Where to actually keep emergency savings/cash? bank? Mattress? - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Financial Forum Economics and Precious Metals

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Survival Acronyms kev New Member Introduction 1001 02-08-2017 03:50 PM
ARES / RACES or both? k0diak314 Communications 5 02-07-2017 07:37 PM
Home built cogeneration system - Battery bank charger / Hot water? Mr4btTahoe DIY - Do It Yourself 18 02-07-2017 08:54 AM
amateur radio communication for hobby or emergency Mrterryman Pennsylvania 6 01-24-2017 08:49 AM
A couple of questions about the battery bank I've built... hlsjunk DIY - Do It Yourself 32 01-07-2017 10:58 PM

Old 02-10-2017, 04:06 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,072 Times in 664 Posts
Smile

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOpie View Post
i have to hide cash or my wife will spend it.
LOL, "Lord" Opie....
Old 02-10-2017, 07:40 PM
Libertarian

I only hide whiskey and rum from my better half.
The Following User Says Thank You to RoyWalker For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2017, 04:50 PM
Bushidoka

Thanked 5,112 Times in 1,734 Posts
Default Wow, Are There Really So Few of Us Who Refuse to Bet Our Life Savings...

...on digital currency in the banking system, the ATM network in particular, all backed by the credit markets and FDIC?
[quote=survivedall;13493025]True, but then again banks do not need to close.

Sorry, I guess this rant about digital cash was OT...OP just asks how we break down our cash allocation and where we keep it. Which is actually a darned good question.

But it is interesting to see the extreme variability in how this group of exceptionally risk-conscious people evaluates the relative risks of holding cash in electronic vs. paper form, n'est-ce pas?
The Following User Says Thank You to ambos lados For This Useful Post:

Old 02-11-2017, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mygunisjammed View Post
I always read that one of the first things to do financially is have at least six months of earnings put away in a safe place, not in stocks. But where do you keep it? If its all in the bank and the banks close, then what? do you put half in the bank and half in a shoe at home and a few dollars in your car? what is your ideal breakdown of where all to put it?
- PMs in a floor safe along with a some greenbacks. The greenbacks are my in-case-the-power-goes-out-for-a-few-days funds. This is also my fund for buying more cheap PMs and firearms off of craigslist.

- Some in savings account, some in a checking account. This is also my fund to buy cheap real estate or below market PMs from online auctions.

- Some in a brokerage account invested in a revolving series of short term (<90 days to expiration) tax-free municipal bonds. Even with commissions, these pay about twice the best short-term CD rates, and it's tax free.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jbrent95 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2017, 12:35 PM
Libertarian

Doug Casey says cashless society is coming. Stock $5s $10s and $20s whereas 50s and 100s will be outlawed first. Happened in Australia and India first, we can't be far behind.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RoyWalker For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2017, 01:13 PM
Bushidoka

Thanked 5,112 Times in 1,734 Posts
Default Good Point About Higher Denominations...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyWalker View Post
Doug Casey says cashless society is coming. Stock $5s $10s and $20s whereas 50s and 100s will be outlawed first. Happened in Australia and India first, we can't be far behind.
Good reason to inventory all those hidey holes...the downside of being spread across 3 countries.
Old 02-14-2017, 07:41 PM
Libertarian

Bet he's got a load of whatever currency they have down in Argentina. . . or more like the yellow stuff and beef cattle.
Old 02-15-2017, 03:24 PM

I don't know if anyone thought of Safe Deposit Boxes, but that's what I use. Banks don't like customers storing cash in them because they aren't FDIC insured, so if the bank burnt down, your out that cash, but I still do it.

Safe deposit boxes are also IMHO an excellent place to store hand guns. The banks typically don't inventory what is put in the box so you really can put whatever you want.

Cashier's checks are a good way to hide money. You pay a few bucks for them and they are good for a few years. If you need money, you can take one cashiers check that you addressed to yourself and use it to buy another smaller denominated one and keep the remainder. If someone steals them, you just go to the bank and let them know. You should be able to get your money back.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:26 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,641 Times in 1,196 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOpie View Post
i have to pull what little money we have in the bank and hide cash or my wife will spend it.

I'd like to hide a little somewhere other than various hiding spots in the gun safe as she's find those nooks.

Are those fire proof bags any good? I hear they're all fiberglass splinters?
My wife#1 needed a much richer guy than me. For that reason and others, I moved on.

Wife#2 ... yep, a spendthrift! I moved on.

Wife#3 is a country girl with simple tastes. Not only is she modest in her spending, but she does not complain if I say we need to throttle it down.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:30 PM

Have $1,000 in a savings account or mm. Purpose is to be used in emergencies, e.g. Car repair, so you can avoid going into debt. As for cash, I keep 100 in my wallet, a couple hundred in the petty cash envelope and 100 in my truck.

