Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Weighted 5k Fitness Challenge Art An Neart Health, Fitness and First Aid 7 02-05-2017 12:42 PM
One Pound Shop Challenge Purdy Bear British Isles and ROI 3 11-16-2016 04:11 PM
Diamond Knot/Matthew Walker Knot Challenge asemery DIY - Do It Yourself 2 10-20-2016 10:36 PM
Double Overhand Knot Challenge asemery DIY - Do It Yourself 13 10-17-2016 05:37 PM

Old 02-17-2017, 09:38 AM
Prepared

Advertise Here

OK just got off scale and weight is 274lbs.

Cutting out soft drinks and white breads.

Dusting off my exercise bike first things tomorrow.

Packing a carry bag with 50lbs of weight and start walking with wife and son tomorrow.

Reason for tomorrow I have a doctors appointment today and will be away from home all day.

Will also start with light reps as I did when I needed to get in shape in military.

So 50lbs in 13 months, lets do it.
The Following User Says Thank You to RobinD69 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2017, 10:19 AM
That'll be the day...

Thanked 1,068 Times in 340 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamfarticus View Post
Excedrin Migraine is the only thing that works for me.
That kind of unwanted crap can derail the diet plan for the day.
. Tuesday I was 237, today 233.

Excedrin Migraine is exactly what I took. Funny that only 2 of those pills are allowed per day. I think the instructions use to say, 2 every 6 hours, not to exceed three doses a day. Changes probably due to a fear of liver damage.

Yep.....can't tell you how bad I wanted something laced with pastry and sugar last night. I fought it off.

4 pounds.....giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
I need to do this as well, I am 47, 6'3", and 280lbs. My youngest son wants to workout with me and my wife needs to lose weight as well. I understand that cutting out white flour and sugar can help a lot. I also understand that eating healthier will help as well. As for exercise, I know what works as well, it is just get off my rear and doing it all.

I am with you starting today.

Cool.....looks like we are starting a bit of a movement here. A little group accountability is always good.

Old 02-17-2017, 10:30 AM
That'll be the day...

Guys, I have got to find some better snacks. I am relying and falling back on Adkins stuff, which is high in fat and calories.

My two "go-too's" are nuts and cheese.

I noticed a couple days ago that the little bag of peanuts that I eat 1-2 times a day have 300 calories per little bag (bought a whole box of these at CostCo).

What do you guys do for snacks.....especially if you get that crazy urge at 9-10pm every night?????

Old 02-17-2017, 11:32 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,538 Times in 2,471 Posts

Quote:
I need to do this as well, I am 47, 6'3", and 280lbs. My youngest son wants to workout with me and my wife needs to lose weight as well. I understand that cutting out white flour and sugar can help a lot. I also understand that eating healthier will help as well. As for exercise, I know what works as well, it is just get off my rear and doing it all.

I am with you starting today.
You can do it and better when the whole family is in on it. Everyone eats what I cook so everyone benefits from it.

I avoid anything white, sugar, salt and white flour. I have just about cut out bread completely. I had chicken cutlet on a wrap for lunch, whole wheat which is less than a single slice of bread.

I use a salt substitute called Nu Salt which is pretty good and a little goes a long way. Black pepper, all you want. I cook with a lot of hot peppers, great benefits if they don't give you baboon butt or something like that.

I got into a gym routine in 2009 and have stuck with it despite a shoulder injury, a car accident back injury and a recent heart attack. I'm lifting a lot less but have added weight to every exercise gradually as I get stronger and my incisions heal.
The Following User Says Thank You to Iamfarticus For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2017, 02:30 PM
RIP Dad

Thanked 3,784 Times in 1,425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_John View Post
Guys, I have got to find some better snacks. I am relying and falling back on Adkins stuff, which is high in fat and calories.

My two "go-too's" are nuts and cheese.

I noticed a couple days ago that the little bag of peanuts that I eat 1-2 times a day have 300 calories per little bag (bought a whole box of these at CostCo).

