instant rice, potatoes using the liquids from the cans and the meats will allow you to make a casserole type meal. Just remmeber some of these foods are high in salt and will make you thirsty. Canned fruit and veggies juices would help for variety.
The problem is this stuff is heavy but if your not on foot or sheltering in or driving with it that won't be such and issue.
The Following User Says Thank You to eqgirl For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2010, 10:44 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 143,848 Times in 42,404 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells Toy Master View Post

example:

My dad loves corn, so, we have cases of canned corn as part of our food storage..

1 - It lasts years.

well thats my 2 cents.
The problem with most canned vegetables is that the water has too much salt. Salt is dehydrating if the concentration is high enough. It's better to just have a seperate source of fresh water. A 2 week supply isn't that hard to set aside.

As for as storage life of foods, here's a good website that gives you an idea of what to expect from your favorite foods:
www.stilltasty.com
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2010, 10:54 PM
I drink your milkshake!

Thanked 2,705 Times in 978 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
The problem with most canned vegetables is that the water has too much salt. Salt is dehydrating if the concentration is high enough. It's better to just have a seperate source of fresh water. A 2 week supply isn't that hard to set aside.

As for as storage life of foods, here's a good website that gives you an idea of what to expect from your favorite foods:
www.stilltasty.com
Question. Do you think that the salt content will be high enough in most canned goods to have a dehydrating effect? I definitely think you shouldn't rely on it solely as a water source but that extra bit of salt will be helpful when you are outside working. Most of us have no idea how hard we will have to physically work on a daily basis just to stay alive when everything stops.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:22 PM
Trapper

Thanked 3,386 Times in 552 Posts
Default Two weeks?

Troglodad, you said two weeks of food?

Peanut butter and honey.

Needs no refrigeration.

Some bread would be a big plus.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:12 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,445 Times in 1,764 Posts

I will second Dinty Moore stews. You get meat , potatoes, veggies and broth all in one can. I have about 40 cans in the pantry now all with expiration dates after 2012. In my opinion Dinty Moore stews are one of the best bang for the buck. We add two cans of veggies to one can of Dinty Moore Chicken Pot Pie and that will feed 4 people. Stews and chunky soups are easy meals. Our first choices for long term meals. Kingfish
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kingfish For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2010, 01:09 AM
Walking methane refinery

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemoreday View Post
Question. Do you think that the salt content will be high enough in most canned goods to have a dehydrating effect? I definitely think you shouldn't rely on it solely as a water source but that extra bit of salt will be helpful when you are outside working. Most of us have no idea how hard we will have to physically work on a daily basis just to stay alive when everything stops.
That's a hard question to answer for several reasons. First off, the salt level varies according to brand, secondly, the nutrition label doesn't give the information we need because it measures sodium per serving of drained food, and thirdly, I'm not a nutritionist by a long shot. I know by my own tastebuds that the liquids range from not salty at all in most greens, peas and things like that, to "too salty" in most canned corn and beans, to "pure brine" in things like mushrooms or mackerel.

I agree that we may be sweating an aweful lot of it out. But the thing to consider is that sodium needs to be balanced with potassium and a few other electrolytes and minerals. Most of the food storage plans I've seen that were based heavily on canned foods or prepared dry foods like freeze dried entrees, tuna helper, etc., tended to be high sodium low potassium. We all know that a high sodium diet isn't a good idea, especially considering the low potassium aspect of it.

Sometimes you can find low sodium or "no salt added" canned goods. But beggars can't be choosers when we're trying to buy in bulk for the best price. I prefer the no salt added foods because it lets me season them to my particular taste. That's why I buy a lot of dehydrated veggies and can and dry my own. It helps dilute out the higher salt foods, and brings fruits and veggies into the diet that contain higher levels of potassium. I eat out of my food storage almost 100% and I'm in good health so far.

For a 2 week supply, I wouldn't worry about sodium level at all. I just wouldn't want to plan on using the canning liquid. For those planning long term supplies, things like that are important to take into consideration. Especially if you aren't going to have a garden. A garden gives you a lot of the vitamins and minerals that you are going to have a hard time getting from many of the storage foods.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2010, 01:12 AM
Walking methane refinery

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfish View Post
I will second Dinty Moore stews. You get meat , potatoes, veggies and broth all in one can. I have about 40 cans in the pantry now all with expiration dates after 2012. In my opinion Dinty Moore stews are one of the best bang for the buck. We add two cans of veggies to one can of Dinty Moore Chicken Pot Pie and that will feed 4 people. Stews and chunky soups are easy meals. Our first choices for long term meals. Kingfish
Toss in a few cans of Sweet Sue chicken and dumplin's and that's a good start. I know it's nothing but meat and flour, but it sure is good eatin' for canned food.
Old 01-20-2010, 05:03 AM
I love this forum

ive had food stored since the 90s, some can goods have leaked over the years, but i would say 90% is still good enough to eat for survial. i may sweep out the pantry and post a pic of my y2k food stores so yall could get a idea of what keeps and what didn"t
Old 01-20-2010, 05:53 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 1,414 Times in 617 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemoreday View Post
The more sodium you take in, the more water your body will retain to dilute the sodium concentrations. Ever notice how much sodium is in gatorade? It also helps to replenish electrolites, and prevents dehydration if you have been sweating alot.

A diet high in sodium can cause hypertension though.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:08 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,385 Times in 554 Posts

I have been working diligently at acquiring a good 6 mos. food supply for 4 people. I read up on food combinations that give a person all the nutrients you need in meals to survive. Fist of all under duress during crisis it is well known that one must increase their caloric and fat intake. You will be either wearing off weight by means or increased exercise or via worry. To be healthy you need all the essential amino acids. Meat is a complete source of this but also certain food combinations can achieve that. Rice and beans are important because if you eat rice and beans together in one meal you get the complete essential amino acid group. I encourage you to look up combination food groups that complete the essential amino acids necessary to sustain life. Rice especially jasmine have high levels of b vitamins and calcium. We all know those are important. Rice, beans, then canned meats like spam, chicken, tuna, those dak hams. Then add in the vegetables and fruits.

History proves the need for vitamin C. I encourage you to put a few bottles this in your storage. I also have ascorbic acid crystals because it is used for canning as well as lemon juice as a preservative. I have a case of beans and weenies, refried beans, chili and cases of progresso soups and spagetti sauce canned not in a jar. I several bags of beans in different varieties, rice, pasta, and mac and cheese. I keep 2 pounds of nuts per person and rotate it out, granola bars, oatmeal, cream of wheat, grits, and peanut butter, jelly, and honey.

I purchased a bottled water dispenser that holds the 5 gallon water bottles and keep 12 on hand at all times and rotate them on a constant basis. This gives me a two week supply of fresh water for four people at all times. One more thing to mention along with all these canned goods and store boxed goods I purchased dehydrated vegetalbes, fruits and beans from an online source called Harmony House. I have been pleased with them so far.

I purchase one case of MREs for the times I cant get the other food heated and a case of freeze dried hamburger.

Having a few different methods of stored food will give me even more of a variety.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ryn For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2010, 10:54 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,851 Times in 817 Posts

Go here; it's one of the 'sticky' threads listed above the new ones in the forum under the general subforum.