I should get more out for the safe. But depends on your forecast for the future. What are the likely threats? Would you have to evacuate, I live near a dam. Do you thing the grid will fail? A run on the banks?
Old 02-19-2017, 11:42 PM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDedo View Post
What you want is a liquidity waterfall: small amounts of cash that are easy to access, and progressively larger amounts of cash that are increasingly safer but harder to access.

This is just an arbitrary example, assuming a person with $2,000/month of living expenses:

$200 cash in your pocket at all times. Easy to access, combined with a credit card it will get you out of most jams. Be sure to replenish this regularly, as pocket cash has a way of disappearing at vending machines, sandwich shops, bars, etc.

$2,000 cash in your home in a fire resistant lock box or safe. It's reasonable to duplicate this and have a second $2,000 at a second location (work, family or friend's house, etc).

$12,000 in the bank, invested in a money market fund or CD waterfall (i.e. relatively easily accessible, invested against inflation).

$240,000 in a long term investment vehicle (susceptible to market timing, so you don't want to have to rely on it tomorrow, but will grow over time).

I would warn against "stashing" money in too many places. Caches buried in the yard are easily forgotten and are vulnerable to loss.

Also, don't let yourself be swayed by the tinfoil hat crowd - you shouldn't be afraid of banks. They're well insured, and they protect you from the most overlooked form of loss: inflation. Stick $10,000 in a coffee can and bury it in the back yard, and 10 years from now that's going to be worth a whole lot less than $10k.
Yeah lets see here........FDIC is broke, so I wouldn't bet my survival on a government plan that is subject to shtf. And anything in any finacial institution will not be there and available when a banking holiday is declared.

Ask the Greeks and those in South America what happens when a bank goes under? Money in deposits ends up being the banks money so they can pay their fiduciary responsibilities off.

Yeah it's tinfoil hat type thinking that your money is safe in a bank. I think it is tin foil hattery to believe banks are safe.

At the very least, at least use a credit union instead of a bank. They don't rely on FDIC and are self insured, NOT GUBBERMINT insured.

IMHO, keep as much cash as possible literally anywhere but in a bank.

Last edited by PrepperCon; 02-19-2017 at 11:43 PM.. Reason: correction
Old 02-21-2017, 04:03 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,928 Times in 1,391 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrepperCon View Post
FDIC is broke, so I wouldn't bet my survival on a government plan that is subject to shtf.
What SHTF event is it that you are thinking where the FDIC won't honor their commitments?

Quote:
Ask the Greeks and those in South America what happens when a bank goes under?
1000's of banks went under in 2009ish, right here, in the USA, and I have not heard a single story of those who were not made whole under FDIC regulations. They even made exceptions to include money market accounts and in many instances increased the allowed insured limits.

Quote:
I think it is tin foil hattery to believe banks are safe.
Everything has risks. There are a risks associated with getting out of bed in the morning, and there is a risk associated with not getting out of bed.

There is a risk of burring cash that will decompose, get lost, or get "found". There's a risk that overnight something will happen and stores will stop taking my credit/debit card and only accept cash. (happened to me in NY with the blackout in about 2003).

That being said, if a situation arises where the $100 in my wallet, and my credit/debit card are not enough to get me through the situation, then I will need to rely on my gun. If that is not enough, it doesn't matter were you hide your money.
Old 02-21-2017, 04:06 PM
LEGAL citizen

Thanked 19,161 Times in 6,317 Posts

A good, secure safe... and a "few hundred bucks" is not enough. If we go into hyperinflation, that is nothing. Honestly, you need to have access to $10,000 dollars if possible.
The Following User Says Thank You to America's Patriot For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2017, 06:51 AM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambos lados View Post
Seriously? Even as an "arbitrary example," only $2200, less than 1% of your "waterfall" in hard (i.e. non-digital) cash? How long/how far will that take you even just when the power is down, let alone when any of several different types of contingencies disrupts the ATM/credit card/banking system locally or nationally?

I've seen the way people--individuals and business people--panic, just seem to lose their minds, even in the first few hours of a simple snowstorm, internet or phone line failure, anything that disrupts the flow of electronic payments. At first you may have to show somebody how they can even write up their sales on a notepad, in semi-duplicate, take your money and tear off a receipt to give you. But with cash you can at least go to the front of the line, make deep discount deals, pay contractors to do your stuff first, and get out of the store. Must one have a tinfoil hat to suppose this is not the worst that could happen?

