Survivalist Forum banner

Dentist after SHTF ~ yea, think again

3K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  Aussie Mike 
#1 ·
I have been fairly lucky when it comes to my teeth, until recently. I'm 38yrs old & the only major problem I had was back in '97 when a large portion of one of my bottom rear tooth decided to fall of after eating bread of all things, about the size of a pea. No prob's, went to the Dentist, got it cleaned up & glued a new piece back on. About a year ago, I noticed there was a huge cavity developed where the filling met the tooth at the bottom, well a few months went past & brushing my teeth one night, the old filling fell off, no choice but to fix it now. It was touch & go about crowning it etc but I decided to have it pulled. By the way I had all 4 wisdom teeth removed when I joined the army, they just like you not to have them (prevention better than cure ideology). When I had an x-ray before they pulled it, he noticed a small cavity developing on the gum line on the opposite side on the bottom tooth. I could barely see it. Well 5 months later this invisible cavity had grown big enough to hold about 3 pieces of rice grains. Again, I got it removed. I've read quite a few of the "do it ya-self" dentists and discussing it & having to do it will be 2 completely different things. On both extractions, the tooth broke in 2, the first time around he got it out within 2 mins, this last one today broke as well, but the roots broke off flush with the gum line & he spent another 15 minutes "digging" out the roots. Today he had to give several more numbing injections during the procedure and I was still squirming cause it was hurting like a mother focker.

I'm 6'6", 250 & trust me when I say I've been through pain in the past, I cannot fathom having dental work done post SHTF without either being unconscious or dead. I should have received braces when i was a kid but the folks couldn't afford it so i've lived with it. Having these 2 teeth pulled in the past few months has made my post shtf dental awareness painfully strong lately. The other teeth are fine & as I said I don't have any fillings, but i do have some areas that the enamel is starting to come off. I am seriously considering just removing all of them & getting fakes or implants. Never have to worry about getting knocked out to have a tooth pulled with a pair of pliers & digging out fragments with a pitch fork.

There are so many things we take for granted living in today's world with access to the modern medical marvels. Men can be girls when they get sick or are hurting (lol, ask my gf) I'm taking some seriously potent pain killers & it still hurts like hell, my biggest fear post SHTF, dealing with pain. If you have the way, trust me, get your body in the best possible shape now, not tomorrow.

See less See more
#3 ·
you know what i bought was a dental emergency kit and had to use it about a month ago i had a filling drop out i stuck in the tempory because i was out in the field and didnt want to have to miss training to go to the dentist. that crap held for two weeks and felt just like my regular filling though it took me a couple tries and some wincing to push the crap into the hole in my tooth

#6 ·
i dont have any more of mine thank god. they came out in many fashions auto wreck, robbed, its a long story!!!. but im a special affects artist now. and am able too make full dentures. i have enough supplies too make 40 of them if needed!! and i can change my appearances for dicey situations! if needed.... there is a plus side in plastic..

#7 ·
I've looked through a bit of "where there is no dentist" (the doctor one is good too.). They are written on the simplistic side, because you have to take a guess at the level of education of the people who are using it in very rustic places already.

I noticed an emphasis on the making of primitive toothbrushes and prevention.

Since I have a high threshold for pain, I also did the risky thing and removed part of a tooth a while back. It had cracked vertically, and the pieces rubbing together drove me bonkers. It worked out, freaked a friend out, and helped me last til the weekend was over. My regular dental office got me in to pull the other part right away.

And I added a bottle of pain pills to the supply of stuff I have available at the house.

#9 ·
For whatever reason, mainly the difficultly of digging out the roots, this one hurt a tad more. Over the years when I've had to take pain meds (can count the number of times on 1 hand) small doses don't work for me. Last night before bed I took 4 Ibuprofen, 2 x 10mg diazepam & 2 x 10/325 oxycod, about 4hrs later after taking these, I finally fell asleep but woke up several times throughout the night/early morning. The gf can only take half a pill of oxycod & she is out for the count, I just find it interesting my body needs such higher doses. Alcohol is actually the same for me as well, to get "drunk" I have to drink somewhere between half & 3/4 of a 750ml bottle of spirits, an expensive exercise if you ask me.

For those people out there that need dental work done, find a way, get it taken care of now.

#10 ·
For whatever reason, mainly the difficultly of digging out the roots, this one hurt a tad more. Over the years when I've had to take pain meds (can count the number of times on 1 hand) small doses don't work for me. Last night before bed I took 4 Ibuprofen, 2 x 10mg diazepam & 2 x 10/325 oxycod, about 4hrs later after taking these, I finally fell asleep but woke up several times throughout the night/early morning. The gf can only take half a pill of oxycod & she is out for the count, I just find it interesting my body needs such higher doses. Alcohol is actually the same for me as well, to get "drunk" I have to drink somewhere between half & 3/4 of a 750ml bottle of spirits, an expensive exercise if you ask me.
Are you a redhead? We have a harder time with pain control and anesthesia,but also altered pain tolerance(some pains are worse some don't bother us at all).

#12 ·
I'm not a redhead, technically, but there were traces of it when I was younger. I didn't know it was related to pain and pain management issues.

You're certainly not one of the lucky ones Mike, it can be harsh when the painkillers and such don't work for you. If you have a regular doctor you see when you need stitched or splinted, have you had them make a record of it so future docs will listen? I go round and round with dentists about whatever it is they use, two shots even in the back, and never less than three in front, and the other stuff they give (supposed to make it all foggy so you aren't traumatized by it) just gets me high. I remember every detail.

The less-pain/no-pain gig landed me in hospital for a month once, because I only thought I was a little ill, turns out I had such a high white-cell count, they wondered why I was still alive. They told me I should have been in a great deal of pain.

Since vicodin and the like don't help much for the things they are prescribed for, that I don't much feel anyway (extractions, or post-surgery, regular dental visits are a killer!) I just save them for using when I have migraines. A bottle lasts me all year.

#14 ·
This is a great thread. With all the goings on in the world lately I took it upon myself to have some dreaded dental work last Friday as well. I don't want to be in the middle of an economic Depression or in a shtf scenario with a swollen head because of a tooth infection. I had two pulled Friday afternoon that were beyond repair. The stiches are still in my mouth to prove it! Get your medical and dental needs met now. It might not be as simple a few months from now.

#15 ·
There is no substitute for getting a check up every 6 months. Sure it may put you back $200-400/year if you don't have insurance but it's well worth it. It's much better to fix cavities while they are still small than waiting for them to get worse. And they WILL get worse. People delay treatment and they are shocked when the small ($200 to fix) cavity is now a $1500 fix. So what to people do at that point? They get the tooth pulled. Ride your bike to work for a month, cancel your cable if you have to, but never avoid a regular check-up because of cost.

Don't be afraid to discuss financial issues with your dentist. You might be surprised if you are open and honest. He'll likely cut you a break until you can get back on your feet. Of course, don't do it if you pull up in a brand new truck talking on your fancy cell phone. Most dentists are willing to help you out but not if you have the money and choose not to make it a financial priority.

Also I wouldn't recommend dentures if you can help it. Having no teeth won't kill you but you'll be cutting your food into tiny pieces for the rest of your life...

As to getting teeth fixed AFTER SHTF, your guess is as good as mine. The problem with dentistry is it's VERY dependant on having lots of expensive tools, equipment, and supplies to properly fix teeth. X-ray units, air-driven drills, suction units, etc. Much will depend on how bad it gets. Extractions can be done with just local anesthetic and a forecep but not much else. Even a simple filling requires quite a bit of "stuff" to do properly (meaning it will last).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.