Survivalist Forum banner

Which do you prefer for your military-style black rifle?

• Single Point Sling

Votes: 50 32.7%
  • Two Point Sling

Votes: 82 53.6%
  • Three Point Sling

Votes: 21 13.7%

1-Point, 2-Point or 3-Point Sling On A Black Rifle - Which Do You Prefer?

57K views 54 replies 42 participants last post by  Writer's Block 
#1 ·
Hey Y'all, I'm going to buy a new sling soon. I'm interested in knowing what y'all prefer and why. I *think* I've just about ruled out the single-point sling for myself, but if that's your fave, I'd still like to know why. If you're ex or current military or SWAT and can tell us your real-world experience and/or advanced training with the different systems, I'd appreciate it.

For my purposes, it will be for training for now. My wife and I are enrolled in a one-week tactical rifle course that starts in late January. (Ain't it great to have a wife who thinks this is the kind of "getaway" we'd both enjoy?) It will be our third, and most advanced, course that we've taken together. Thanks in advance for whatever advice you can offer for how I can be the best prepared to do well in the course.

Blues

#2 ·
If you are in and out of a car all the time 1 point slings are great. Also if you had a pistol sized weapon like a AR-15 pistol etc that might be ok. However go to one combat shoot and find the guy with a 1 point sling. Chances are hes gonna crack himself in the nuts and colapse.

I prefer ADJUSTABLE 2 point slings. They seem to be prefered by alot of people now. Basiclly you get the ability to comfortably carry your weapon while retaining the much of the 3 point sling has to offer. Also if you have any chest gear it gets the strap out of the way for easier access to magazines etc.

3 points are fine, but can hamper load outs etc. The straps can hinder your gear at times especially depending how you sling your weapon in transitions. They are still great and many people prefer them over 2 points and 2 point adjustables. Its more of a opinion.

What you need to do is think about what you might have on your chest, and do some research on the two and 3 points and the various ways people set them up. Lots of youtube videos on the subject.

While people will disagree with me 1 point and standard two point slings.... Just aren't that great unless you are a hunter or in and out of vehicles.

#3 ·
Standard two-point rifle sling for me, I can wrap it up for steady shots or if I need to I can make it one point by bringing the front attachment back to the rear.

I keep it in the two-point config but when I’m shooting I usually make it a one point so I can just throw it to the side. Three points are useless for all but the most dedicated mall ninjas. in my humble opinion.

#38 ·
This except, I don't have one that short :( (yet). I do use the single point on my "XM177" and M4rgery though. 2 point on my 20" and 24".

Al

#11 ·
That is the point.

I think it depends on the rifle length. And on the situation. A single point sling generally allows a faster transfer to the secondary. But it only is useful, IMHO, when the primary is a "shorter" rifle. Another advantage is you have two hands free, immediately, when needed. With a two point sling this is also possible, but not without doing some movements. With a one point sling I let go the rifle and have two hands to use...

For "real" world (-->civil) applications (hunting) a classic two pint sling is my choice.

#10 ·
i prefer a three point sling as you can use it like a 2 pint if you want to help steady your aim or use it like a three pointer 3 nice thing bout em is if you have it on someone cant just yank it from you as its attached i would reccomend 1 points for short barreled pistol grip shotguns

#12 ·
i carry my primary witha two point sling, with my backup long gun ie doorbuster shotgun or ar pistol in a one point sling,, i have two three point slings and could never get used to them, two point sling has served a long time with no complains, im done trying to reinvent the wheel!

#13 ·
I've used a 1 point on my C-8 (M4) for 2 tours to Afghanistan and it worked OK for the few times I had it hooked to the Tac Vest. Infantry Section commander so 95% of the time outside the wire/ FOB. I started using a 2 point on a Urban Ops Instr crse and liked it because of the transition to pistol was easier and adjustability was better for whatever other kit we had on us. It was a Vickers sling and worked 100%. It depends on what your primary use will be for your set up, some slings can be 1 or 2 point with different hook ups.

#14 ·
Thanks for the replies y'all.

As I said, for now the use will be during a tactical rifle course. It will encompass a wide range of situational exercises, but mostly urban, home defense and CQB. I imagine it will be set up similarly as a gun-n-run competition course, but since I've never participated in that sport, I can't say for sure.

Of course, after the course is over, whatever I buy will be for my SHTF rifle, which will get cheers from some and jeers from others, but it's a Kel-Tec SU-16 with an 18" barrel. It's set up with after-market rails, flashlight, laser, scope, collapsible stock, vertical fore-grip etc. etc., so it's kind of a poor-man's cross between an AR-15 and an M4. I guess more like the AR with the barrel length. I will use the sling exclusively to practice the skills the course gives me to practice. Mainly target acquisition from a relaxed, non-ready position, and transitions from rifle to pistol. Practicing firing from cover and moving and firing is already a regular part of my practice.

Enjoying the replies. Keep 'em coming. I still think I wouldn't be comfortable with a single-point sling, mainly because of how and where it hangs when you let it go, but again, the whole point was to get folks' ideas on the subject so I'd still like to hear about how they work for others.

Blues

#16 ·
To be honest: with a rifle of that length (picture please, so that we can see the possibilities where to attach a sling) I would go with nothing else than a two-point-sling.

IMHO your rifle is full-sized, so you won't be satisfied having it dangle between your legs if you transfer to the secondary.

Maximum length for a rifle I would use with a one-point-sling is 24 - 30". And there it depends on where you can attach the sling...

