What's your "EVERY TIME" prep? - Page 4 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Prep Level ejl923 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 42 04-06-2017 04:36 AM
Earthquake Prep question purplelady Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 11 02-02-2017 05:14 PM
Lyman Case Prep Xpress, 115V - $83.40 shipped slickguns.com For Sale 0 01-27-2017 02:30 PM
Supply a Personal Prep Kit AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 01-06-2017 10:00 PM
Just a reminder-it doesn't take a big disaster for it to pay to prep. NY Min Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 27 10-31-2016 01:05 PM

Old 03-20-2017, 12:01 PM
off-grid organic farmer

Thanked 31,993 Times in 12,740 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Helpful Post 
Total Awards: 1

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt66paul View Post
... While it is wise to put some away for that rainy day, you still have to live your life
You can do both. Here in my area you can do both on a Minimum-Wage income.

Quote:
... Bringing up children will run you broke
It could, depends on you though.

Quote:
... If my folks had paid attention to the area in which they lived, they could have spent more and gotten it all back when the sold out, rather than having a house the never accrued value because of the neighborhood.
Homes do not appreciate evenly, just because they were not middle class has no bearing on whether their house appreciated. It sounds to me like they were in high crime areas, which has no direct connection to hoarding money.

Quote:
... Everywhere they lived, they got unannounced visits when they were gone by the neighbors - inside the house. They never had anything nice enough to steal, thier money was in the bank.
They were in a high crime neighborhood. It sounds like you are trying to equate 'high crime' with 'low income', that does not work.

Quote:
... Keeping money for money's sake will never make you happy. You still die and if you don't see doctors or dentists, that quality of life is NOT there. Money should be spent for the normal things, living without is pennywise and pound foolish.
Happiness is rarely linked to spending habits.

Quote:
... There is a point when you should spend some money for you and your family's comfort. Taking care of yourself and family is of primary importance, being part of society and going along with it is a proper prep. Yes, we need to look to the future, but hoarding money is NOT the way.
Some people have been homeless, so hoarding becomes a part of them.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:19 PM
I have control issues

Thanked 4,164 Times in 1,959 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nes999 View Post
Where you you buy your precious metals I always have had a larger cash stash but I recently thought about buying a little bit of silver.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
I buy from a local shop. Transactions are face-to-face, in cash. Stored in my own private hidey-hole. No way to "track" them. "They" can't take what "they" don't know you have.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:19 PM
Trapper

Physical fitness Everyday, mostly stamina,i.e. jogging
The Following User Says Thank You to spundj For This Useful Post:

Old 03-20-2017, 06:00 PM
Bad Moon Rising

Thanked 1,383 Times in 291 Posts

AMMO
""
""
""
""
""

-von
Old 03-20-2017, 06:11 PM
Bad Moon Rising

Thanked 1,383 Times in 291 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harriman View Post
Every payday (two weeks):

I get $20 in gold coins from the bank.

I spend $20 on some form of ammo that fits my needs (not the only time I buy ammo, but I do it every time)

I buy 2 gallons of bleach to store.

I buy a four roll of TP to store (flattened and stacked in storage bins to keep the meece away)

I buy an "entertainment" of some sort. Usually a book, occasionally a vid.

I Usually also buy a 10-20lb bag of some dry good I want to improve on in my preps.
Um, well, you do know those Sacagawea $1 coins are not real gold, right?

(Can't imagine what else you're referring to. 1/10th oz Gold Eagle is around $140, so unless someone is selling you 1/7th of a 1/10th oz coin for $20, you ain't buying gold.)

Bleach does NOT store well. 6-months and it starts to break down. After 1-yr, it's close to worthless. After 2-yrs, your bleach is salt water.

HIGHLY suggest you store Calcium Hypochlorite instead.

Search the forums for proper storage and usage. How you store it is important.

-von
The Following User Says Thank You to Von For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2017, 02:35 PM
MyPrepperLife

Thanked 2,195 Times in 915 Posts

It used to be that I would buy a big pak of DuraCell 10 Year batteries (AAA, A, C, or D) every time I went to Walmart. I've stopped doing that because now I have a big supply of these batteries; any batteries I buy in future will be Eneloop rechargeables, which aren't sold at our local Walmart.

