Survivalist Forum banner
39K views 46 replies 31 participants last post by  BlackhawkFan 
#1 ·
I've been looking at my battery as I'm just getting into the whole preparedness thing. I love my marlin, I can fit my reloading kit for it in a back pack (lee loader) and I have a nice collection of brass and other components for this caliber. Buying another rifle is not really an option for me in the not so distant future.

My question is, is this a good rifle to have in a shtf situation? For the record I do have a couple 12 gauges and a 9mm Tokarev in my battery as well.

#2 ·
Its a great rifle and I sure wouldnt want to be shot with it.

You probably know how to shoot it well, thats all that matters.

The best rifle is the one you know how to use. You can have 50 AR 15's and 100 glocks, but if you dont know how to shoot you may as well have a stick.

The only downside to that caliber is the ammo is kind of hard to come by. If you stock plenty of components I think it would be perfect though.

#3 ·
Since buying another rifle is not an option, it is pretty much a moot point. You have to use what you have at the time you need it. My guide gun is at the top of my fav list for a sporting rifle, but no so much for social problems, where I think the SG would be better. My two biggest issues with the lever gun are the short magazine and slow loading (for me anyway). I find it much faster to stoke up a pump gun than to load the 1895 due to the spring and smallish loading gate….but I still like it!!
YMMV

#5 ·
Seeing as you have t, I reckon it'd make a great SHTF rifle.

A lever action has as fast a rate of fire as you can cycle it and the 45-70 has a LOT of punch, plus you can laod for it and with a mold, cast your own boolits.
Downside, load times but hey those rounds you've just let off should be used getting to cover anyway.

#9 ·
Thanks for all the replies. Right now its my only center fire but I just wanted to get some opinions on the functionality or a larger bore lever gun as shtf rifle and see if I should make saving up for something new a priority or not. All the posts were very helpful and I feel comfortable with my choice of rifle. Now I just have to replace my Chinese tokarev as my pistol :cool:

#10 ·
For whatever anyone owns here, there is likely something made that is better. If you know how to use it well, thats all that matters.

As you study the subject of SHTF issues, you will find out more how bad a situation bugging out really is. Bugging is is much wiser.

Firearms is the last ditch effort to your safety. Being able to stay out of hamrs way by staying secure at home in a rural area is much wiser. If things get bad, it won;t be mad max. But, more like what you see in the newspaper. People still trying to live their lives while folks get robbed, kidnapped, hustled around, and resources like food and fuel get more scarce.

A top shelf pistol with a concealed carry permit is much wiser than a high end rifle. I also think folk really do spend too much money on firearms and ammo than they should relatively. Food, water, fuel, first aid, and rural land is much more important than anything more than a basic firearm collection.

You should be fine with that firearm. Make sure your scope combination lends itself to a fast shooting firearm. IF you feel you need something quicker shooting and with more capacity, take a look at the SKS. For $200-300 you can get a 2-3" group at 100 yard rifle that shoots .25 cent a round ammo. 10 round magazine and quick to reload. The rifle was good enough for the world biggest military, it should be fine for you.

#11 ·
i think the 45-70 is WAY underpowered. i'm kidding.

I think a 45-70 lever gun is a great survival weapon. you can harvest any large game on the continent with it....including grizzly. it's a very reliable action, you have reloading capability, it's a very good defense weapon, and very rugged. you can get years of service in bad conditions with minimal maintenance. if need be the weapon can easily be used safely, and fairly quickly as a single shot.

i would recommend a second magazine tube spring and follower....very inexpensive, but very necessary.

#13 ·
Yup, it'll work. Not much need for a second shot either, if a fella does the first one right. Two of my rifles are levers. An 1894SS Marlin in .357Mag. and a Browning BLR .308. Depending on my situ at the time, either may become my primary shtf weapon.

I've got some compact Lee reload gear for that Marlin, and it's S&W friends too. I never thought of black powder, but I suspect in a pinch it would work in a .357 as the .38 was originally a black powder cartridge. I always learn some good info here.

#20 ·
Well, one thing is for sure...you're never going to lose anything on the power within a close distance shootout. My one question would be what kind of range you're shooting at, as far as terrain goes.

In the eastern woodlands, like where I live, a 150 yard shot is a rarity..most of them are closer to 50-60 for 'long' shots. In that case, the 45-70 is ideal. With the capacity to reload at hand and the ability to use black powder in a pinch, your only hitch would be getting primers in a long term SHTF. The only advice I would give would be to look at your long-range shooting ballistics, and study them. Beyond about 200 yards the 45-70 is more like artillery than a rifle, though because of the heavy bullet it still packs one mean punch when it gets there.

Also...be sure to practice on trees, study the effects there. I think you'll discover a lot of things you thought were 'cover' actually work more along the lines of 'concealment' instead. This could be a nasty shock for anyone thinking the same thing when you go to line up a shot!

#21 ·
Thanks for all the great replies, there's a lot of great info in here. I live in Ontario and hunting is usually within 60 yards and more often then not within 35 yards. I train to shoot offhand at a 30 yard and 60 yard range but work out handloads off a bench at 100 yards. I figure all the hunting or defensive shooting I may do in my lifetime will be within these ranges.

I did put a set of skinner ghost rings on my marlin, awesome sights especially for the price. I also sanded down my front post to get more elevation should the need arise to shoot out too 200 yards.

I never really consider getting a few replacement parts, its a great idea.

#22 ·
Big45-70, I should hold onto that Tokarev were I you. You already have a large heavy caliber rifle; why would you want to get the same in a pistol? The Tokarev round can be reloaded with a 110 soft point bullet that one can hunt with or use in a self defence situation. Moreover it is a flat shooting round even from a four inch barrel. the Tokarev pistol itself is small and extremely flat with the grip panels removed. So for $179 you already have a pistol that compliments your 45-70.
Incidentally I too have a 45-70; a guide gun. Marstar has a lot of ammunition coming soon so just be patient. You have two exceptional weapons already. There is no need to change what is already good.

#24 ·
The .45-70 is an excellent choice especially where the ranges are short.

There was an article in Handloader's Digest some 25+ years back about the .444 Marlin for this and the data transfers over quite easily, with just a little work.

I've had my 1895 for years just for this purpose. By the way, 2.5" .410 shotshells will feed through the action and fire, they're useless for reloading afterwards but they will work for close range critters (snakes, rabbits, etc).

#25 ·
Love my44 mag lever, revolver combo One bullet For out in the woods, great!

And it does not attract too much attention, should rifles on the street be common soon.
Not like the silouette of an AK or AR Just granpas hunting rifle 10 shots 44 mag and LOAD as you shoot TOP IT OFF Never runs out of ammo!!!!! Reloading is easy.

45/70 revolver??? Shoot long colt or 45 acp adapter unless you need the 45/70's power.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.