#15 · (Edited)
I have several rifles... all have different slings on them. The rifles are also for different uses. As with anything, your equipment choice depends greatly on it's intended usage. This is as true for weapon selection as it is for slings and other accessories.

On my 16" carbine I have a single point sling. I live in an urban area, so I prefer having a sling that I can remove with a buckle, and is much easier to manage in tight spaces like vehicles due to the fact that there is more freedom of movement for the weapon. It's also much easier to transition to different shooting positions that you would encounter in urban environments - switching to weak hand, urban prone, etc. It's a MOUT sling, and is intended for that purpose. Same reason I built it with a 16" BBL. It will get replaced with a 12" BBL and a YHM can as soon as the paperwork goes through. http://www.survivalistboards.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

I also have a 20" AR15A2, and I have a three point on that one. It is NOT intended for use inside houses, vehicles, etc. It has a three point sling on it. It's mean for the woods, and open areas. It's comfortable to carry on long humps because of the width of the webbing, and the way it's slung. I'm also used to it, because this was the way my service weapon was set up, and what I trained with.

Either weapon can serve a dual use if need be, but I like having the options (and excuses to buy more guns, as always).

The only weapon I have a two point sling on is my bolt gun. It's not a primary weapon by any means, it's a niche weapon. No sense in a one point, and a three point is just too much. The thing already weighs 15 lbs. If it's not in a drag bag, it gets slung in the rear, out of the way. Only need two points for that.

#17 ·
I was holding off on posting a pic in this thread because I'm waiting for a couple of things to come in (bipod, flashlight mount and a pair of rails), but here's the basic rifle as it sits right now:

There are plenty of attach-points on the butt stock (3 on each side + 1 on the left side where the buffer tube meets the pistol grip mod on the locking ring). On the forend though, there's nothing that's specifically made for a sling swivel, though the Compact Forend mod opened up a good-sized hole where the old forend/bipod was mounted on the gas block, and I have a paracord loop there right now with a standard 2-point sling (non-tactical, not easily adjustable on the fly) attached.

The new bipod is a quick detach that will not be mounted during training except for whatever long-range exercises we do. I'll decide after the course whether it's something I'll keep on the weapon or not, but likely it will just be handy in the drag bag.

The new pair of rails will be mounted to the forend at 10 & 2. The forend only has one rail now and I'll be out of room when the flashlight mount and bipod comes in, so with two new rails, I'll have plenty of room to position the flashlight, pressure switch a sling swivel/stud (or two if it makes sense) etc. to my personal preferences. The forend and rails are approximately 6" long. My guess is that the flashlight will go on the right and that will leave the whole left side for a sling swivel/stud that has a full range of front-to-back adjustment.

I'll post more pics when the stuff all gets here, which might be today, but should be within the next day or two at the latest. Thanks for the advice y'all.

Blues

#18 ·
I use a Spec-ops Mamba sling on my AR-15. It can be configured as a 3, 2, or 1 point sling, which is why I bought it, instead of their Lonestar sling, which is just a 1 point.

Originally I set it up as a 3 point, but it got tangled up in my LBV, the strap that runs down the side of the rifle blocked quick access to the safety, and also impeded access to the bolt hold open/ close button (it could still be worked through the sling but was a pain. I ended up switching it to a 1 point.

When I carry my rifle I'm in and out of cars/vans/trucks, riding in UTV's, driving and riding on tractors, on foot. It lets me adjust the position of the rifle easily. So that it is not in the way, but readily available.

I have never nutted myself with the rifle.

#45 ·
+1 for the Magpul sling. Single point when you need it, 2 point the rest of the time, and extremely simple and quick to move between those two carry modes.

It can get a little pricey if you factor in the ASAP plate (sling attachment for the rear) and maybe an RSA (rail sling attachment) for the front connection, but it's a worthwhile system for sure. I've got two of the MS2's, and recently added the newer MS3 sling to my collection. (Newer materials, modified design to make the clips easier to work with/lock/unlock/etc.)

#23 ·
never been nutted by my single point sling. Maybe its just where I hooked the loop to, but the M4 just drops to my side every time. Even my knee is safe. I got a Lone Star last deployment because I really liked how it attached to my IOTV and the stock on my M4. I liked it so much I got one for my FS2000 and PS90 as well.

I shoot rifle right handed and pistol left handed so transitioning is silly fast for me with this setup.

#25 ·
In my 10 years of military service, I prefer the 1 point sling. I have gotten use to my M4 hanging across my body and I love being able to unclip my weapon with ease. My appeal to 1 point slings may have to do with the fact that I served in a unit that did not allow slings because soldiers had a tendency to sling them in such a way that they were not combat ready. This was pre 9/11.

#28 ·
I just got this sorted out for my AR:

http://dsgarms.com/index.cfm/product/376_45/blue-force-udc-single-point-sling-whk-hook---green.cfm

http://dsgarms.com/index.cfm/product/476_44/blue-force-short-strap-female-adapter---green.cfm

I have it as a single point on the stock loop just behind the grip, with the extra female adapter attached to the Magpul stock. I can then unhook the single point and reconfigure it to a 2-point. I attach the HK hook to the front sling swivel mount, and the other end to the female adapter on the stock.

So I can have the single-point for close-in and getting out of dodge, and then the two point for longer-term carry.

best of both worlds - and no extra parts to carry.

#29 ·
Single point

Can use with either hand while on the move
Drops to the safe SUL position

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.