Advanced EDC: Which tools are a Must-Have and Why - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here

Old 02-08-2017, 05:50 AM
Trapper

Thanked 2,365 Times in 570 Posts
Default Advanced EDC: Which tools are a Must-Have and Why

Advertise Here

Something I did yesterday. If you feel like watching about an hour of different EDC discussion...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llPjK4oNC-Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vx_Elo3fng
FerFAL
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to FerFAL For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2017, 11:03 PM
Grumpy Old Bastard

Thanked 1,629 Times in 551 Posts

You can ask a hundred people this question and the answers would vary with each one.

A lot of it depends on your location, what's actually going on, what you know how to do (Cabin building, shelter construction, reloading ammo, etc.. etc..)

What kind of vehicle do you plan to use?

Do you need any medications and do you have a good supply of them already?

Do you have a spouse, kids?? If you have dogs, bring them along.

Search this forum and you'll find a LOT of questions and responses to questions just like this. Read as many as you can. Some of it might interest you, some of it not.

Whatever you do, practice using whatever you're taking with you. It makes no sense to carry an RPG if you've never fired one.. Just an example..
Old 02-12-2017, 11:16 PM
Bad Moon Rising

Thanked 21,798 Times in 5,791 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kl0an View Post
You can ask a hundred people this question and the answers would vary with each one.

A lot of it depends on your location, what's actually going on, what you know how to do (Cabin building, shelter construction, reloading ammo, etc.. etc..)

What kind of vehicle do you plan to use?

Do you need any medications and do you have a good supply of them already?

Do you have a spouse, kids?? If you have dogs, bring them along.

Search this forum and you'll find a LOT of questions and responses to questions just like this. Read as many as you can. Some of it might interest you, some of it not.

Whatever you do, practice using whatever you're taking with you. It makes no sense to carry an RPG if you've never fired one.. Just an example..

Heh....I like your location: "between a rock and a hard place".

With respect to your post, though, I'm going to disagree a bit. Conventional wisdom defines "Every Day Carry" (EDC) as the firearm(s) you carry on your person; the manner in which you carry it/them; the tools you carry on your person (knife, multi-tool, flashlight, cell phone, whatever); and other items that you habitually carry *on your person* (as opposed to in the trunk of your car, stashed in your locker at work, or some other non-on-body location).

For example, I generally carry a Sig P220, 2 spare mags, a Buck sheath knife, a Gerber multi-tool, and my cell phone. And my truck keys.

The only "must have item" I carry is a phillips head screwdriver on the Gerber multi-tool. I am flat-out amazed at how often it turns out that I need a phillips head screwdriver.

I'm thinking this is what FerFal was referring to, however, as always - I could be mistaken.

Old 02-12-2017, 11:22 PM
Remove Kebab

Thanked 8,495 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grotius View Post
I am flat-out amazed at how often it turns out that I need a phillips head screwdriver.
I also carry a Sig. An older P229 with one spare mag although both are the 14 round Mec-Gars.

I love the multi tools. I have a leatherman and I'm also amazed at how useful it is and how I only seem to need it when I have it. Haha.
The Following User Says Thank You to Viper6Niner For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2017, 02:18 AM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grotius View Post
Heh....I like your location: "between a rock and a hard place".

With respect to your post, though, I'm going to disagree a bit. Conventional wisdom defines "Every Day Carry" (EDC) as the firearm(s) you carry on your person; the manner in which you carry it/them; the tools you carry on your person (knife, multi-tool, flashlight, cell phone, whatever); and other items that you habitually carry *on your person* (as opposed to in the trunk of your car, stashed in your locker at work, or some other non-on-body location).

For example, I generally carry a Sig P220, 2 spare mags, a Buck sheath knife, a Gerber multi-tool, and my cell phone. And my truck keys.

The only "must have item" I carry is a phillips head screwdriver on the Gerber multi-tool. I am flat-out amazed at how often it turns out that I need a phillips head screwdriver.

I'm thinking this is what FerFal was referring to, however, as alwa ys - I could be mistaken.