What do you guys do for snacks.....especially if you get that crazy urge at 9-10pm every night?????

I try to go with low glycemic index foods and try to go as light as possible on the calories. Pickles are a pretty good option. Celery, carrots and broccoli on occasion. Nowhere near as good or as satisfying as a big tub of kettle corn, but the kettle corn isn't going to keep the weight off. I've dropped 40 pounds since I had my shoulder surgery with a slightly (still have a wicked sweet tooth) improved diet and lots of excersise.
Old 02-17-2017, 03:29 PM
accipere rubrum pilula

Thanked 2,829 Times in 882 Posts

Great job Big-John, keep it up.

I'm on a lifestyle change journey myself. My doctor suggested that I change my diet, and when that became second nature to look into exercising, he said the diet phase could take a few months to catch hold.

I currently have when I wake up a 16 oz glass of water, a Premier protein shake (160 calories) and a Flintstone vitamin (doc recommended).

I pretty much don't eat white foods, or anything that comes in a plastic bag, metal can or glass jar. At least 80% of what I eat comes from the outside walls of the grocery store, I avoid the aisles as much as possible.

On Oct 1st of 2016, I weighed 232 lbs, this morning I weighed 192 lbs. So I've been able to drop 40 lbs just through diet alone.

I can't wait to see what happens when I start my exercise program in a couple weeks.
The Following User Says Thank You to papabob56 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2017, 03:32 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,294 Times in 1,243 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by papabob56 View Post
Great job Big-John, keep it up.

I'm on a lifestyle change journey myself. My doctor suggested that I change my diet, and when that became second nature to look into exercising, he said the diet phase could take a few months to catch hold.

I currently have when I wake up a 16 oz glass of water, a Premier protein shake (160 calories) and a Flintstone vitamin (doc recommended).

I pretty much don't eat white foods, or anything that comes in a plastic bag, metal can or glass jar. At least 80% of what I eat comes from the outside walls of the grocery store, I avoid the aisles as much as possible.

On Oct 1st of 2016, I weighed 232 lbs, this morning I weighed 192 lbs. So I've been able to drop 40 lbs just through diet alone.

I can't wait to see what happens when I start my exercise program in a couple weeks.
Very nice, congrats, 40 pounds is quite an accomplishment, and you're just getting started!
The Following User Says Thank You to jojo64155 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2017, 03:34 PM
Hunter

Quote:

Myself I do everything I can to NOT eat after 7:30 or so, but when I get the urge I drink a glass of unsweetened tea, eat a hard boiled egg, or a small piece of lean meat if there's any in the fridge.
The Following User Says Thank You to jojo64155 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2017, 04:56 PM
accipere rubrum pilula

Quote:

I'm like jojo64155 I try not to eat past 8pm.

Usually, my supper consists of a good dose of protein and vegetables. The protein is usually a chicken breast, fish or a lean beef burger. I'll have a 1/2 cup serving of beans, and two 1/2 cup servings of a cooked green vegetable. The fiber of the beans helps keep me filled up and a dessert helps keep me satisfied till morning

I'll have either a 1/3 cup of sherbet, a piece of fruit or 1/3 cup of plain fat-free yogurt with a 1/4 cup of frozen fruit.

If for some reason I feel a touch of hunger after that, I'll drink a big glass of water and it goes away.
The Following User Says Thank You to papabob56 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2017, 11:16 PM
That'll be the day...

I am still having a heck of a time with hunger during the night and sleep. I try to pound the water, but that just causes me to wake up 2-3 times a night to take a leak and then I have hunger pains and it is hard to go back to sleep.

Mind you, I am eating good, big dinners about 5-5:30pm. Usually a good chuck of meat, some sort of colorful, high fiber veggie (as much as I want) and then a starch....Quinoa, Whole Grain Barley, Sweet Potatoes, etc.

