Review on AMP-3 "Mastering Your Med Kit" and "Survival Suturing" DVD - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
So...about that "accuracy", "reliability", and "stopping power" thing. Heckler&Coke Military Weapons Forum 127 10-08-2016 11:52 AM
Which show is worse "Dual Survivor" or "Discovery Channel saved my life"? Cool Hand Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 114 07-11-2016 10:31 AM
World Goes on "High Alert" After Arizona Quake Confirms "Worst Fears" (S. Faal) ACME_MAN Controversial News and Alternative Politics 51 02-18-2016 06:59 PM
Uses for "scrap" wood from work - 48"Lx 2.5" x 3.5" (oak, poplar,pine, etc) tankman1989 DIY - Do It Yourself 42 09-05-2015 06:33 AM
Pelican™ Double-rifle Case 50.5"x13.5"x5" - $149.99 after code "SN365" + S/H slickguns.com For Sale 0 04-11-2015 07:41 PM
Obama "strongly" supports renewal of the assault weapons ban "Official Thread" Jubbles Political News and Discussion 30 03-01-2014 04:17 PM
Obama's Plan to Shatter "Permanent War Economy" Panics Global "Elites" (Sorcha Faal) ACME_MAN Controversial News and Alternative Politics 5 07-24-2012 10:19 PM
There's no such thing as "survival" or "preparedness" Pat Tellier Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 53 04-28-2012 11:25 AM
"Survival Seed Bank" arrived today----REVIEW OF CONTENTS sinistersixguns Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 47 12-30-2010 09:01 PM
Double Review: Maglight "SOLITARE" and "Value Tools" Folding Knife Duncan Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 2 05-22-2007 10:02 AM

Old 09-08-2014, 04:28 PM

Default Review on AMP-3 "Mastering Your Med Kit" and "Survival Suturing" DVD

Advertise Here

I purchased a two DVD set from http://theprepperproject.com that included the following

- “Mastering Your Med Kit” video
- "Survival Suturing" video
- Sam splint
- Israel bandage

So far I have only watched "Mastering Your Med Kit" and is a review on it. The DVDs can also be purchased from amp-3.net which is a site that sells medical kits and various medical products for the prepared citizen. But I would say for the two DVDs getting it from the prepperproject.com was much better as I only paid roughly $50 verse the $35 per video from the amp-3 site. I opted not to get the surgical kit which kicks the price up to $100.

This DVD's product desction on the amp-3 site is as follows.

"Featuring Dr. David Pruett (USNERDOC/KF7ETX)

We want every person to know how to build and use all of the items in a Comprensive First Aid Kit like the Amp-3 Outfitter. This DVD will show you exactly how to manage and use all of the items in that kit and our packs are packed by hand, with as many USA made products as possible."

For the most part this description seemed like it could be worth while information but I was wrong. The majority of the video wasn't how to make your own kit but was just a review of a kit that can be purchased from amp-3, http://stores.amp-3.net/amp-3-outfit...ld-separately/. There were a few demonstrations of some of the items which were how to apply the Israel Bandage to yourself or another person, a splint, tourniquet, and slings all on your arm. In terms of these demonstrations you can go to youtube and find multiple videos for each one that covers more detailed situations and how to use the item. When it was over I felt like I paid money for an infomercial and the real information was omitted.

In all, if you have first aid training this video isn't for you. If you are new to first aid and medical kits then it would be a good start but you'll have to get more training. After I watch the suturing DVD I will provide a review for it.

If you happen to have seen this video please let me know what you think.
The Following User Says Thank You to ensin360 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2014, 12:15 AM

Post Review on AMP-3 "Survival Suturing" DVD

I must say this video was much better; however, it's also something I've never done before so everything was new. The topics of the video are roughly

- basic skin anatomy
- general closure practices
- irrigation
- steri strips & butterflys
- items required to suture
- how to tie suture knot
- how to suture
- how to staple
- removal of sutures and staples

I did feel that the information was good but would have liked to see more closeups of what was going on. Once again a few searches on youtube or your favorite search engine and you'll be able to find this information for free.

Overall I wouldn't recommend these videos for anybody and would suggest you spend money on a first aid class where you'll get hands on experience and feedback from an instructor. In terms of suturing I would start with references on the web and practice at home before heading off to more advanced instruction.

Again, if you guys have any feed back let me know.
Old 11-11-2014, 10:32 PM

Not to bring up a somewhat old thread, but i just got the mastering your med kit for $2.95 for that price I did not think I could pass it up. I thought it was a decent video with demonstrations and opened me up to the SWAT tourniquet but like you said it seemed to be more of an advertisement for their product rather than how to build a medical kit and use it. I am interested in getting the suture video as well do you think it is worth the money?

