another lesson learned, calcium hypochlorite - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files


Notices

Food and water Discussion on food and water storage, water purification and related topics.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
lesson learned, calcium hypochlorite FrakkingToaster Food and water 108 03-26-2017 02:45 AM
Storing Storing Calcium Hypochlorite with ammo David T. Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 3 02-17-2017 12:19 PM
What I learned About Chainsaw Safety AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 02-11-2017 12:30 PM
Water, Lesson Learned jmanatee Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 17 02-02-2017 10:09 PM

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2017, 02:46 PM
JimET's Avatar
JimET JimET is offline
Hiker
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Tenneesse
Posts: 591
Thanks: 800
Thanked 613 Times in 321 Posts
Default another lesson learned, calcium hypochlorite



Advertise Here

I've been checking on this bucket for about the last 4 years. Today I opened it up to find the paper, instruction paperwork and candle filter boxes, deteriorating. I've had this stored in a room that has been anywhere from 65 to 72 degrees with the top just sitting on the bucket, not sealed down. The coffee filters (still in original plastic), the spigots, and the ceramic filters still appear to be in good shape.

I am going to take Zeke's advise and use a PVC pipe to put the calcium hypochlorite in and take it out of the peanut butter jars it has been stored in. I need to get some glue for the PVC pipe. I have some but it has gotten old and no good now.

I am planning on mounting the pipe after it is sealed up on the underside of my wood shed where it will be out of the house and out of the rain. I think once it is sealed up outside moisture should not be a problem. Not sure about temperature changes being out side.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1241.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	196362   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1242.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	196370  
The Following User Says Thank You to JimET For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2017, 04:04 PM
IamZeke's Avatar
IamZeke IamZeke is online now
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 17,451
Thanks: 16,582
Thanked 32,220 Times in 12,268 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimET View Post
I've been checking on this bucket for about the last 4 years. Today I opened it up to find the paper, instruction paperwork and candle filter boxes, deteriorating. I've had this stored in a room that has been anywhere from 65 to 72 degrees with the top just sitting on the bucket, not sealed down. The coffee filters (still in original plastic), the spigots, and the ceramic filters still appear to be in good shape.

I am going to take Zeke's advise and use a PVC pipe to put the calcium hypochlorite in and take it out of the peanut butter jars it has been stored in. I need to get some glue for the PVC pipe. I have some but it has gotten old and no good now.

I am planning on mounting the pipe after it is sealed up on the underside of my wood shed where it will be out of the house and out of the rain. I think once it is sealed up outside moisture should not be a problem. Not sure about temperature changes being out side.
Good idea. Did you catch my recommendations on special gluing?
__________________
To search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all the normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
The Following User Says Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2017, 05:36 PM
JimET's Avatar
JimET JimET is offline
Hiker
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Tenneesse
Posts: 591
Thanks: 800
Thanked 613 Times in 321 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamZeke View Post
Good idea. Did you catch my recommendations on special gluing?
Yes. If I remember right it was to glue the pipe only so no glue is pushed into the interior of the tube when the ends are pushed onto the pipe. Also if I remember right to use teflon tape on the threads.
The Following User Says Thank You to JimET For This Useful Post:
 
Old 03-20-2017, 05:44 PM
IamZeke's Avatar
IamZeke IamZeke is online now
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 17,451
Thanks: 16,582
Thanked 32,220 Times in 12,268 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimET View Post
Yes. If I remember right it was to glue the pipe only so no glue is pushed into the interior of the tube when the ends are pushed onto the pipe. Also if I remember right to use teflon tape on the threads.
First is to ignore the liquid primer. Sand with 200 grit on all glued surfaces instead. Bit of a pain but that primer might be reactive since it is a hydrocarbon and chlorine reacts with it. Sanding serves the same function, just to knock the gloss off so the glue can do it's job right.

Right about glue only put on the pipe. Any excess will get pushed out on the outside not inside. Once you apply the glue and slide the threaded adapter or solid cap be sure to twist it a bit while still wet so the glue gets spread and bonds well.

Then let it outgas outside a few days before filling. You want all those glue VOC's to dissipate.
__________________
To search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all the normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2017, 02:56 PM
JimET's Avatar
JimET JimET is offline
Hiker
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Tenneesse
Posts: 591
Thanks: 800
Thanked 613 Times in 321 Posts
Default

I made a PVC pipe and put the calcium hypochlorite in it and then made a box and put the PVC tube in it. Then I hung it up under the shed. I made the box to keep the calcium hypochlorite in the dark.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1264.JPG
Views:	16
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	197594   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1266.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	197602  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JimET For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2017, 03:25 PM
IamZeke's Avatar
IamZeke IamZeke is online now
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 17,451
Thanks: 16,582
Thanked 32,220 Times in 12,268 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimET View Post
I made a PVC pipe and put the calcium hypochlorite in it and then made a box and put the PVC tube in it. Then I hung it up under the shed. I made the box to keep the calcium hypochlorite in the dark.
Looks good.
__________________
To search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all the normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
The Following User Says Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Reply

Bookmarks



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © Kevin Felts 2006 - 2015,
Green theme by http://www.themesbydesign.net