Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Health, Fitness and First Aid
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 11-17-2012, 06:46 AM

Advertise Here

I think you need to eat enough, which is required for your body. Your aim should to fill your hunger. not your belly. Otherwise you might get yourself in some trouble, like digestion problem.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:34 PM
Sundown dazzling day

Thanked 12,254 Times in 5,642 Posts

Sometimes we want to feel full, when the goal really is not to feel hunger. I know the difference from when I was really poor and there was something great about just being able not to be hungry. Back then I couldn't cared less about being full. Now, with more access to food, my attitude changed, and I want to feel satiated. I simply have it too good! LOL.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:50 PM
Recent Blog:
Survival at any cost

Your thirsty.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5vfaydkxSI
Old 11-18-2012, 08:18 AM
Research, Learn, Share

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrybo View Post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How does one throw that switch in their head to make them stop eating? I can eat a full meal and want something else half hour later. I can't stop eating if there is food around. If my wife isn't home when I get there I sneak food, and then eat dinner. WTF?
Is it my age? 61 I weigh 245 and am 5' 10". I even go to the gym 3 times a week and actually have some pretty good workouts. What's the secret? What am I missing?
Also, take a look at the type of foods you are eating in that full meal. You could be causing your insulin to spike - and that makes your body crave carbohydrates to offset the extra insulin. Then, of course, the new carbs have a similar effect and you are on the merry-go-round. If you can reduce the sugar carbs - starches, things with HFCS, sweets - and replace that volume with protein and/or complex carbs (greens) you may see some of those follow-up cravings diminish. If you do experience that effect, then you have the knowledge about your body's response to your diet that will allow you to make more substitutions and perhaps eliminate the eating issue. Good luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to Shorebird For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2012, 08:55 PM

I know the feeling henrybo. For me the trigger is boredom. It doesn't help that I have a major sweet tooth.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:57 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,830 Times in 721 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrybo View Post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How does one throw that switch in their head to make them stop eating? I can eat a full meal and want something else half hour later. I can't stop eating if there is food around. If my wife isn't home when I get there I sneak food, and then eat dinner. WTF?
Is it my age? 61 I weigh 245 and am 5' 10". I even go to the gym 3 times a week and actually have some pretty good workouts. What's the secret? What am I missing?
Back off the carbs and eat more meat and a lot more fat.

Have a big rump steak cooked in butter, then tell me you are hungry in half and hour.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rett For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2012, 06:11 PM
Wide-Eyed and Stern

I know if I eat breakfast, I'm starved around lunchtime. But if I skip breakfast, I'm fine until dinnertime. See, my job is too busy to break away for lunch. I work a regular 8 hour shift, so it's not like I'm not going without or anything. I just skip breakfast so I'm not angry and suffering during work. I just thought that was fascinating, that eating 'made me hungry' 4 hours later. You could also try altering you actual mealtimes.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:15 PM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dethmaul View Post
I know if I eat breakfast, I'm starved around lunchtime. But if I skip breakfast, I'm fine until dinnertime. See, my job is too busy to break away for lunch. I work a regular 8 hour shift, so it's not like I'm not going without or anything. I just skip breakfast so I'm not angry and suffering during work. I just thought that was fascinating, that eating 'made me hungry' 4 hours later. You could also try altering you actual mealtimes.
You don't need to eat 3 times a day. That's one of the major problems, IMO. That nonsense gets pounded into us from birth. We stop maybe 3-400 calories short of what will make us feel full at a meal. It screws with the brain and we end up taking in more calories in the long run while still feeling like we're hungry.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:54 PM
Prepared

Henrybo, I'm the same as you man. I can eat like a horse. The solution for me is a kind of reset, which I'm in the middle of right now.

If you have an hour and a half may I suggest that you watch "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead". It's on Hulu for free. I began to get hives for no particular reason. That told me that my autoimmune system was screwed and I needed to stop eating like I was on death row. I need to lose 40 pounds to get down to my ideal weight, maybe a little less now.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/289122

I didn't buy the juicer they show in the documentary. I bought a decent one at Wallyworld. I use the heck out of it. They say it's time consuming to juice and clean up but, I haven't found that to be true. I grab what I need, turn the juicer on, wash and cut up the fruits or veggies, stuff them in the juicer, and when I finish the juice I rinse and wipe everything down for the next time. The juicing takes five minutes and the cleanup takes three.

I know that I have to confront my appetite with the big guns, I have to make war on it or I'll get no where. The way I figure it I need to shrink my stomach, detox, and get healthy.

If I might make a suggestion, should you decide to go this route, start out with juicing recipes and don't just start throwing stuff in the juicer. It is possible to make some nasty tasting juices. Some good ones are "Mean Green Juice" and pretty much all the citrus and berry juices. Go simple on the veggie juices and they will taste better. Too much variety and it taste like dirt.