Canning Foods, Poisoning Foods, and reusable lids - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
foods to protect and treat radiation poisoning Post18guy Nuclear, Biological and Chemical (NBC) Survival 13 05-31-2015 06:31 PM
Reusable plastic canning lids bunkerbuster Food and water 2 09-26-2014 06:13 AM
Reusable Canning Lids Mic Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 9 04-24-2012 05:43 PM
Reusable canning lids. 777 Reviews and questions 2 03-21-2012 10:03 PM
Tattler Reusable Canning Lids theberkeyguy For Sale 2 10-26-2011 10:36 AM
Tattler Reusable Canning Lids theberkeyguy LPC Survival Ltd. - The Berkey Guy 2 09-22-2011 10:41 AM
Reusable Canning Jar Lids ELBUFO Food and water 8 09-16-2011 11:28 AM
Has anyone tried the Tattler Reusable Canning Lids? janefilmore Food and water 10 07-18-2011 04:25 PM
Reusable Canning Lids Wildrose Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 20 09-13-2010 06:34 PM
Reusable Canning lids technojunkie Food and water 10 03-01-2010 01:45 PM

Old 07-14-2009, 07:31 PM
Limpin to safety.

Thanked 17,051 Times in 4,603 Posts
Default Canning Foods, Poisoning Foods, and reusable lids

Advertise Here

First let me show you this letter written by the son of the inverter. These lids are reusable, and if the seals go bad, you can buy more relatively cheap.

I feel I shall be stormed with e-mail questions so I am going to prepare a bit of a generic response so if you hear someone else got nearly word for word do not be surprised. I shall address specific questions.
This product was developed to fill a need for a re-usable home canning jar lid. It does everything it is claimed to. We do guarantee them to last a lifetime or we will replace it free, we have never had a request for a single lid.
They work in any accepted method of use, pressure cooker, boiler, etc. They come with a rubber ring which is also re-usable so long as it is not damaged, (cut or stretched).
They are especially desirable for acid foods, pickles, peppers, tomatoes etc., since the will not corrode. We have only recently disposed of product that was canned over 20 years ago and they were still tightly sealed. (We did not and do not recommend use of food with extended age, this was only furnished as interesting info.)
The current trend toward home canning has renewed our thought of going back into production due to demand.
As I posted, a word of caution, some time ago a quantity of Quality Control rejected product “disappeared”. Be wary, we are not currently selling on e-bay for this reason. A bargain is not always a bargain. We will not guarantee product purchased on the secondary market. Be safe, purchase only from the original manufacturer and producer.
Current pricing is as follows.
3 dozen pak of Regular size $19.95
3 dozen pak of Wide Mouth $22.95
Extra rubber rings @ $2.50 per dozen.
Shipping will be calculated to destination.
We accept all major credit cards except American Express. There is a 5% Credit card processing fee (sorry but that’s what the cc companies charge). Checks and money orders must clear prior to shipping. Product ships within 10 days of cleared payment.
Payment address is Loren Stieg, 20217 US 10, Reed City, Mich., 49677
Thank you for your interest in our product.
e-mail orders accepted [email protected]
Regular mail orders accepted, Loren C. Stieg, 20217 U.S. 10, Reed City, Mi., 49677

L.C. Stieg

Catch that? Reusable Canning lids, for Pressure canning. The initial start up is pricey, but in my opinion worth it.

Now for poisons.

Anyone hear about this?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...012601831.html

Over half the Commercial products containing High-Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS) Contain Mercury! WTF is wrong with the FDA? Who regulates our food, and why aren't they doing something?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Crutch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2009, 07:57 PM
Hiker

$$$ of course. There is big money in corn and HFCS.

Mercury is really nasty. I've been working to get HFCS out of our diets as much as possible amd it is not easy. You have to give up on prepared ANYTHING to do this. It is even in most breads.

Is there a web site for the rings? I'm curious. I have a number of old canning jars, with glass tops. I bought rubber rings for them from Lehman's (http://www.lehmans.com/) and I use them for dry goods.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HFTB-PFTW For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2009, 10:07 PM
Mom of 2 Soldiers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crutch View Post
First let me show you this letter written by the son of the inverter. These lids are reusable, and if the seals go bad, you can buy more relatively cheap.

I feel I shall be stormed with e-mail questions so I am going to prepare a bit of a generic response so if you hear someone else got nearly word for word do not be surprised. I shall address specific questions.
This product was developed to fill a need for a re-usable home canning jar lid. It does everything it is claimed to. We do guarantee them to last a lifetime or we will replace it free, we have never had a request for a single lid.
They work in any accepted method of use, pressure cooker, boiler, etc. They come with a rubber ring which is also re-usable so long as it is not damaged, (cut or stretched).
They are especially desirable for acid foods, pickles, peppers, tomatoes etc., since the will not corrode. We have only recently disposed of product that was canned over 20 years ago and they were still tightly sealed. (We did not and do not recommend use of food with extended age, this was only furnished as interesting info.)
The current trend toward home canning has renewed our thought of going back into production due to demand.
As I posted, a word of caution, some time ago a quantity of Quality Control rejected product “disappeared”. Be wary, we are not currently selling on e-bay for this reason. A bargain is not always a bargain. We will not guarantee product purchased on the secondary market. Be safe, purchase only from the original manufacturer and producer.
We accept all major credit cards except American Express. There is a 5% Credit card processing fee (sorry but that’s what the cc companies charge). Checks and money orders must clear prior to shipping. Product ships within 10 days of cleared payment.
Regular mail orders accepted, Loren C. Stieg, 20217 U.S. 10, Reed City, Mi., 49677

L.C. Stieg

Catch that? Reusable Canning lids, for Pressure canning. The initial start up is pricey, but in my opinion worth it.

Now for poisons.

Anyone hear about this?

Over half the Commercial products containing High-Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS) Contain Mercury! WTF is wrong with the FDA? Who regulates our food, and why aren't they doing something?

I saw the canning re-usables a while back over at frugalvillage.com (I live at the dehydrator thread lol) there was some chatter but no one I know has actually used them....I think you should get some and give us a review.

Yep that mercury thing is B A D....fda? who are they? they do practically nothing about important stuff but are going to ban tylenol (because we might drink alcohol with them) gaaaaaaa fda....ok I'll be quiet...I could write a dissertation on crap like that....lol
The Following User Says Thank You to LastDragonfly For This Useful Post:

Old 07-15-2009, 07:12 AM
Hiker

I found that same info yesterday and will be ordering a pack of regular and wide mouth next payday.
The Following User Says Thank You to technojunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2009, 07:33 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,092 Times in 743 Posts

Crutch, if you haven't heard of it, you might want to do a google on Codex Alimentarius or Agenda 21 to find out what the government has in store for us in the food department.

It goes into effect in December of this year. There are also several youtube videos on the subject.

BTW, it isn't good.

Thanks for the info on the canning jar lids.
The Following User Says Thank You to Belladonna For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2009, 09:17 AM
Limpin to safety.

Just what the hell is wrong with this world? A guy walking in the middle of a crouded mall, holding an ak47 all wide eyed and paniced, is LEAGUES saner then these A holes we put into power. I am not trying to rant, but seriously, wtf?

This stuff is scaring me. I just read about MSG being in bloody EVERYTHING. They changed the name so many times, NO ONE knows what its called.

I have a baby on the way, what is wrong with them? I tell you, if the Anti Christ isn't here, he should be. I think our leaders have even the Devil beat on evil.
Old 07-15-2009, 01:24 PM
Believe in Yourself

Thanked 4,880 Times in 2,185 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crutch View Post

L.C. Stieg

Now for poisons.

Anyone hear about this?

Hey Crutch
Great info!
Do you have a contact # Or web site for these lids?
Thanks
Old 07-15-2009, 02:10 PM
6 Boys and 13 Hands

Thanked 22,783 Times in 6,017 Posts

The hits I got for L.C. Stieg is for a Real Estate Broker. All other links are dead.

My mom used these Morris Plastic reusable lids, however a search of the net doesn't bring up anything. Anyone know if they are still in business?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Morris.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	9.1 KB
ID:	17604  
The Following User Says Thank You to Creek Walker For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2009, 03:50 PM
Believe in Yourself

Thanked 4,880 Times in 2,185 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creek Walker View Post
The hits I got for L.C. Stieg is for a Real Estate Broker. All other links are dead.

My mom used these Morris Plastic reusable lids, however a search of the net doesn't bring up anything. Anyone know if they are still in business?

Just talked to L.C.
231-912-0525

Web sites down temp.
I'm planning on ordering at least a pack of each
on the morning.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alergyfree For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2009, 05:50 PM
PERMANENTLY REDACTED

Thanked 1,652 Times in 665 Posts
Default ?????