I actually like your liquidity waterfall concept, but I definitely like my waterfalls a lot wetter and faster flowing up front!
What do you need for $2200 when the power goes out? you can make all your monthly transactions on line in 30 minutes as long as there is power somewhere. If SHTF I can't think of anything one would need to buy on the spot with cash unless you aren't prepared. Cash is for convenience during every day life IMHO.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:26 AM
Survivor

Thanked 32,561 Times in 11,065 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by preperguy View Post
What do you need for $2200 when the power goes out? you can make all your monthly transactions on line in 30 minutes as long as there is power somewhere. If SHTF I can't think of anything one would need to buy on the spot with cash unless you aren't prepared. Cash is for convenience during every day life IMHO.
Post Katrina:

Some banks went under (LITERALLY under water at every branch)

For months afterwards bills, morgtages, living expenses etc had to be paid.... when they did not have access to their checking or savings accounts. (Morgtages either being sold off or at a different bank... THEY lasted, just not "your $10k in savings Mr. Smith")

Yes there was quite a bit of government assistance, but people still lost their homes (some flooded, some not) etc over it.
(Many jobs were under water as well.)

Just one example off the top of my head.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2017, 05:16 PM
Libertarian

But they didn't tell us all that on CNN!!
Old 02-24-2017, 05:51 PM
Republic of Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by preperguy View Post
$2200 in cash wouldn't even touch my personal monthly expenses, let alone my business expenses. My household expenses, brought down to the VERY basic with zero extras are $3700/mo due to the fact that we live in an Austin suburb. Add another $4500/mo of business expenses on top of that (tech based, still has to be run even if my own power is out) and that $2200 you say isn't needed is gone in under 10 minutes and 2 bills paid.
Old 02-24-2017, 06:34 PM
Libertarian

Houston, I think we have a problem.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:14 PM
angel waiting

Thanked 6,117 Times in 2,313 Posts

We have money in two separate accounts plus we have cash hidden in our home and we have cash outside in another area. Helps to have multiple layers of backup plans.
Old 02-24-2017, 10:24 PM

Location: Outside the Moderate Damage Radius, over the mountain and far away.

Hiding Places To ALWAYS Be Checked In Searches

(Cops and Career Criminals Know ALL of These, But YOU Might Not!)

