Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Primitive Weapons, Bows and Crossbows
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 11-14-2012, 08:22 AM
Hunter

Location: When in the states, Washington State, outside Seattle
Thanked 2,082 Times in 884 Posts
Default Anyone have experience with these crossbows/have suggestions?

Advertise Here

I'll start off by saying that I already searched the forums and, while finding a few threads with some good info, nothing really answered my questions.

I'm looking to pick up a crossbow but know next-to-nothing about them. I understand the distinction between recurve and compound and am leaning toward recurve and, if necessary, a cocking device of sorts.

I'm looking for something capable of hunting, small game up to deer, and that is solidly built (i.e. won't have to worry about prods snapping randomly and other such structural issues).

Anyway, more to the point, I've found a few interesting crossbows on amazon and am wondering if anyone has any experience with them as the price tag is low compared to the higher-end models. Also, if you have any suggestions of models to look at, fire away.

First off is the Barnett Panzer V:
The first review seems to be from a knowlegeable individual familiar with crossbows and was a ringing endorsement. However, through reading around the 'net, I've heard they can have issues with the prod breaking. In short, if anyone has ever owned or handled on of these, I'd appreciate some input. I know Barnett is a reputable manufacturer, and if this crossbow is capable of being used for hunting, I don't see how the price can be beaten.

I was also looking at the Barnett Jackal, which runs a little over $100 more than the Panzer V, and is a compound, but definitely has more reviews and seems like a sturdier build overall.
The Jackal definitely seems a step or two closer to the upper echelon, but the Panzer is supposedly very quiet due to the design.

After the Barnetts, there's the Jaguar, . Looks nice, but I have no idea beyond what reviews say. It's a recurve again, and the price is right around the Panzer.

Finally, there's the Mk250:
Compound, looks decent, solid reviews...but again I just don't know.

At the end of the day, I know I may be asking too much to find a sub-$200-300 crossbow that is reliable enough to hunt with and that will last me for the forseeable future, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to consult those more knowlegeable than myself.

I appreciate any input at all...just tossing some ideas around in my head and trying to avoid a misguided purchase based on little information.

Also, I normally would have hit some other sites to search for existing threads, but anything specifically hunting/firearms related is blocked on my network...

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:08 PM

I have used the Panzer V and I think it's awful. I own a Horton Supreme SL that I love.
The Following User Says Thank You to WillS For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2012, 03:45 PM

Anybody use any from budK.com?
Old 11-14-2012, 04:26 PM

I have the Barnett Wildcat C5. I use it to hunt deer in archery season (legal in my area). Deer jump or duck the bolts quite a bit. I lose more bolts than are retrieved. On the contrary, they are very accurate, pretty reliable, very fast shooting and don't require much practice.

As for scopes get one with a standard scope, no red dot crap.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:26 PM

I own an Excaliber Exomax. Two-three inch group at 50 yards. I took it hunting last fall. Did not get a shot, but it is simple to restring, has a cockin
g aid. Love it!
Old 11-14-2012, 07:06 PM

I have a Barnett Wildcat C5 and it works very good and I'm happy hunting with it. Make sure you can use it in your state legally to hunt with!!! You need at least 59 ft/lbs to be considered lethal. The other big comparison is speed. I'd recommend 300 FPS or better.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:16 PM
-- - --

Thanked 1,914 Times in 1,128 Posts

You might try the website below. It has forums that discuss all crossbows and much info there.

http://www.crossbownation.com/forum/
The Following User Says Thank You to webfarmer For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2012, 08:29 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 7,642 Times in 2,098 Posts

I have the Jaguar and it is accurate and reliable.
The Following User Says Thank You to 9mmMike For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2012, 12:53 AM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 3,386 Times in 1,863 Posts

I would have to go with any of the Excalibur crossbows. Its hard to find a bad review of any them.

But other than that I have zero experience with crossbows.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:00 AM
Hunter

Location: When in the states, Washington State, outside Seattle
Thanked 2,082 Times in 884 Posts

I was considering the Excalibur Axiom...it's a little more than I would prefer, but seems like its the best bang for your buck in terms of recurve crossbows.

The Jaguar and Panzer are still possbilities though...I'll have to do more research.

Thanks for all the input.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:20 PM
-.-. --.-

Thanked 10,393 Times in 1,139 Posts

Has anyone shot a Scorpyd?
Old 11-17-2012, 09:23 AM

I'm planning on buying an Excalibur Axiom or Ibex. I've done some research on crossbows, and these get very high reviews. In addition, they are recurves and therefor require less maintenance and you can re-string it yourself, attributes that would be desirable in a SHTF situation.
The Axiom has the standard rifle stock configuration while the Ibex has the thumb hole type of stock and is a little more expensive ($40 or so).
We're taking a trip to Cabela's and Gander Mountain today to take a look at crossbows in general. It's recommended that you shoulder a crossbow (just like you would a rifle) to see which one fits you the best.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:56 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,162 Times in 3,074 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kontraktniki View Post
I was considering the Excalibur Axiom...it's a little more than I would prefer, but seems like its the best bang for your buck in terms of recurve crossbows.

The Jaguar and Panzer are still possbilities though...I'll have to do more research.

Thanks for all the input.
I really much prefer straight limb/prod xbows for SHTF (especially steel versions) as they are far simpler to maintain and/or repair but I still hunt, now, with a compound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_fair_fights View Post
Has anyone shot a Scorpyd?
Yes and the Horton as well.

I like them so much that I'm going to order one after Xmas and give my two Parkers to my sons-in-law.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:54 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,247 Times in 801 Posts

A buddy of mine has one of the top shelf Barnetts, and he's had nothing but problems with it. Could just be he got a 'Friday afternoon' model, but he's had a LOT of issues with it-enough that I'll never spend money on a Barnett. Another friend hunts with a Horton (the one with the reverse limbs), and it's been a good worker. I hunt with a Ten Point, have fired it thousands of times, and have never had a single issue with it.

I was reading a review about the Excaliber recurve crossbows, and they seem like solid and reliable workers also.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:05 PM
Rub some dirt on it

I haven't had a Crossbow in 7 years. But back when I had 3 different Horton Crossbows in a row, and they were very inaccurate. People kept telling me a had a bad one, because I bought them all used, but I'm not sure. I am extremely accurate with my compound bow, and pretty good with an old recurve bow. But in my limited experience with Horton, they were terrible. These were all late 90's model bows, so they could be better now, but all 3 were awful. At 30 yards I could keep them in a 10" group, most of the time. With my recurve I can shoot a 4" group all day @30 yards. My Compound, I can bust knocks off @30 Yards. That's all I know, but like I said, that was just Hortons from the late 90's. Hope this helps a little
Old 11-18-2012, 02:21 PM
Rub some dirt on it

I wanted to add that mine were NOT recurve crossbows. They had the cams on the limbs. In general, I here great things about a lot of recurve crossbows, and have nothing but good about the Ten-Point Brand. But I have no experience with these newer bows.