Not mistaken.
While it is true that lifestyle, climate and location dictates your edc to a great degree, I found out that the basic edc I have has worked for me for almost a couple decades now, living in three countries with very different climates and a bunch of other countries I've traveled to.
Wallet, phone, key chain (with tools) wileyx sunglasses, solar watch, folder, multitool, flashlight, lighter and at times Glock has been of great use over the years, with different models and upgrades being made as time went by of course.
FerFAL
Old 02-13-2017, 12:49 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,061 Times in 2,258 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerFAL View Post
...lifestyle, climate and location dictates your edc to a great degree...
FerFAL
I have several impacts on EDC: work, recreation and specific activity. By and large, I do strive for a "core EDC" where I build based on activity, location and of course, local restrictions.

My core EDC is almost always:

Locking folding knife
Multitool (even if key-chain sized)
LED light
Burts Bees chap stick

At work, my EDC is actually pretty robust based on the room available when wearing a uniform. Of course, I can carry when in combat, but not at home in garrison

Now, when not in uniform and when I'm not on a Federal Installation, I can carry a handgun:

If you bump up the EDC to include a fanny pack, shoulder bag or even a small pack you can really maximize your versatility. The challenge is that these are really "everyday" carry items and are often what I would consider "mission specific":

I typically have the "core" for every activity from backpacking to combat, but I will often adjust based on actual occupation or activity and sometimes I do get a larger EDC bag such as an HPG Kit Bag (used for backpacking) or my work EDC bag, which is a backpack.

ROCK6
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ROCK6 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2017, 09:04 AM
Third World'er Lunatic

Thanked 28,341 Times in 9,359 Posts

my usual, every day. pistol varies.and I have different bags packed for the unusual.....
Attached Thumbnails
BOB2 438.jpg   IMG_4665 (1).jpg  
The Following User Says Thank You to Goblin X For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2017, 10:03 PM
Third World'er Lunatic

Thanked 28,341 Times in 9,359 Posts

this is the overloaded Hill people bag. sticking in there every day. not w whimper, and more important , not a single rip,tear or busted seam. cant think of anything else i could on the front of the heavy recon to make it tear/break. going to strip it back to normal shortly.
Attached Thumbnails
bag 2 hill people 003.jpg  
The Following User Says Thank You to Goblin X For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2017, 10:24 PM
Fenced In

Thanked 2,362 Times in 1,173 Posts

Wow, it must be EDSC - Every Day SIG Carry - around here, and I'm in the club too.

- SIG P239 (Cardini Leather IWB holster)
- CRKT F1000 flashlight
- Leatherman Wingman multitool
- Kershaw RJI folding knife (dedicated defensive knife) or "work carry" knife (rotates)

Anything else is in my GHB.
The Following User Says Thank You to Inazone For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2017, 10:38 AM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCK6 View Post
I have several impacts on EDC: work, recreation and specific activity. By and large, I do strive for a "core EDC" where I build based on activity, location and of course, local restrictions.

My core EDC is almost always:

Locking folding knife
Multitool (even if key-chain sized)
LED light
Burts Bees chap stick

At work, my EDC is actually pretty robust based on the room available when wearing a uniform. Of course, I can carry when in combat, but not at home in garrison

Now, when not in uniform and when I'm not on a Federal Installation, I can carry a handgun:

If you bump up the EDC to include a fanny pack, shoulder bag or even a small pack you can really maximize your versatility. The challenge is that these are really "everyday" carry items and are often what I would consider "mission specific":

I typically have the "core" for every activity from backpacking to combat, but I will often adjust based on actual occupation or activity and sometimes I do get a larger EDC bag such as an HPG Kit Bag (used for backpacking) or my work EDC bag, which is a backpack.

ROCK6
Thats a nice kit you have there, very complete.
The fanny pack. I used to have one when backpacking, the idea was keeping a basic kit with me when carrying a bigger backpack. If I had to leave it behind for whatever reason, move faster, lost it, etc. at least I had the fanny pack with me. After that I integrated it as part of my EDC for some time. I'll try finding the pics to see what I had in there.
Later on I just felt a small messenger bag or musette bag was even more practical and about as much trouble to carry around. The satchel is also a great way to go. For years I used an original MKVI gas mask (the one Indiana Jones has) that thing was awesome, very practical too. Still use it from time to time.
These days its either a shoulder bag or small backpack.
ETA ah! found some, pics must be about 10 years old or so.

