Survivalist Forum banner

Snakes...eastern diamondback rattlesnake

13K views 32 replies 21 participants last post by  Altarboy 
#1 ·
Help! I really don't like Snakes.:eek:

I just had one like this next to my screen room by the door 45 min ago. Rattlin away at the cat through the screen.

about 4 or 5 feet long.

By the time I got the 22 out he split.

Anyone know how to get rid of these so they don't come back?

Besides the 22 cal.

See less See more
#5 ·
By the time I got the 22 out he split.

Anyone know how to get rid of these so they don't come back?

Besides the 22 cal.
There are some products that dont really work that are out there to repel snakes. Some say mothballs do. But this doesnt work for everysnake, and it doesnt repell them. Just some snakes dont like the smell.

Bottom line is that there really isn't to many things you can do at all to keep the snakes away. Just be careful not to scare one.

#6 ·
As for the mothballs, as far as I know, pit vipers do not smell but sense vibration and thermal heat...

I believe the rattler is territorial so that it gravitates to a specific area- the one where it was born into. There may be evidence that when they are relocated that they actually die out...

As much as I respect their place in the foodchain, if I had one in the vicinity of my house, I would kill it.

Period.

I have a deep-seated, primal fear of snakes and rattlers in particular. I consider them a competitor in that they can kill me or at the very least cause me great physical disability for the remainder of my life.

#17 ·
Cool I forgot we have a lot of hawks and some buzzards in my area, the developement behind me is called hawks ridge or something like that. Found out just in time I have been clearing brush around my house for about the last two weeks. I must have demolished his home. Glad I did not find him with my leg... GO Hawks!

#15 ·
Don't know if this is true or not but I've been told a couple of times by an old cowboy and a rancher I met once that snakes, especially rattlers, don't like cats. The cat or cats will endlessly circle the snake preying on it and finally the snake will give up and haul butt outta there.

But yes, you definitely need to find it and send it into the afterlife for the sake of your kids, yourself, the pets and the neighborhood.

#21 ·
NE Diamonbacks are on the endangered list - so post your results carefully.

a well groomed lawn, cat, and/or dog should help.

Realize that a nest has lots, the neighbours dog and your sighting are seperate, there can be as many snakes as the food supply allows.

Not sure where you live, but early fall is rattler season in the Adirondacks.

Letting the dog run awhile before the kids go outside should keep the snakes away.

#28 · (Edited)
I'm in SW florida near Ft Myers on 2 acers.

Property Land lot Home House Tree

I go out in what we call the back back and we have a rear horse gate to about 10-15 miles of powerline trails for riding the quad's. minibikes and Go cart. I will have to be more carefull when in the back back I had no idea we had rattlers around here.

We have armadillos we shoot them...

Black racer snakes we like them and don't shoot them. They come out and watch me mow the lawn.

Occasionally an Aligator turtle wanders into the yard we can't shoot, Endangered.

We see swamp buggys on the trails out in the back back

They hunt for hogs with dogs, Kinda cool.

It's going on the market soon so first 450k takes it and the snake. 1/2 price from 3 years ago OH Joy...

#29 ·
There is a product called "snake away". I buy it at our local Ace Hardware. We put it out at our hunting cabin after finding a copperhead under one of the bunks several years ago. Have not had any snakes since. Does smell like moth balls, and when we go up before hunting season, we air it out for a day.
Then we spread it all around the outside of the cabin.

#30 ·
Everyone has covered this pretty well ,so heres my little bit.Snake boots are a good investement if you work in the brush during snake season.Yes if you saw one theres another close by and this late and them moving ,you also probably have a den somewhere close (they will always return to the den for the winter).I live in serious timber rattler conutry and a 7 footer here is not that uncommon.I catch them with a 3pronged garden hoe put them in a 5 gal bucket and take them to the wildlife management area down the road.Ought to have seen the argument I had with a game warden about letting a 6 footer go on the area. Its been mentioned about King Snakes eating other snakes .There is a 7footplus king that lives in my fence row so luckly I don't have a problem with rattlers in the yard ,just the garden. Most dogs hate snake and will kill them if they can ( Dobermans are great at this and mine have killed several 6 foot plus snakes)Good luck and watch where you step.

#31 ·
I see you are from TN.

After we sell the home that's where we wan't to go... TN near or on douglass lake by the smokies. Guess the rattler issue was training for TN.

All great posts... I feel like a semi expert. Snake boots... Whodathunkit? Guess a trip to Tractor supply is in order! (I love that place)

:thumb:

#32 ·
I'm not sure about east Tn. but around here is loaded.My part of Tn is mostly limestone so you have rattlers .South of me where it turns into red chert rock; you get into the copper heads .I can deal with the rattlers ,but don't want any part of those coppers!! Heres one for ya , about ten yrs ago I had a Dobie come in rattler bit and the fang marks were 3&3/4 inchs wide .Biggest I have seen were on a 7ft3in and were 2 &1/4 wide .How big is the other one ??

#33 ·
They ae endangered. Just push it out of the yard with a broom or something. It's against the law to kill them. I never see them here. We have plenty of timber rattlers. They are larger, and the last several inches of their tail are black. I just push them with a broom and they go away. We found two at the end of the driveway one day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.