Survivalist Forum banner

Dentist in a box

6K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  yakkier 
#1 ·
#10 ·
That's why we've got two dentists (husband and wife) in our SHTF circle - and we've been stocking-up on dental supplies. Some things we have learned from them ...

1 - have plenty of Novocaine handy. Keep it in a fridge. Any old syringes will do (like insulin syringes) but they like to have their special reusable ones in the kit.
2 - maybe one of the most important things is dental adhesives. They've got three different kinds, three colors I think. We put plenty of that in the kit. Plus the epoxies and silvers for fillings - but they have some special ways they plan on approaching that problem if it occurs.
3 - Fordham tool and bits and a way to run it. We had to put our heads together for this one. We ended-up going with a Fordham tool that can run off of DC for obvious reasons.
4 - Keep stocking up on the Z-packs. Keep them in the fridge, but still, they will eventually expire after four or five years so you gotta rotate them. We try to stick a new Z-pack in the fridge (we keep ours in tupperware) every three months and we have maybe 15 or sixteen in there right now.
5 - and this may be the most important one of all. Once you bring a dentist into the circle, help them figure out their special BOB. Our couple doesn't like guns, but they love generators and prepping for everything else and they've got the money to really add to your group. So we had them focus on their BOB and the dental supplies they keep on hand at their office, tools and supplies, that they can throw into a bag and head to their cars with at the drop of a hat. That has evolved into a bag they keep packed these days and they don't mind us going through it and them showing it off whenever we are there.

There are a lot of doctors and dentists getting into the spirit of things these days. So don't limit yourself to the store bought kits. Make friends with your dentist, tell them what you have in mind, and you may be surprised how it turns out for you.

We did the same thing with a Urologist friend of ours and now he is full fledged prepping as part of our group. Plus, he is a surgeon. I gave his wife and him free concealed weapons training and it's turned into a legit friendship. He was an internist before becoming a urologist and a surgeon. He and his wife are valuable members and very active.

Don't be afraid to approach the medical professionals. That's the best way to make sure you are covered for some of these issues if the shtf. I've been absolutely amazed at how many doctors there are out there who are worried about our future society.

#13 ·
Plus the epoxies and silvers for fillings - but they have some special ways they plan on approaching that problem if it occurs.
The epoxies don't have a very long shelf life, usually 1-3 years, and they will harden up and become unusable. Do you know how long is the shelf life for amalgam filling material? I haven't use it for 6 years since I left dental school but am now considering storing them as I think they will probably last longer. Would you be able to find out from your dentist friends how long is the shelf life for amalgam?

Also they might want to consider investing in one of these

http://www.aseptico.com/aeu-14cf.html

Runs on battery pack rechargeable with solar panels.

#12 ·
A very important dental tip for SHTF is to take smaller bites & chew slowly. I have ALL my natural teeth except for two. The first one I shattered on a bone fragment in a piece of sausage & the second one I shattered on a bone fragment in a cheeseburger.

Both times it was very painfull & if a dentist wasn't available I'd probably have ended up shooting myself. My teeth are strong with deep roots. Both times it took the dentist a little over an hour to extract the broken tooth, so there's little chance I could have extracted them myself.

I've got to stop wolfing down my food like a starving animal, it will also help conserve food when it is scarce.

#22 ·
Gallo Pazzesco you are very lucky to be living in the USA. The US-14 CF Mil Spec kit is my dream toy but I was quoted AUD$7500 by the local supplier :taped: so I've decided to put the money on a Barrett instead (which is $500 more and without a scope, again being ripped off big time :mad:).

Anyway, can you find out from your friends what's the shelf life of amalgam? Thanks!

#24 ·
Agreed. Waiting for a real dentist with a high speed drill, anesthetic, crown and bridge building equipment, root canal and filling skills might be a long wait in a TEOTWAWKI situation.
Getting the tools and the knowledge to extract a tooth could save a life. Is there anything else in there a layman can do?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.