Survivalist Forum banner

Hi-Point .45 ACP

8K views 36 replies 16 participants last post by  TMHonfire 
#1 ·
Is this gun any good? I saw one for $100 at my local gun dealer and that seemed quite cheap for a pistol.

#3 ·
that depends on your definition of "good".
would I bet my life on it....no.
would i take it to the range to burn ammo with.....yes, if ammo were a lot cheaper.
would it be comfortable to carry for a long time.....no.
woud it make a concealable weapon for ccw.....no.
can you get quality accessories like holsters....maybe, i've never shopped.
will it shoot a bullet....yes. 500 in a row? i'd venture to say no.

#10 ·
I hate to say it, but 100 bucks is pretty fair. Personally I hate high point. Before you buy the guy, empty a clip with cheap ammo. If it doesn't jam up, then buy it. If it jams even once, hand it back to him. I have owned 2 highpoints and I was unhappy with both. If the gun can empty the clip 3 times in a row, with no jams, then go ahead and buy it.

#12 ·

Me holding a high point 9mm years and years ago. Is that a zit? ROFL!!

#17 ·
Reviews from the dealer you bought it from? From thugs on the street?
Did you ask anyone who has actually pulled a trigger before? I don’t mean to sound like a prick but hi-points are sh*t and have always been known as such. I can say that if anyone tell me that hi-point is worth its weight then that person doesn’t know their ass from a hole in the earth and I would never ask that person for advice on anything again.

#19 ·
Many people here talk trash on the hi-point brand because it's an inexpensive firearm. My experience with them is limited to the .40 carbine and its taken everything I've thrown at it. No complaints, jams, or problems (1000+ rounds through). For what its worth thats my take on them. I can't say anything about the pistols as I've never used one before. The hardest part for you is going to be shifting through the responce posts of people who have actually used a hi-point pistol and had a problem from the masses of gun snobs who don't own one and have never even put 50 rounds through one. Good luck with that.

#20 ·
I'm going out to look at em now. Going to see if I can find a cheaper Glock to buy if not I may try my chances with the High Point .45 but I'm not sure because I've seen 50/50 positive and negative all over the internet about this gun. Sounds like you just got to get lucky

#22 ·
the way i see it not everyone can aford something like a glock there was a time that the glocks where a pipe dream to me .so i had a hi point and it worked fine ,i garenty i rather have a hi point then a sharp stick !! now all the talk about them made me make a special trip to the g store just to look at a low in gun and you know what , me being a s&w owner and a multiple glock owner it is ok , it is what works for you they have sold a lot of those guns ,they would be out of bussness it they were compleatly junk!!!

#26 ·
I don't like hi point weapons. in fact I think this is the only weapon worse than a Hi Point chambered in .45ACP:

yeah im being overly simplistic- but I'm very tired from work. *stumbles off to bed*

#28 ·
I do have a Hi Point C9 [9mm] It fires well and is durable and handles well I carry it when I do certain jobs and is a fine low cost weapon. My advise if you want one, get one and try it, if you don't like sell it to someone who will like it.
I have almost 3,000 rounds thru mine and all I needed to replace was a mag release spring when it broke about 2 years ago I called Hi Point and they sent me a new kit. I replaced it in 10 min. and it's back to work again. You get a great warrenty service with Hi Point.

#29 ·
I have a bit of experience with the turd of a pistol called the high point. The pistol though for the most part functions, but it suffers some huge flaws that just cant be overcome. Besides its hefty size, extreme weight, and junk construction there are some other reasons I will not even shoot them. The weapon uses the firing pin as the ejector, what this means is that every case be it spent or live that is removed from the chamber is being ejected by the firing pin in direct contact with the primer. IMO this is a recipe for a KaBoom, and the results of a 9mm, 40S&W, Or 45ACP going off in an open unlocked chamber could very well be life threatening. Its a just plain stupid design.

Though if you are on a budget there are plenty of combat proven weapons available on the surplus market that would provide a much better weapon.

Call me a gun snob, or what have you I don't care, but no warranty will replace a hand or provided a reliable weapon when you need it. I buy guns based on the idea that i will never need the warranty,

#30 ·
If a hundred bucks is all you can afford, then that pretty much settles it...
If you can afford more than that then there are better choices out there...
I've always felt that the argument against inexpensive guns shoud be tempered with the reasoning that not everyone has money to devote to firearms.
To some folks a hundred buck is a lot of money.
If it were a High point or nothing then I'd go with a High Point...It's better to have something than nothing at all.
On the other hand if you can afford a better firearm and yet you're buying a high point because it's cheap...I would suggest to you that the corners you cut now, later on you may wish you hadn't...
Peter

#32 ·
I own the High-Point C9 and the only reason I got it was because the bull**it said about it here. It is a cheap gun, looks funny and is heavy in your hand. I don't use it every day and I don't know if I would get a 2nd, but it is not a bad gun it has only jamed once and every time I shoot with it at the range someone ask's me why I own one. So I tell them about the forum and how very few here like the gun and that I bought to see for myself. Then I let them shoot it and most like it, but most still wont buy one. And that is cool, I did and I'm happy with the gun. I didn't see it as a waste of money. It will shoot cheap ammo and good ammo and it shoots well.
I would never give it up because it's a fun little gun and with the four clips my out of pocket cost was a little over $200.00.
I still don't take it out when I go fishing or on a hike, that's for my Glock 19 or SW M&P
All I can say is try things out for yourself, The High-Point is not a top of the line gun, but it is worth the cost.

#34 ·
I have three Coast Guard ratings and certificates so I might be qualified to determain what rates as boat anchor. In my opinion the Hi-Point is not a boat anchor. I own a C-9 and have not had a single problem with it. I have fired a few hundred rounds throught it. I admit I do no care for the blow back action as it recoil feel different from what I am used to in my other nines. There are those that preport an opinion but do not give any reason or post any facts or experience they just float in the bowl.
It would be nice if one of these "Barkerlounger Experts" would post something besides thier ill informed and unresearched opinions.

#35 ·
Calling it a boat anchor is a figure of speech. It's a way of saying I wouldn't want to have to pack a HiPoint on my hip day in and day out...There ARE better choices out there, wouldn't you agree?
I find the Hi Point to be bulky and clubby...that wasn't meant to offend anyone...thats just the way it is for me...if it helps...consider my posts as the ramblings observations of a "Barkerlounger Expert"...LOL
Peter

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.