Survivalist Forum banner

Uses for 5 gallon buckets

20K views 56 replies 38 participants last post by  ImStillHere 
#1 ·
I have posted a video on my bucket shower and we know we can store food and stuff in them. I am interested to see your creativity. What are some other uses that you have found for these buckets?

#33 ·
I like the boiling oil ove the seige wall one. :) LOL

They are great for tools especially in a wet basement. I use them and each bucket has a certain group of tools and easily labled w/ a marker.

If the basement floods (which it does after an extra hard rain around 2"), the tools stay dry.

I am fixing the flood problem though.

#34 ·
You can also take a bucket with lid place sand, gravel, and portland cement (all dry) in the bucket.

close the lid and roll the bucket (on side) hve the kids do it.

It will mix the concrete all together, way way way cheaper that the sackrette sack.

When you use it, just pour it (dry) in the hole after the fence post is put it and then sprinkle it with water. Keep it wet thur out the day. It will sit up just as hard as wet cement but you do not have the mess on tools or wheel barrel.

If you do not use it all, seal the lid and it will stay dry until ;you are ready for it again.

Later
wayne

#38 ·
I keep my roadside kit in one behind my truck seat.

Jumper cables
Flares
Chains
1st aid kit
Soap to clean it out

It holds everything neat and can be used for other things like water storeage in a pinch.

I'm also doing an ammo cache. Sealed some 223 and 9mm and put it in a bucket. Sealed it with silicon and dug a 3 foot hole. I'll pull it up nest summer to see how it worked out.

#39 ·
I want to start storing rice, grains, beans, etc in foodgrade buckets but need advice... what's the best way to store them as long as possible.. do I get a great vacuum sealer and do a few pounds at a time (with an oxygen absorber in each bag) and toss into the bucket and seal?.. how much storage can I get out of that in years?

#43 ·
You can cut off the bottom 4 inchs and glue some golf balls in them and use as a gold pan saw it on youtube.

A toilet

areoponics system just add a air pump and air stone and let the plants root hang above the water

A shower heat up some water and hang is in a tree add a short piece of hose and a watering can sprinkler and a s hook to hang it up when your putting your soap on

Geocahces

Put your animal feed in so it dosent get water in it or mice,rats,bird etc

use it to make sand castles at the beach

store old motor oil

put your tools in

make a compost in it

use it as a cooler by wraping it with insulating foam around it

keep your animals warm by putting water and a fish tank heater in it

mix a big batch of iced tea and put a ball valve on the bottom to dispence it

use it for a time capsule

mix cement in it

landry machine

Homebrew brewing container

Fill it with your pennies

use it to make ice cream in add ice salt and water and your container of mlik, sugar, and flavour shake it up

take it to 7-11 and ask for a refil

use it as a ice cube form

#44 ·
I have stored baby clothes in them, works great as they stack easy and high and I can flip them all over to make them fit where I need them to be without spilling out the contents.

I get the 25 or 50 lb. bags of sugar and flour from Costco and break it down into manageable sizes into Ziplock bags and store them in the buckets I get from the bakery for free. I break the flour into 6 and a half cup size because that's how much is required to make my bread. All I have to do is open the bucket up and pull out the individual premeasured bags and close it back up. These buckets have seals. I don't use the oxygen absorbers and haven't had any problems as of yet.

I have used them to grow tomatoes, bell peppers and other things also.

Hubby uses one to keep his car washing supplies in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.