Survivalist Forum banner

Staph Germs at West Coast beaches

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  wanderer714 
#1 ·
A pretty interesting article I read this morning ....

Source

Dangerous staph germs found at West Coast beaches

By MARILYNN MARCHIONE, AP Medical Writer Marilynn Marchione, Ap Medical Writer – Sat Sep 12, 3:02 pm ET

Dangerous staph bacteria have been found in sand and water for the first time at five public beaches along the coast of Washington, and scientists think the state is not the only one with this problem.

The germ is MRSA, or methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus — a hard-to-treat bug once rarely seen outside of hospitals but that increasingly is spreading in ordinary community settings such as schools, locker rooms and gyms.

"We don't know the risk" for any individual going to a beach, she said. "But the fact that we found these organisms suggests that the level is much higher than we had thought."

"Make sure you get all the sand off," and cover any open cuts or scrapes before playing in the sand, Roberts added. Digging in the sand or being buried in it seems to raise the risk of infection, she said.

Ya, like Im takin the kids to the beach now!

See less See more
#3 ·
I go to the beach all the time. Multiple times during a week and, I also partake in martial arts and have been for years and not once have I gotten an MRSA staph infection note that I live on the west coast. Shower afterwards and your chances of contracting it are quite slim.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.