Me thinks this sounds dubious. Since I have a God Load of lids, I am hesitant.
PLEASE, PLEASE. SOMEBODY TRY THESE, AND REPORT. In all fairness you should re-can with the same lid at least a half a million times. Until these pass the test of time, don't get rid of your regular lids.
This dose however sound interesting!
The Following User Says Thank You to ELBUFO For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2009, 08:12 PM
Limpin to safety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELBUFO View Post
Me thinks this sounds dubious. Since I have a God Load of lids, I am hesitant.
PLEASE, PLEASE. SOMEBODY TRY THESE, AND REPORT. In all fairness you should re-can with the same lid at least a half a million times. Until these pass the test of time, don't get rid of your regular lids.
This dose however sound interesting!
Your wish is my command! haha

No I may even *gasp* make a video of them.

From following up on the guy, and trolling around, I have heard amazing reviews. On the other hand, its a no brainer why big box stores like Walmart or whom ever, wouldn't openly sell his product.

Once you buy 30 seals, your good for life. The ball seals only last 4 years used or not. (depending on storage and your willingness to risk contaminated foods that may kill you.)

In canning, remember this. Acid levels are the HUGE factor. Metal tastes, and rust over time helps ruin the foods you store.

As a person who has ate foods well passed 2 years, I have to tell you. I think we can get a lot more out of canning then what they are providing, and suggesting. Food breaking down in texture but still edible and healthy, is a big deal to me.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:23 PM
Limpin to safety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creek Walker View Post

I don't know what is going on in the canning world.

I am an expert troller. I can find anything given time.

However, if I am honest with you, I will sound like a conspiracy nutt.

The guy lost his web site address after one day of it expiring. That almost NEVER happens, unless the buyer is only looking for a quick resell. Or unless its a name that is useful... not in his case. That sets of alarms. The dot net pump and dump ended in the 90's.

Then when you try and do research on the guy, every source says he is legit. People are happy. Some even say they use other sources for the rubber seals with great results. However,if it does as good as he says, and everyone is happy, why haven't the Mormons picked this up? Why haven't canning web sites went crazy over it? Why is everything so Hush hush?

I am going to, if no one else does, buy the seals and lids. I will try them out. However, if you think about it, why shouldn't it work? The only down side is working with plastics. (which I am not a fan of)

Researching any of these companies also have come up null. Maybe I will just roll the dice on a few hundred bucks. However if I get screwed, expect much noise. Being a poor man, I need every dollar I have.
Old 07-29-2009, 02:01 PM

Default Reusable lids

You can make your own re-usable lids by using FDA food grade o-rings made of silicone, viton or other food compatible rubber. A plastic or coated metal lid would be needed, possibly you can just re-use the single use lids, as long as you keep the screw rings on to compress the o-ring.

Note that there are trade offs for some of these materials. Plastics can have short lifespans of several years, which defeats the purpose of having re-usable lids. Many plastics also have long term creep issues, where they will change shape to conform to any external forces, such as the vacuum inside the jar. Some plastics also have very low temperature limits or will interact with food. Teflon is almost perfect except that it has serious creep issues.

Metals must be coated to prevent chemical reactions with the outside and jar contents. All rubber and plastic material will allow some gas to slowly leak through them, especially silicones. Probably not a issue for 6 month storage, but for 3 years, you might want to do some tests before relying on it.

Square shaped Viton o-rings and coated metal lids would probably the the best combination. In a pinch the metal lids could be re-coated with parafin wax to seal them should they get scratched. Other food safe waxes might be OK too if they resist acids. Or you can skip the o-ring and use wax, though it's easy to get a bad seal using just wax.

The claim of having a seal 20 years later and infinite gasket lifetime of the product being discussed in this thread seems hard to believe. Unless the manufacture provides details on what the lids/seals are made of I would not trust it for long term storage until it's been proven for 5/10 years of wide use that can be independently verified.

If I was going to depend on it, all glass jars with extra seals is the way to go. The ones that use bail wires so you can re-seal them after use.

http://www.villagekitchen.com/mfg/bo...r_gaskets.html
http://www.weckcanning.com/
The Following User Says Thank You to itchy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2009, 03:00 PM
Limpin to safety.

Guys follow his link. Has anyone tried these?

First, thanks for posting that itchy. Also welcome to our forums! 1 post, and its this, I am impressed!

So what do you guys think? Anyone here want to be the first to test them?