***Ladies Section*** Detergent for cloth diapers - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Ladies Section The Girlvivalists Hangout Area.

Advertise Here

Old 02-22-2015, 10:31 AM

Default ***Ladies Section*** Detergent for cloth diapers

Advertise Here

Found this thought it may be of interest to some, hope it helps.
What are some of your thought and uses of similar ideas.
http://homereadyhome.com/homemade-cl...per-detergent/
Old 02-22-2015, 04:28 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,995 Times in 929 Posts

Haven't actually used my diapers yet, but I have been using a similar recipe for 2 years for our clothes. I have gotten everything out thats gotten into our clothes.
Old 02-22-2015, 07:37 PM

I don't have little ones at home anymore,but I use this for my laundry soap..could add oxi later...and it is easier to manage then a big huge jug

http://www.budget101.com/myo-househo...auce-3993.html
The Following User Says Thank You to kelee877 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2015, 07:23 AM
Raving Loony

Thanked 3,822 Times in 1,471 Posts

I think maybe I'm going to start using this recipe. Seriously, mine calls for the same ingredients plus 2.5 gallons of water. Why, exactly, am I storing 2.5 gallons of water in a bucket in my utility room, when I can have laundry soap in a quart jar on the shelf?!

Why, exactly, am I wasting 2.5 gallons of water??
Old 02-23-2015, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Ain't Crazy View Post
I think maybe I'm going to start using this recipe. Seriously, mine calls for the same ingredients plus 2.5 gallons of water. Why, exactly, am I storing 2.5 gallons of water in a bucket in my utility room, when I can have laundry soap in a quart jar on the shelf?!

Why, exactly, am I wasting 2.5 gallons of water??
My first batch that I found online was like that I did not like it because I could not lift the jugs...

Now I have teens in my home that did the usual uggg mom...but now they love the new laundry soap in the canning jars....

We add the new gain chrystals for smell, got a few of the downy ones on sale for 2.00, so they will go in the next batch

a side note I will sometimes do up 3-4 batches at a time..and I am trying to figure out a different source for holding the detergent in case I need the canning jars(eventhou we have over a thousand of the darn things,which are full)...

Can you pm me later and tell me how it worked for you using this laundry soap receipe..please
Old 02-23-2015, 08:06 AM

I wouldn't mind storing it dry either (I make my own, but in liquid form), but seeing as I have a front-loader high efficiency, I'd be afraid the small amount of water used in the wash cycle wouldn't be enough to dissolve properly.

Anyone have any experience with the front loader/low water use cycles with this dry recipe?
Old 02-24-2015, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloegirl16 View Post
I wouldn't mind storing it dry either (I make my own, but in liquid form), but seeing as I have a front-loader high efficiency, I'd be afraid the small amount of water used in the wash cycle wouldn't be enough to dissolve properly.

Anyone have any experience with the front loader/low water use cycles with this dry recipe?

In this link..is one for front loaders

Front-loader Machine Directions:

Fill the machine with dirty clothes
Measure out 1 Tablespoon (literally) of super laundry sauce On Top of the dirty Clothes
Close the washer, start it, go away and do something else while the machine runs.
Old 02-25-2015, 02:33 PM
Gypsy in the Midwest

Thanked 3,025 Times in 865 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepins View Post
Found this thought it may be of interest to some, hope it helps.
What are some of your thought and uses of similar ideas.
http://homereadyhome.com/homemade-cl...per-detergent/
The problem I see with the first recipe is it lacks soap. LOL! You need to add a bar of grated Zoap, Ivory, or Fals-Naptha. You can skip the Oxy-Clean and add as needed.

I have cloth diapered. (Prefolds & pockets) The trick is to use HOT water and to give an extra rinse to each load. If there is a heavy urine smell add 1/4 cup of vinegar to the load. If you have an old top loader, soak them overnight. If you can, put them on the clothes line to dry with the inner portion (or any "stains" facing the sun). The sun will get the stains out.

You never (NEVER!!!) want to use any fabric softner or Dryer Sheets on cloth diapers. It causes there to be a build up on the diapers and they do not absorb as well. The scented Crystals are okay but I prefer not to use them. I think if something is CLEAN it doesn't need to stink like flowers. (And people often use fabric softner, perfume, scented hairspray, scented lotion, etc and all those smells start to clash and the person just has an overwhelming odor that makes me want to gag. )

If you are washing by hand, you want to have Flats with covers. They are the easiest to wash by hand and dry the quickest. (Easy Temporary Alternative for a short term power outage would be to wash with a toilet plunger in a 5 gallon bucket and rinse twice. )

I currently have a HE washer and I use homemade detergent. You don't need much and I add the powder directly to the washer. I only make up a very diluted liquid version as a pre-treater for stains.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MonaMomma For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2015, 07:18 PM
Raving Loony

Thanked 3,822 Times in 1,471 Posts

They have a recipe for home-made dish soap too. Has anyone tried it, and if you have, does it actually cut the grease????

I would LOVE to stop shelling out for Dawn at the Dollar Store (and having to either keep several gallons on the shelf or inevitably end up running out for the darn stuff). If this recipe works (or someone else has one that does), I would be thrilled, because all the ingredients are things I already prep for other reasons, and I could have the "Dawn Space" for other things.
Old 12-24-2016, 10:23 AM

Hi everybody,
I have a problem and I hope that youcan help me with some useful tips and advice. I have a three-month-old boy and I've decided to start using clth diapers. I have read on some baby websites that cloth diapers can eliminate the need for creams to treat diaper rash. Can you give me some tips on how to wash cloth diapers?
Thanks a lot
The Following User Says Thank You to Jenny28 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2016, 10:54 AM
Canning queen

Scrape off the solids, if you can, and toss 'em in the washer. Use an independant load just for dipes. Never, ever, ever, use fabric softener. They cause a build up of stuff that eventually requires you to strip them. FS also makes things slightly water resistant, which is not good for dipes. Use a standard detergent.

You can use coconut oil based salves with cloth diapers, but typically, you'll want to avoid commercial salves...they just never come out of the cloth.
Old 12-26-2016, 01:55 PM

I do not use homemade laundry detergent on cloth diapers. I use Gain, Tide Original, or Persil. I also add a laundry booster of oxiclean and 1/2 cup of Pine Sol. Yes, you can use Pine Sol in the laundry according to the manufacturer's site.

This is my routine:

1) Pre-wash with a little bit of detergent (maybe 1 or 2 tbsp).
2) Normal wash with regular amount of detergent + laundry boosters.
3) Throw in dryer.

I do not do an additional rinse. If I am washing diapers at the cottage, I do the same thing. However, I add 1/2 cup of borax because the water is slightly hard. I only have access to cold water out here and my diapers will come out clean.

As for dirty diapers, I store in a diaper bucket for whatever amount of time it takes for a load. I remove any solids with toilet paper. If necessary, I will rinse in laundry sink then throw in the diaper bucket until they go in the wash.

This routine has worked wonders. Until I started doing this, my diapers had a big buildup of Ammonia. I did one strip with the Grovia stripping solution and then followed with a sanitizing step using bleach. I have not had to do another strip since following the above wash routine.

I highly recommend this website: http://www.fluffloveuniversity.com/.

They have a lot of useful information regarding different laundry situations. The important things when it comes to diapers is using a good detergent and testing your water hardness.
The Following User Says Thank You to WinterPrepper For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2016, 01:56 PM

The fluff love website also has a section on diaper creams. I use petroleum jelly as diaper cream and don't have any issues getting it out of the diapers.
Old 01-02-2017, 06:07 AM
Hiker

You can disinfect diapers with a pre-soak in a bucket with bleach diluted 1;10.
Old 01-02-2017, 08:32 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,558 Times in 700 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelee877 View Post
In this link..is one for front loaders

Front-loader Machine Directions:

Fill the machine with dirty clothes
Measure out 1 Tablespoon (literally) of super laundry sauce On Top of the dirty Clothes
Close the washer, start it, go away and do something else while the machine runs.

that's a whole lotta work for laundry detergent.....
Old 02-07-2017, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterPrepper View Post
I do not use homemade laundry detergent on cloth diapers. I use Gain, Tide Original, or Persil. I also add a laundry booster of oxiclean and 1/2 cup of Pine Sol. Yes, you can use Pine Sol in the laundry according to the manufacturer's site.

This is my routine:

1) Pre-wash with a little bit of detergent (maybe 1 or 2 tbsp).
2) Normal wash with regular amount of detergent + laundry boosters.
3) Throw in dryer.

I do not do an additional rinse. If I am washing diapers at the cottage, I do the same thing. However, I add 1/2 cup of borax because the water is slightly hard. I only have access to cold water out here and my diapers will come out clean.

As for dirty diapers, I store in a diaper bucket for whatever amount of time it takes for a load. I remove any solids with toilet paper. If necessary, I will rinse in laundry sink then throw in the diaper bucket until they go in the wash.

This routine has worked wonders. Until I started doing this, my diapers had a big buildup of Ammonia. I did one strip with the Grovia stripping solution and then followed with a sanitizing step using bleach. I have not had to do another strip since following the above wash routine.

I highly recommend this website: http://www.fluffloveuniversity.com/.

They have a lot of useful information regarding different laundry situations. The important things when it comes to diapers is using a good detergent and testing your water hardness.
This is kind of awesome! Thanks for this, very helpful.