Old 10-28-2016, 12:10 PM
Prepared

The problem with "Self Suturing" is the ordinary citizen does not have access to local anesthetic that allows for painless stitching. In fact, the pain of getting sewn up causes involuntary muscle movement, which could tear the suture.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:22 AM

Smile Free Survival Medicine Youtube Videos

Hi All!
Just wanted to share our channel with you that has 150 free videos on suturing, stapling, fish antibiotic use, expiration dates and more.
We do hold a few classes around the country if you want a 3 hour hands-on class, which you can check out on our website (doomandbloom.net).
Thanks! Nurse Amy :-)
Free information:

Here is our channel link: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC72...iDlQUtlmJJfsyg

Below is a link to our Suturing video on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GlkuxNdTgchttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GlkuxNdTgc
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NurseAmyDrBones For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2017, 11:35 AM
Prepared

Location: Outside the Moderate Damage Radius, over the mountain and far away.

Suturing a contaminated wound in the field is almost always a bad idea!

Irrigate, pack with sugardyne, compression bandage, frequently irrigate, repack and rebandage until you can get to a medical facility.

Dermal stapler is easier and safer for most people to use on small lacerations, but if you cannot close a wound with tincture of benzoin and buterflies, you are better off irrigating, packing and using a compression bandage.

I am not a medic or physician, but survived a chainsaw accident. While my scar is a great training aid, I lived to retire and still have all my fingers, toes and appendages.

For those who want to study a bit more on the subject, this link is what we use for our SAR teams regarding wound care in the field until we can get the victim to an extraction point reachable by air evac:

http://www.operationalmedicine.org/P...Wound_Care.htm
Old 02-17-2017, 03:28 PM

Smile

So what factors come into play when deciding to close a wound or to keep it open? (when no ER or hospital is available)
Consider keeping the wound open in these circumstances (and most survival scenario injuries):

The wound is dirty. Are the circumstances suspicious for contamination? In survival scenarios, the answer is often yes. In austere environments, even WHO (the World Health Organization) agrees that the safest course of action is to keep it open.

Here are some circumstances where wounds should be kept open:

The wound is infected. Infected wounds have a certain appearance: They are red, swollen (sometimes appearing “shiny”), warm to the touch, and may drain pus.
The wound is colonized (infected but not yet showing signs). Even the air has bacteria; you can expect a wound to be colonized within 6-8 hours or so.
There is dead tissue in the wound. This tissue won’t bleed when it is cut and often appears discolored or black. No closure should be performed without removing dead tissue first (a procedure known as “debridement”).
Puncture wounds, especially from mammalian (including human) bites have lots of bacteria and shouldn’t be closed. Interestingly, snake bites become infected less often than, say, cat or dog bites, but don’t close them either.
The wound edges are so far apart that closing them would cause undue pressure. This occurs with injuries like “avulsions”, where entire areas of tissue are missing.

The above was taken from an article on doomandbloom.net.

Other tips: Always use the least invasive method of closure if needed. Consider steri strips or butterfly bandages first. Sutures and staples make more holes in the body armor, your skin. If we are discussing wound care, clean clean clean (vigorously irrigate!!!, and even scrub the wound clean if debris is present) the wound as soon as possible to help decrease infection rates. Change dressings and packing and clean the wound twice daily until healed. Healing salves, ointments, or raw honey should help with healing.
Of course I could add a million more tips to this, but space is limited...lol.
Thanks,
Nurse Amy
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NurseAmyDrBones For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2017, 10:10 AM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norse Lord View Post
The problem with "Self Suturing" is the ordinary citizen does not have access to local anesthetic that allows for painless stitching. In fact, the pain of getting sewn up causes involuntary muscle movement, which could tear the suture.
I once had a horrible accident with a fillet knife on a hike in fishing trip. Long story short it ended up sticking me in the upper arm, shoulder area. I was hemorrhaging blood badly. Unfortunately back then I did not have a first aid kit with clot aid. But I did have a cooler full of ice.

We packed the cut with a bag if ice and elevated it by laying on my side. Luckily I had one of those old time fishhooks where the eye was like a sewing needle. We used a hook file to remove the barb and a needle nose pliers to bend the end out to more of a u suture needle. By this time my arm was so numb from the ice I could not feel the suture hook. I used 4 LB monofilament fishing line rinsed in boiling water as suture.

Afterwards I went to a medical clinic in a nearby town. The doctor was amazed at the work. He pulled the line out and used the same suture channels to retie the wound.

I was lucky and did not panic. Although ice will not be available in many emergency cases, they do sell some topical numbing agents that are the next best thing to local anesthesia.
Old 02-19-2017, 10:14 AM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by NurseAmyDrBones View Post
Hi All!
Just wanted to share our channel with you that has 150 free videos on suturing, stapling, fish antibiotic use, expiration dates and more.
We do hold a few classes around the country if you want a 3 hour hands-on class, which you can check out on our website (doomandbloom.net).
Free information:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GlkuxNdTgchttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GlkuxNdTgc

Wow, survivalist Doctor and Nurse, want to join my Group? LOL
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Norse Lord For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2017, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NurseAmyDrBones View Post
Hi All!
Free information:

See you in Gonzales, La this weekend for your class.
Steve aka Cellblock776
The Following User Says Thank You to cellblock776 For This Useful Post: