Survivalist Forum banner

Video - Screw worm removal on human

26K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  LesPaulPlayerNY 
#1 ·
In the first video, they put duct tape over the breathing hole to kill the worm, then removed it. This is the first I have heard of using duct tape. I usually use motor oil or baby oil so the worm will come out of the hole for air.

If you need the worm removed right then, use oil or lance the hole open to get the worm out. If you can wait, use duct tape.

The two screw worms I have removed were on cats. I doubt that duct tape would have worked because of all the hair.

On both videos, the people should really be wearing surgical gloves and sterilize the tweezers before usage. Both videos, the tweezers are taken from the case and used on raw flesh. Any bacteria on the tweezers could have made the infection worse.

This videos are very graphic.

#4 ·
screw worms

A fly will lay its larvae on the skin of the victim, or the larvae can be on the persons clothes. The worm will drill into the persons skin, get between the flesh and the bone and start eating the muscle tissue. Most of the time, the worm will mature and leave the hole at one point. This leaves the victim with a rather large open hole in its flesh.

If the worm is found while it is still very small, the hole might have to be lanced open to remove the parasite.

Treat the wound with antibotic cream, cover with gauze and everything will be ok.

Around here we call them screw worms.

#8 ·
These might be bot flies. There is a whole family of screw worms, so depending on where this video was taken will help define the species. I use the term screw worm loosely - its any worm that can borrow into the flesh of a host.

A few months ago I had a cat that had a screw worm on it. I spared everyone the grossness of that video, plus the animal cruelty people might have something to say about it. The cat is all better now, just with a slight scar.

Swampman, aint seen you in a while - I really do not know if the North American screw worm is really a horse fly larvae.

#6 ·
This brings-up a painful memory from my time in Australia I was helping in a shearing shed sorting fleece and got a cut on the back of my hand. The sheep shearers kept telling me to put gasoline on my cut every night, which I thought was nuts as my cut was healing just fine. A few days latter I can feel this 'something" moving inside the back of my hand. It was a bot larva. I freaked, I had visions of the movie "Alien" in my head! The rancher's wife offered to cut my hand open but I am a control freak so I did it myself after iceing down my hand to numb it. I bled like a stuck pig but I popped the larva out and stepped on it. Apparently bots are common with sheep because of the way they graze and thier thick fleece. Shearers get the larvas all the time. I stayed away from sheep after that but still got leech bites and bacterial infections in the tropics.

#7 · (Edited)
are screw worms really horse fly maggots??? how come ive never heard of anyone around here ever getting one in em??? how in the hell do you prevent those things??? do i have to sleep ever again after watching those videos??? when i was in the 5th grade i almost lost a leg and the hospital put sterile maggots on the wound to eat the dead flesh, ive been scared to death of them ever since.................

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.