1. Empty cereal box in pantry. Hope hoping burglars aren’t hungry! Kaboom cereal in Kill Bill
2. Hanging upside down from hook under bathroom cabinet, just above door.
3. Inside a closet (not a walk-in) up over the door. Most closets “shallow” and while a Burglar might go thru your clothes and items on shelving, most don’t look straight-up over the head.
4. Behind decorative blanket hung as cheap tapestry
5. Non-locking hideaway picture frame.
6. False bottom in bedside drawer.
7. Fake electrical outlets.
8. Split upholstery seam in the rear car passenger’s seat side toward driver—insert small holster and appropriate handgun, sew Velcro on seams to reseal.
9. Besides storm door, main entry door is steel with small window at the top. Velcro nylon holster with snubby to inside of the door, just above the doorknob, canted toward toward you about 45 degrees, when opening the door to someone, they never know your hand is just inches from your weapon. Should inviting them in, close the storm door and leave the main door open, which puts the gun back against a wall so it is not seen by a “guest.”
10. Dummy desk scanner with no guts. Lift up to remove handgun.
11. When away from your home stash handgun in dirty clothes hamper or laundry bag.
12. On the road, stuff dirty clothes bag under seat with opening accessible!
13. When replacing sagging cloth liner under living room couch get out the Dremel and hack saw out make a horizontal system of hooks with belt fasteners from milsurp canvas belts to hold four rifles or shotguns lengthwise. Make a small wooden cubby-hole attach with screws to framework near the arm rest. That’s where “barbeque revolvers” go. Not a practical place to store your “go-to” weapons, but discreet place to store your valuable rifles. I attached Velcro along the cloth and underside of the couch so all you have to do is flip the couch back, undo the Velcro and you have full access to hidden weapons. It’s funny to have guests sitting on the couch, clueless that they are sitting on a shotgun, two M4s and two Glocks!
14. The Sportsman guide has a wall clock that opens up to store a small handgun in. Runs about $55 after shipping. And the clock works!
15. When I lived in Chicago I kept a short, folding-stock 12ga situated diagonally in a clean extra-extra large pizza box lodged between my trashcan and my kitchen cabinets. It looked like it was just trash waiting for trash-day…
16. In the closet, on a CHEAP plastic hanger (easily broken), (through the trigger guard, no round in chamber), covered with a button up shirt.
17. Under the towels in the master bath.
18. Women’s concealment holster for LCR or LCP that goes between her uh...mammary glands……
19. In an inside jacket pocket on a jacket on a hook in the closet.
20. Under the skirt of a spare toilet paper girl in master bath where no guests go.
21. Cocked and locked 1911 in paper grocery bags folded next to the frig. Put it in a bag and folded up.
22. Between the window curtains and the wall above the windows. Can’t be seen from the outside and if your curtains are heavy, can’t be seen from the inside. Yet the gun can remain on a hook just waiting to be used.
23. 12 gauge in soft gun case hanging from hook, centered on the back of my bedroom door. I would then throw/tuck/hang a flannel robe over it. Kept door open, no one ever noticed the added “heft” of the door.
24. Inside a trophy. Lift up brass plate it’s hollow inside. If it’s big enough, anyway.
25. S&W Mod 60 in Ziploc bag under frozen veggies in my freezer. Can shoot thru the bag…if ya need to…
26. Mesa hotel safe off ebay uses credit card swipe to open electronically. Use outdated credit card for it. I have the card hidden nearby, in a place that I don’t think anyone could accidentally find. Yet, it’s so close, that I’m positive that I can grab the card and swipe it faster than I could punch in a combo, even on a finger touch safe. It was less than $100 as well. You could carry a backup identical card in your wallet. Fingerprint and keypad numeric lock versions available too.
27. Old shoebox under the bed at night. Gun safe when I leave the house during the daytime.
28. Nightstand or dresser has room between drawers and outer paneling, thickness of the frame of the cabinet. Remove bottom drawer, drill a hole in front of the rear frame and inserted a wooden peg so that the gun is along the side of the cabinet. The peg is on an angle so that when the barrel is fully seated it creates a slight interference with the bottom of the opening. Ruger SP101 fits perfectly onto the peg and is held tightly. The drawer can be pulled out and dumped, the whole nightstand could be dumped forward and the gun stays tightly in place. I know it is there and because I shoot it almost every weekend and can grab it without looking, however a bad guy would have to get down on all fours and shine a flashlight into the open to see it.
29. Behind a vent or cold air return? Before I got a safe, I would put a cased pistol in the vent work. I placed it out of sight, so if they pulled off the vent cover, they couldn’t see it. The cold air return was next to the bed, so it was easy to get to in the night.
30. Dancers carry dance bags for shoes. Side pocket exclusively reserved for a loaded Glock inside Fobus belt holster to obviates any danger of finger in trigger guard while withdrawing the handgun.
31. Use small CD wallet to keep LCP 380 and extra mag in. Handy place to slip pistol and holster into when I have to take it out of my pocket for a little while or while I’m driving…stick it right between the seat and console so it’s more accessible than being in my pocket.
32. I bought a/c grills at my old house and made boxes 4″ deep to fit in the stud walls, and placed them up towards the ceiling line like the old wall registers. High enough the boys couldn’t reach them but low enough my wife could. The grill stayed on with a rubber band. Was there 11 years, no one ever knew.
33. Electrical box? I keep spare set of keys in a dummy electrical disconnect box outside my house.
34. A/C vents/ducts/intakes. Usually A/C vents are mounted high and require a stool or ladder to get access. Unscrew panel, tuck in gun, replace panel.
35. While most firearms are in my safe, I have the usual few scattered out and hidden in strategic locations similar to those already mentioned. To confuse would be thief, I leave several “bait” desirable nonfunctioning / unloaded firearms in plain sight. Upon arriving home, look if any of these are moved or missing, If any “indicator guns” where disturbed/missing upon arrival, I’d back out and call the Sheriff.
36. Hollowed out water heater complete with pipes that disappear into the wall. The door is hidden on the back side.
37. I keep a 1911 in an old boot that is with a bunch of other shoes on the floor of my closet.
38. I collect beer steins, and have a Beretta Tomcat in my favorite one.
39. In a special place buried outside, just in case I come back to the house unarmed and have to defend it.
40. When we had tiling installed, I specifically created a false tile. Get on the floor? Sure, can you turn around for a second?
41. Pull the carpet back, grab a hammer & chisel and get to work!
Do you have a favorite place to stash your firearms? Add it to the comments in numbered order and we’ll continually update this!
Keltec in back of my silverware drawer in the kitchen, and a another in an otterbox in my toilet tank.

On #33 be cautious as a smart criminal might try to disconnect your power before breaking into the home. I like the idea though, so you might switch it out for a bird house instead. Recommend that you use a waterproof map bag. You can add rice to absorb any moisture. That’s my #41.
Here is my #42 – I have a “Cups ‘N Cargo Stroller Organizer” that attaches to the stroller’s handle bars. It has a small zippered pouch where I can carry a holstered ccw for when I walk at the park with my 9 month old GrandKid. I wouldn’t recommend this for older kids but it keeps it close, safe and handy for evening strolls.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Outpost75 For This Useful Post: