Survivalist Forum banner

Cooking With Wheat Berries

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  randkl 
#1 ·
It is snowing outside and I thought what better day to really learn to cook with my supplies. I opened a can of wheat berries. I soaked my wheat berries over night in water and then drained and rinsed.

Ingredients
1 c. red wheat berries
3 c. vegetable broth
1 lb. brussels sprouts, trimmed and quartered
1 large shallot, chopped
2 tbsp. olive oil, divided
1/4 c. walnut pieces
1 tbsp. lemon juice
zest from 1 lemon
salt + pepper to taste

Instructions
1.Bring wheatberries and broth to a boil in a saucepan. Drain. Set aside.
2.Preheat oven to 425 degrees. (Wonder how well this would work on a woodstove.)
3.Toss brussels sprouts, shallots, and 1 tablespoon of olive oil and then bake for fifteen or twenty minuetes. You might have to stir every once in a while. Remove from oven and add in walnut pieces.
4.Whisk together lemon juice, zest, remaining oil, salt and pepper. Mix all ingredients and serve.

It was really good.

Now, in a shtf situation, brussel sprouts are not going to be had. They can be dehydrated though and used later. Won't be same texture. Walnuts don't have a long shelf life but hey! For the first six months of a shtf situation I think I can use this recipe.

Thought I would share and get ideas on wheat berries.

See less See more
#2 ·
So you just brought your wheat berries to a boil and immediately shut off the heat and drained them? Did they cook properly? Mine never cook that quickly.

#3 ·
Healthy breakfast made with Wheat Berries

My favorite breakfast, and one that I have been enjoying for over 20 years uses Wheat Berries and other cereal grains. I combine Wheat Berries, Oat Groats, short grain brown rice, Rye berries and hulled barley. I rinse them in my rice washer, then add to the rice cooker. I then add a few ounces of quinoa and flax seeds. They are too small to rinse in the rice washer.

Add water equal to what you would use for brown rice. I add about five cups of water for two cups of the mix. Push the cook timer for brown rice and in 2 hours, I have a large batch that goes in the refrigerator and lasts a week.

In the morning, I fill a large cereal bowl, add raisins and or blue berries, dates etc, a handful of walnut pieces, add milk, then honey on top and microwave until hot, stir and enjoy.

In my opinion, there isn't a healthier breakfast that you can eat. It is a combination of the world's most popular cereal grains, nuts, dried fruit, milk and honey. You want to talk about roughage and fiber for regularity. It doesn't get any better than that!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.