Currently, my thing to buy at Walmart is wooden matches. I buy 3 packs of 320 matches (960 matches total) each time I go there.

I've been buying aspirin at Dollar Tree quite a lot, too.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MyPrepperLife For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2017, 03:35 PM
Don't start no mess

Thanked 8,291 Times in 2,479 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyPrepperLife View Post
It used to be that I would buy a big pak of DuraCell 10 Year batteries (AAA, A, C, or D) every time I went to Walmart. I've stopped doing that because now I have a big supply of these batteries; any batteries I buy in future will be Eneloop rechargeables, which aren't sold at our local Walmart.

Currently, my thing to buy at Walmart is wooden matches. I buy 3 packs of 320 matches (960 matches total) each time I go there.

I've been buying aspirin at Dollar Tree quite a lot, too.
Yes on eneloop. Look for the ones made in Japan.
While stocking up on matches, consider Bics too.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Revision For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2017, 09:07 PM
MyPrepperLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revision View Post
Yes on eneloop. Look for the ones made in Japan.
Thanks. Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revision View Post
While stocking up on matches, consider Bics too.
I have quite a few Bics.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:26 PM
[199]wks to off-grid esc.

Helpful posts on the batteries and bics, that's something I don't think on as much as I should. That reminds me of another "every time" I have that someone might find worthwhile. Every time I make a purchase from Amazon, I tack on one of these....

https://www.amazon.com/Flashlight-Re...ght+waterproof

Solar, dynamo, rechargeable waterproof flashlights. I've purchased several of these over the past decade and give them out to family and friends as a way to plant a seed of preparedness (especially in my kids, I often ask them if they have their flashlight with them and they most often do). I also try to keep one of these in every bag, drawer, vehicle, outbuilding, and gun case. Of the 2 dozen or so I've purchased without regard to brand name, I've never had one fail yet, and the oldest in my stock still holds a good charge, stays charged if left in a sunny spot, and is able to be charged up with a quick crank. They are submersible for at least a short time, and needless to say I find them about the best thing since sliced bread.

I've experimented with other similar flashlights and greatly prefer the ones that look like this one, but have seen them sold under several brand names and colors.

I usually paint them with an earth tone texture paint that dries to create a bed-liner type protective coating that further waterproofs them, and I attach QD molle clips using a braided paracord thong making them even more handy. I have one of these hanging on every backpack and hunting pack, and they always seem to be charged up when I need them.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018B0JMOK?psc=1

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KeyserSoSay For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2017, 06:36 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,000 Times in 544 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForestBeekeeper View Post
....Homes do not appreciate evenly, just because they were not middle class has no bearing on whether their house appreciated. It sounds to me like they were in high crime areas, which has no direct connection to hoarding money......

.....They were in a high crime neighborhood. It sounds like you are trying to equate 'high crime' with 'low income', that does not work......
In the suburbs of Los Angeles and other cities in Ca, low resale areas are high crime. If it is a predominately a black area, white kids are targets. If you are white and live there, the neighbors will talk about how much money you must have around the house, because you sure don't spend it on cars or nice furnishings and no one has ever seen you drunk or high.

A latino area isn't as bad, but the kids must join the homeboys and hang out with them, or always look over thier backs. After they are in thier 20s and the parents are in thier 50s and they have lived there a while, they are part of the neighborhood and even the big bad gang bangers will help a woman with her groceries, they are mostley respectful of the elders in the neighborhood. You have to remember that many of the life timers in thier neighborhood have been in prison, latino or white.

In so called "white trash" areas, or racially mixed, many of the white kids and young adults are using meth, and so are the middle class latinos or 50/50s(one white parent, one latino parent).

So you buy the very best neighborhood you can, the one with the best schools and the one where LEOs live. The homes are still half a million and up for anything that isn't infested with rats and bugs.

I am not trying to dis anyone or be racist here, this is the way it is within 30-40 miles of downtown big city.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:13 PM
off-grid organic farmer

Thanked 31,993 Times in 12,740 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Helpful Post 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt66paul View Post
In the suburbs of Los Angeles and other cities in Ca, low resale areas are high crime. If it is a predominately a black area, white kids are targets. If you are white and live there, the neighbors will talk about how much money you must have around the house, because you sure don't spend it on cars or nice furnishings and no one has ever seen you drunk or high.

A latino area isn't as bad, but the kids must join the homeboys and hang out with them, or always look over thier backs. After they are in thier 20s and the parents are in thier 50s and they have lived there a while, they are part of the neighborhood and even the big bad gang bangers will help a woman with her groceries, they are mostley respectful of the elders in the neighborhood. You have to remember that many of the life timers in thier neighborhood have been in prison, latino or white.

In so called "white trash" areas, or racially mixed, many of the white kids and young adults are using meth, and so are the middle class latinos or 50/50s(one white parent, one latino parent).

So you buy the very best neighborhood you can, the one with the best schools and the one where LEOs live. The homes are still half a million and up for anything that isn't infested with rats and bugs.

I am not trying to dis anyone or be racist here, this is the way it is within 30-40 miles of downtown big city.
I was born in California. I grew-up there, I went through the UC system for college and I owned an apartment complex in California.

When I retired, I migrated somewhere else.
Old 04-01-2017, 08:36 PM

I reached my "full" prep level a while back. What I would do would be to pick an item to focus on for a bit. It might be matches-I would buy matches until I had a large tote full. Then it might be lamp oil. Then lighters. Then OTC meds (88 cents at Walmart). Then toothbrushes. Then bandages of different sizes (Dollar stores). Then spices. Back to school would be load up on pens, pencils and spiral notebooks.

I now just use coupons. For example, I ended up with about 15 White Cloud toilet paper coupons--$1.50 off. I get the 6 packs at WM that cost $3.9x and will use all of them before they expire. I do the same with good deals on laundry detergent, dish soap, bar soap, shampoo and the like.

I just rotate as needed, but there always seems to be something on sale or with a coupon that I can use to restock. I keep a 3+ year supply of a lot of things.

At garage sales and the like I look for blankets (and I live in Florida!)
Old 04-05-2017, 09:51 AM

Every month on the 1st I replace the filter in the coffee pot, give the dog his heart med and put cleaner in all the drains, then I go out and replenish what I just used.
Every month I buy a bag of dog food on sale at Boofys (local and healthy pet food).
Every month I double the mortgage payment...getting near to paid off. Otherwise no debt.
Every month I also target items to stock up on, e.g., batteries, candles, wine and body wash. Amazing how much fun you can with those.
Once a week I buy one box of 9mm.
Once a year I have my eyes checked and if its new glasses I archive the old ones.
Twice a year I have my teeth cleaned.
Once a year I get a scrip from my doctor for 90 days of meds at my expense, in case the pharmacies (like the gas stations) lose power and can't dispense.
The Following User Says Thank You to uriel For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2017, 05:20 PM
MyPrepperLife

I've now started buying two boxes of Equate Cold & Flu capsules every time I'm in Walmart. I'm doing it because stores are starting to limit the number of boxes you are "allowed" to buy. Big Brother.

See this thread.

I want to stock up on them for my own use, and I also think they might make good barter items.
The Following User Says Thank You to MyPrepperLife For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2017, 11:23 PM
[199]wks to off-grid esc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyPrepperLife View Post
I've now started buying two boxes of Equate Cold & Flu capsules every time I'm in Walmart. I'm doing it because stores are starting to limit the number of boxes you are "allowed" to buy. Big Brother.

See this thread.

I want to stock up on them for my own use, and I also think they might make good barter items.
My wife, kids, and even my dog all have horrendous allergies, especially this time of year here with the Juniper pollen, my daughter is deathly allergic to tree nuts and shellfish, and I'm pretty seriously allergic to my own bees (I wish I could quit you queen mama). We have all kinds of Benedryl and other OTC allergy meds on hand, and I've found that to be something to stock up on for use and barter as well (epinephrine will likely not be a possibility at SHTF). Meds of all kinds for that matter- including antibiotics- are a good every-time prep, maybe in a rotation type protocol.

Good thread about fish-biotics, but there are dozens of others.
http://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...d.php?t=596657