Survivalist Forum banner
14K views 46 replies 31 participants last post by  Bosco Warden 
#1 ·
Hi all, all of this radiation stuff is getting me a little freaked out and I'd rather be safe the sorry and have a ridiculous store of Iodine to fight off a potential threat than nothing.

Anyone know how to order it online? Or where to go to get it? I've heard also Potassium Iodide? Is it Iodine or Iodide? Stuff that helps your body absorb radiation. Is Iodine that red stuff that they put on you at hospitals to clean the area you're getting stitches?

And yes, I'm well aware of the fact that there could be nothing to worry about at all. I just sleep better at night knowing I have certain things in the cabinet. I know you guys here understand.

Thanks!

Please forgive if it's been posted here a thousand times. I've been working a lot, and don't have time at all to look through a ton of posts. I reall

#2 ·
you want kio3 . its Potassium iodate

Potassium Iodide will all so work but kio3 is a little safer. I believe you can get it off amazon. You used to be able to get it off ebay but the prices have increased.

If you're on the westcoast i wouldn't worry about it. Even another Chernobyl event wouldn't effect us in the short term. These pills are only good for short term effects.

#31 ·
you want kio3 . its Potassium iodate

Potassium Iodide will all so work but kio3 is a little safer.
That is false.

KI is actually preferred over KIO3.

http://www.who.int/ionizing_radiation/pub_meet/Iodine_Prophylaxis_guide.pdf
Page 26 - 6.1 said:
Stable iodine can be used either as potassium iodide (KI) or potassium iodate (KIO3). KI is the preferred alternative, since KIO3 has the disadvantage of being a stronger intestinal irritant (19).

There is no decisive difference in shelf life between KIO3 and KI. If
storage conditions are adequate, the expected shelf life of the tablets is
at least 5 years. After 5 years the iodine content may be checked and
the shelf life extended, if indicated.

#6 ·
Iodine pills don't help your body resist radiation. What they do is, each dose floods your body with non-radioactive iodine for 24 hours. This is important because nuclear events can produce radioactive iodine isotopes, and your thyroid gland is constantly absorbing iodine from your system and keeping it, sometimes for decades. Since it doesn't know the difference between radioactive and non-radioactive iodine, if you get some isotopes in your bloodstream through eating or drinking contaminated food or fluid, or breathing in contaminated air, there's a good chance your thyroid might take in some and irradiate you from the inside out for years after wards. Taking normal iodine before any fallout can arrive will prevent this, and is especially important for children and pregnant women. It won't stop external radiation, or you absorbing other isotopes like Cesium or Strontium and being internally irradiated by them.

Go to a health food store or your grocery's vitamin aisle and buy a high dose iodine supplement. That will do almost as well as the iodine pills you can buy mail order. DON'T drink the iodine they put on wounds, that's not the right stuff and it will make you very sick without doing anything to help your thyroid. And don't take too much, iodine is toxic in excessive quantities.

#10 ·
#18 ·
Although Moccasin explained things pretty well, here's more information from the CDC's website that offers a detailed explanation of KI and the recommended dosage amounts.

http://www.bt.cdc.gov/radiation/ki.asp#howmuchki

I'm within 3 miles of a nuke plant, and just spoke to the plants Emergency Preparedness Manager and one of the NRC inspectors (they receive more frequent updates on the Japan event via the NRC), who both advise that the situation is not as dire at this time, as Japan has been able to control decay heat thus far in all three reactors affected by the tsunami.

They both believe it is unlikely that the U.S. will be affected by the radioactive steam released earlier this week when they vented the pressure vessel, and that containment at all reactors involved remains intact.

Nonetheless, I think having KI on hand is a good idea as it's always better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

However, a word of caution on using KI - it should be taken only when your local emergency personnel advise you should take it due to a release. I've seen some folks on this site talking about getting geiger counters or other devices (as they don't trust the govt) to determine this 'trigger' time for themselves. Knowing folks in the nuclear industry... I don't think these steps are necessary.

Also, know that KI has a shelf life.. and like most food storage, must be rotated out.

But.... as a prepper, KI will be in my BOB and emergency first aid kit - just in case.

Oh.. and another pointer: The EP Manager indicated that the county would send all kids home from school (evacuate the schools), notifying parents of a school evac, before any formal/ general announcement would be made to the public about a release. This is to get kids back to their parents.. before any panic sets in as a result of a warning. Just wanted to share this clue...

#24 ·
The stuff that I purchased a while ago is Potassium Iodide tablets under the brand name iOSAT.

I found it at Nitro-Pak

http://www.nitro-pak.com/iosat-potassium-iodide-single-pak

It looks like the shelves are being wiped clean of these products due to the current Japanese situation. Keep in mind that this stuff has a relatively short shelf life of only 4 or 5 years.

#38 ·
Luckily I get issued the KI's at work.

#42 ·
2% tincture of iodine IS used for disinfecting contaminated water and it is very effective, but the point about it killing good intestinal flora is likely valid. It pretty much kills off everything. But so do antibiotics. There are times when such measures are necessary.

REVISION of EARLIER COMMENT about RADIATION PROTECTION:
As to its use to prevent absorbing radioactive iodine I have done further inquiry and I don't think it would work. It is not strong enough but it would be very hard to find a correct dose without overdosing. Best find and store potassium iodide tablets if you can find them. At least the patch on skin suggestion allows for absorption that the body controls by absorbing what it needs.

I still do keep and once in a while use the 2% tincture drops in water when in a dubious area where water sanitation is suspect. I've done this probably 5 times in my life with no ill effects and none of the group of us working together have experienced ill effects. One of my traveling companions is an international explorer/film maker going into the wildest of settings. In 30 years of this he's never once been sick from contaminated water/food.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.