Then by 8pm I am hungry again. Not a craving or sweet tooth....I am legitimately hungry and could eat another meal. So far, I have bit my bottom lip and headed to bed. Maybe some pickles or peanuts.

Maybe I am still in this stage of my body adjusting. Hopefully it will line out.

By the way, I am going to try some edamame.
Old 02-18-2017, 12:59 AM
accipere rubrum pilula

Hey Big-John, how is your fiber intake?

My doctor was the one who suggested for me to have a 1/2 cup of beans with my evening meal. It's usually white beans, pinto beans, red beans or black beans.

I season them with onions, garlic, jalapeño or whatever strikes my tastebuds. I had to adjust to eating beans everyday, but they really help hold hunger at bay and keep me full for a long time.

Anyway, my doctor stated that eating a serving of something like beans in the evening, can help you stay feeling full for a long time. A 1/2 cup of beans on average will supply around 25% of the fiber you need.

The bonus is thatt they only provide like 60 calories, so they're easy on the calorie counts. Luckily the "musical" side effects don't last more than a week, as your body adjusts to the new diet.
Old 02-18-2017, 07:31 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,538 Times in 2,471 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by papabob56 View Post
Hey Big-John, how is your fiber intake?

My doctor was the one who suggested for me to have a 1/2 cup of beans with my evening meal. It's usually white beans, pinto beans, red beans or black beans.

I season them with onions, garlic, jalapeño or whatever strikes my tastebuds. I had to adjust to eating beans everyday, but they really help hold hunger at bay and keep me full for a long time.

Anyway, my doctor stated that eating a serving of something like beans in the evening, can help you stay feeling full for a long time. A 1/2 cup of beans on average will supply around 25% of the fiber you need.

The bonus is thatt they only provide like 60 calories, so they're easy on the calorie counts. Luckily the "musical" side effects don't last more than a week, as your body adjusts to the new diet.
Beans are great to hold the hunger at bay. I'm not a snacker at all. I do the meal thing at night and that's it. I just ran into Goya low sodium beans at one store, canned but still fits what I'm doing. Or regular canned beans with a rinse will work. Onion, peppers, hot peppers... even better, cilantro, garlic are all freebies.

They have good fiber and of course protein, both are filling. I like the red, black and pink beans. My late wife was Spanish and I picked up on the cooking and have her mom's recipes. Make up 2 cans worth and it feeds a lot of people or lasts a few days. I have it with Goya brown rice.
The Following User Says Thank You to Iamfarticus For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2017, 07:59 AM
That'll be the day...

I am trying to eat pretty balanced at lunch and dinner: Lean Protein, colorful veggie and a high fiber/low glycemic carb. I have not eaten beans yet, but will start too.

I slept pretty good last night, but at 9pm I ate some pickled Okra and some smoked oysters. In total, that snack only had 5gr of carb and less than 100 calories.

Tried a new snack yesterday at 3pm. 1 can of V8 Spicy, mixed with a can of Dasani Lime Sparkling Water. It is only 70 calories, but very refreshing and curbed my desire for a glass of wine.

Didn't hit my Saturday morning goal of 269.9, but dealt with that Migraine. Little bummed.....as you can see that my weight hasn't moved much in the last few days.

Feb. 15: 271.4lbs
Feb. 16: 271.4lbs (Migraine started at 9am, stayed in bed all day)
Feb. 17: 272.0lbs (I think this increase is water retention from previous day)
Feb. 18: 271.4lbs

Oh well.....stay the course.
Old 02-18-2017, 10:01 AM
Prepared

Ok actually starting my first full day of the challenge by myself right now, wife shopping, son at a sleepover.

Stay away from soft drinks and white bread for a start.

Starting off at 274lbs.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RobinD69 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2017, 10:34 AM
Hunter

Quote:
Maybe I am still in this stage of my body adjusting. Hopefully it will line out.
That's it exactly, your stomach is still in the process of shrinking, it will take some time and you WILL be hungry, fill it with water, or make yourself busy, get you mind off it. It takes time, hang in there.
Old 02-18-2017, 05:36 PM
That'll be the day...

