Survivalist Forum banner

Wezo's long term wilderness shelter.

9K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  Smudge 
#1 ·

#7 ·
The roof is just right and the guy did say you can add more evergreen to make it more water proof.

Ive actually built one of these shelter and slept in it in heavy snow and can tell you from experiance that they work really well,you put a long fire at the front and a heat reflector at the rear of the fire,very warm and toasty and I got no leaks at all from the snow melting.

#5 ·
It's a nice shelter and well crafted but I don't agree with it being a long term shelter. I believe any "long term" shelter should be able to have a fire inside or small woodstove and a suitable work area and food prep area along with storage space. His shelter would be just the thing for a week or two though! +.02

#11 ·
"The roof is just right......"

Watch Ray Mears video. He knows how to build a water shedding shelter. It is common knowledge that the roof has to be very steep of they will leak water like a sieve.
Build one and try it you will see.
Now holding snow is different, a tree will keep snow off of you. It is a solid and therefore no comparison to liquid water.

#16 ·
That's a very good looking shelter. However, I think I could build one that would be a lot better in much less time. The shelter in the video is totally exposed to wind on one side and totally dependent on fire for heat. A good survival shelter can be kept warm with one's own body heat. The shelter in the video is resource intensive, you have to use up cordage and do a lot of cutting and constantly search for firewood to heat it. After a few weeks you'd be walking pretty far to find wood and expending a lot of energy.

The video Smudge posted shows a much better shelter. Less resources and he put insulation underneath the bed. The first shelter has a huge gap between the bed and the ground. You loose heat that way. Try sleeping on a cot in a sleeping bag with no pad underneath. Same thing.

#17 · (Edited)
I totally agree on the cot part and I don't like the sack idea but the shelter on the hole is a good shelter.

In the ray mears video he did say the shelter can be used at minus 50 and there is no way I'd not want a fire in those tempratures.

But here in the UK we don,t get minus 50.:thumb:

When I go winter camping I use spruce under my bivvy bag plus a thurmal mat.

#19 ·
I can see the merit in the bed tbh......... I haven't tried it so I can only offer opinion not experience.

1: Its a low lying hammock, many people hammock camp.
2: Its going to be more comfortable if going minimalist than sleeping directly on a bed of boughs
3: You can insulate it with spruce boughs if you like, or pile/scrape dead leaves underneath.
4: The hot rock idea, should work in theory although you may want another set of rocks by the fire in the night to swap over.

Regarding the roof, as he said he was planning on going back and using it as a operating base I gather he likes the roof like that............ he may or may not pile more on and work on the same principle as most debri shelters I don't know.

Over all I enjoyed watching the whole process and can see me trying this or something between this and RM's in the near future.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.