Dogs and Cats: Shelf life of foods and foods to avoid. - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shelf life on self canned foods? kelleygreen Food and water 84 03-26-2014 02:15 PM
Supermarket foods with the longest shelf life ? 444Hal Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 60 08-07-2013 08:56 AM
shelf life life of home canned foods perduepro Food and water 57 05-28-2013 06:41 PM
list of long shelf life foods 100dragonslayer New Member Introduction 17 04-09-2013 12:24 AM
Shelf Life of Home Dehydrated Foods NickiTX Food and water 36 01-05-2013 05:07 PM
Foods with a very long shelf life - 5+ years ForceFed70 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 23 04-03-2012 02:26 PM
An interesting site on Shelf Life of foods jfountain2 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 7 02-27-2011 01:00 PM
Foods of the Apocalypse? Shelf lives and comfort foods Troglodad Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 31 01-21-2010 01:35 PM

Old 06-24-2010, 01:45 PM
Save a life; carry a gun.

Default Dogs and Cats: Shelf life of foods and foods to avoid.

Advertise Here

Cats

Cats are obligate carnivores. That means that they must have meat. They have very short intestines which do not allow them to receive necessary nutrition from any vegetable matter. They get by on dry food: but it's not good. Over weight cats are particularly subject to Diabetes Type 2 when fed dry food. Cats of the proper weight are not free from risk. Canned cat food contains extra Taurine, an important nutrient for cats.

Dogs

Dogs are more omnivorous. But they certainly prefer meat. Canned food has meat, some brands more, some less.

Both dogs and cats like what they like. My dogs, as well as a cat I had, think potato wedges represent the ultimate treat. I have a cat who begs for potato chips. But limit this stuff. No garlic, onions, grapes, raisins, etc. Here's a good link:

http://www.peteducation.com/article....+1659&aid=1030

I have had both dogs and cats deathly ill from raw food. Avoid it. After TEOTWAWKI, veterinary drugs and services may be in short supply.

Shelf life of dry foods ranges from six months to one year. The natural foods have the shortest shelf lives, as without preservatives, oils become rancid sooner. Canned foods last two years or more when stored between 40 and 90 degrees. Temperatures above 90 shorten shelf life. Temperatures below 40 can lead to change in color and a loss of palatability. The latter is very important. If they refuse to eat, what do you do? And no, no dog eats everything.

Thre's another advantage to stocking pet food. When contaminated products are recalled, that food won't have yet to be used.
Old 06-24-2010, 01:56 PM
Target Shooter

Cat brings me food. Even ate the entrails out of the last bird leaving only meat.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:06 PM
Who is John Galt?

Wow....that is a cool website....learned much just spending 5 minutes there....thanks.

Old 06-24-2010, 05:44 PM

I was considering the freeze dried #10 can s of meat for my cats and dogs. It is human grade and inspected as such. Another wonderful website full of useful information is www.onlynaturalpet.com On the left side of the screen is an extensive menu of topics. About cats, they have a very short digestive tract. A cat will eat a mouse, bird, or lizard raw bones and all without ill effect. Think about the ratio of a mouse or bird. It is mostly meat, bones and feathers/fur. The only grains (aka the bulk of what kibble is made up of) are what is in the stomach of that tiny creature. They been doing it since they came into being. This INCLUDES our domestic cats. I agree most kibble is like junk food. A couple great books include "What Pets Die For" by Ann Martin, "The Pet Lover's Guide To Natural Healing For Cats & Dogs" by Barbara Fougere, "Natural Nutrition for Cats" by Kymythy Schultze and "Real Food for Cats" by Patti Delmonte. ONe of my favorite sites on this matter is www.catinfo.org.
The Following User Says Thank You to NiraBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2010, 05:52 PM
TechGeekInNature

My lady and I raw feed our animals. She has done it for over 30 years, and her own parents raw feed their animals.

To say to avoid raw feeding is wrong. Just have to know HOW.

Too many people take raw feeding as giving nothing but meat, the problem is a dog needs bone.

Or they switch their animal directly to 100% raw from kibble, again, this is not good. It will put a shock on their system that will in turn cause major issues.

In the wild, a dog would eat the whole rabbit. This would give everything the dog needs, including some greens from the rabbit's digestion track.

I am working with my lady on getting a post of how we raw feed, and also include kibble in case shtf in a way that makes raw feeding not possible. It will be a couple weeks before it's finished. (She is on the road at the moment)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zolon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2010, 06:42 PM
I love this forum

My cats and dogs all get organically raised raw meat (beef, chicken, quail, venison, bison and rabbit), chunked and ground; with bone, fat and organ meat included. They also get some canned (to keep them used to eating canned, incase I cannot get raw, esp. the cats). Higher quality, holistic kibble and freeze-dried meat is added for a treat. Raw meat is the *best* for them, the closest to what they are physiologically designed to survive on. I also feed my cats organic yogurt, and everyone gets the *occasional* organic cooked eggs.

I've put 'a few' deathly ill cats and dogs *on* raw meat and saved there lives, cleared up skin problems and dental issues. Not with the raw meat fresh out of the store meat case with the antibiotics and growth hormones, but organic meat that is safer for them to eat in a raw state than store-bought meat would be.

Many of these higher-end kibble and freeze-dried foods come in mylar bags, and have a many-month to one year storage life. The all-freeze-dried I've kept in storage for about a year at a time, but generally feed it out by about 8-9 months. I keep a running two-year supply each of canned and raw-frozen meat. In fact, don't laugh, but the cats and dogs have their own set of storage shelving and their own freezer.