That phone..

and guns, man, such terrible pics

FerFAL
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FerFAL For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2017, 12:26 PM

Location: Outside the Moderate Damage Radius, over the mountain and far away.

You guys claim these are for Advanced Urban EDC, but there is a MAJOR omission in ALL kits pictured.

NO SILCOCK KEY! You fail.

http://www.backwoodsengineer.com/201...-water-in.html
The Following User Says Thank You to Outpost75 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2017, 12:30 PM

My EDC (what I actually have on my person/in my pockets) is relatively light..

Keys
Wallet with ID and CC
pocket knife (2.75" folder)
Sometimes a small flash light
Sometimes a CCW (either a 1911 or BHP)
One or two spare magazines when carrying CCW
Generally $10.00 - $20.00 cash

Everything else is in an emergency bag in the truck
Poncho
Poncho liner
1 liter water bottle
Sometimes an extra 6 pk of water
1/2 dozen energy bars
Change of clothes (t-shirt, underwear, socks)
3 1/2" folding knife
6" fixed blade knife
Flashlight
Matches
Magnesium flint
Compass
Folding e-tool
100' 550 para cord
Walking shoes
Small first aid kit

Multi-function tool - soon to be added
The Following User Says Thank You to Black Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2017, 02:45 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,061 Times in 2,258 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
You guys claim these are for Advanced Urban EDC, but there is a MAJOR omission in ALL kits pictured.

NO SILCOCK KEY! You fail.

http://www.backwoodsengineer.com/201...-water-in.html
I have one, just not as part of my EDC. It's actually a good item to have regardless of your area. Being this is aimed at "urban", my goal would be to get as far away as fast as I can...

ROCK6
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ROCK6 For This Useful Post:
Old Today, 02:15 PM
Patient Zero

Thanked 1,228 Times in 595 Posts

Due to being a subject of the peoples republic of Maryland my choices are limited in regards to what I am able to carry. I tend to carry items that are very value based due to the ability of having it taken off of me if I happen to have to leave something with security or have to deal with the police in any capacity.

On my person usually 24/7

1 2AAA Bushnell 100 lumens light . $20.00 at Wally world really tough and it's not going to break my heart if it gets confiscated.

2. Gerber Suspension . Decient Multi-Tool for the price and at 20 bucks it is great for the price. While not a great Multi-Tool it is at $20 a steal. Picked it up at Home Depot.

3. Blaze orange Bic full sized lighter. I no longer smoke but I always seem to have a lighter on me. I have used it to more then light cigarettes and having fire always a good idea.

4. S&W tactical pen. Picked one up for about $25 at the local surplus store and as a pen it is ok but the ability to use it defensively is a plus.

5. CRKT Kasper/Kershaw large folder. This knife while it is hard to sharpen in the field does hold an edge like no bodies business. At $25 at the local surplus it is a value purchase that is almost offensive in nature if it needed to be.

6. Maxpedition micro wallet. I picked mine up a few years ago for around $10 on sale they seem to be around $15 to $20 depending on where you shop. Great if you only want to carry a few things like your CHP, and other credentials .

On my key ring I carry a handcuff key and a 10 gb USB with some important information like my phone number contacts and scans of my license, security guard credentials and CCW.

My cell phone which is my first line of escape out of any problem.
Optional things I carry that might not be applicable to your situation .

I carry a Sigelei Fuchai 213W box mod with a nautilus evo tank on it for vaping. I also carry a 60ml tank of e-juice .

Outside of that there is not much more that is needed in an urban environment in normal times.
Old Today, 02:41 PM

My EDC is very light as I am urban carry.

1.) Victorinox SAK - usually an Explorer model but I do switch it up just to try others but the Explorer is my main one.
2.) Light - small Olight that I keep my house key on.
3.) Recylced Firefighter front pocket wallet - I haven't carried a back wallet in many, many years but just recently bought this one to tryout. Works great!
4.) Phone.

Now this will change if I am going somewhere specific, like if I go hiking/biking I will also put a Leatherman MT in my backpack that I take with me.
Attached Thumbnails
SakSC_Explorers2.jpg