Googled low calorie snacks last night and they talked about Kale Chips.

Was in wallyworld this morning and they had big, beautiful bundles of Kale for 98 cents. I bought two. Once prepared, one bundle covered up a big cookie sheet.

Wash
Pull off the stems
Tear into chip sized pieces
Lightly spray with cooking oil (we used spray Olive Oil)
Sprinkle with salt or other seasonings
Bake in oven at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes

They aren't potato chips, but they are darn good and they grow on you. They even crunch like fine, Lays Potato Chips.

We even dipped them in Tostitos Cheese Dip and Salsa, as a test and they were darn good.
Old 02-19-2017, 11:10 AM
That'll be the day...

MY body feels like it turned a corner this morning.

Yesterday's diet was the same as days before. Was a little hungry last night, but only woke up once to go to the bathroom. Lot more energy for the workout this morning....even pushed the last 3 minutes of my cardio over 160 bpm.

And.... dropped to 270.8

I just want to encourage you all....stay with it. Make yourself go at least three weeks to turn the corner.

Here is something else.... I have always heard that Muscle was much denser than Fat, that volume for volume, Muscle weighed a lot more. Not true...... This really surprised me.

Since it is denser, muscle does weigh more than fat if you compare same-size portions. On average, the density of fat is 0.9 g/mL. The density of muscle is 1.1 g/mL. Using the averages, 1 liter of muscle weighs 1.06 kg, or 2.3 lbs., while 1 liter of fat weighs .9 kg, or 1.98 lbs. This may vary due to numerous factors including race, being extremely lean, or being extremely obese, according to “Exercise Physiology” by William D. McArdle, et al.

The Following User Says Thank You to Big_John For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2017, 02:44 PM
Survivor

Thanked 10,968 Times in 4,239 Posts

Quote:
Here is something else.... I have always heard that Muscle was much denser than Fat, that volume for volume, Muscle weighed a lot more. Not true...... This really surprised me.

Since it is denser, muscle does weigh more than fat if you compare same-size portions. On average, the density of fat is 0.9 g/mL. The density of muscle is 1.1 g/mL. Using the averages, 1 liter of muscle weighs 1.06 kg, or 2.3 lbs., while 1 liter of fat weighs .9 kg, or 1.98 lbs. This may vary due to numerous factors including race, being extremely lean, or being extremely obese, according to “Exercise Physiology” by William D. McArdle, et al.

It's a bigger difference than you're thinking when applied to a human body. Let's take a 200 pound person and assume about 20% of body weight is neither fat nor muscle, that leaves 160 pounds for the fat to muscle variability. At 40% body fat, this person has 80 pounds of fat = 40.4 liters of volume, plus 80 pounds of muscle for another 34.8 liters. Total fat+muscle volume being 75.2 liters.

Now, let's change this person's body fat to 15%. That gives us 30 pounds of fat for 15.15 liters of volume plus 130 pounds of muscle for another 56.5 liters. Total fat+muscle volume is 71.65. The difference of 3.55 liters has the fat guy taking up about 5% more space than the muscular guy. Or take 1 and 2/3 two-liter soda bottles and visually compare that to a human body. The density difference between fat and muscle may not be that huge numerically, but the visible effect on a human body is quite significant. Of course it's more noticeable on shorter people than tall people.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lord Darwath For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2017, 05:33 PM
Prepared

Well on my second day, pretty much starved all day, got busy working in the yard, but I did drink something and I cheated a little with my dinner, I had pizza. But all in all I lost 2lbs.

Scaled at 272.
Old 02-19-2017, 06:50 PM
That'll be the day...

Quote:
Well on my second day, pretty much starved all day, got busy working in the yard, but I did drink something and I cheated a little with my dinner, I had pizza. But all in all I lost 2lbs.

Scaled at 272.
Silly little snacks like pickles (zero calories) .....help me so much. You just got to watch the salt intake.