Survivalist Forum banner

Restoring dad's JC Higgins Model 66 SemiAuto - Need Help!

17K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  novakp 
#1 ·
Hey folks,

I am trying to fix my dad's old Sear & Roebuck's Model 66 Shotgun (a rebranded JC Higgins Model 66 / High Standard C-100). The gun is a semi-automatic 12 gauge shotgun. It was manufactured during the 50s and early 60s, and sold for the price of around $150-$200. Prices on a used shotgun of this make, today, are similar or cheaper. The parts diagram may be found here if anyone would be willing to give me some advice: http://gunshowonthenet.com/Gun_Manuals/Gun_Manuals2/High_Standard_C100.pdf

I am only familiar with my Remington 870 pump-action shotgun, so I'm encountering different parts and setups with this gun. I'm not exactly sure what the problems are - my dad used this to hunt for around two decades, and I took it from his house without his knowing so I could fix it as a surprise. In the past when I asked him what was wrong, he just said "some parts are broken, but I can't get it fixed because they don't make parts anymore." No more detail than that. It's not an exceptionally extravagant gun, but if it's fixed, I would be proud to have it as an heirloom.

The problem with the age of this gun is that parts are no longer being manufactured. There are some parts available on Numrich, and some actual functioning guns have been seen for sale on gunbroker.com. I have found a similar, functioning shotgun on gunbroker.com that is for sale right now with an opening bid of $90 (stock has been spraypainted black/grey and barrel has been sawed off, so I'd just be getting internal parts). I am considering buying it to use for replacement parts for this gun if necessary.

The only problem that I am aware of with this gun is a piece of metal that stops the action has broken off. In the attached pictures, "Before" and "After," I demonstrate how the action over-extends due to this missing piece. If anybody knows the name for this piece, I'd appreciate it. It appears as if my dad had welded some metal to this piece in the past but that it did not stay on. In the parts diagram which I linked earlier, I don't see this part being listed anywhere besides the diagram of the fully assembled gun... If anybody has any idea what this part is called I'd really appreciate it.

I also can't get the barrel off. I have disassembled the gun enough so that the barrel should slide off, but it seems stuck on there. With my 870 the barrel pops right off. I've done some google searches about disassembling this shotgun but not much is coming up - there was some reference about freeing pins from the barrel, but I don't see any pins.

I haven't tried shooting the gun - could be some ejector or firing pin issues. Hopefully nothing bad. I took it to a gunsmith to look at and in his brief inspection told me that the only thing he saw wrong with it was the metal piece that blocks the action was broken.

I'll keep you guys posted if I get this thing working - I have cleaned off tons of grime from some of the internals. Maybe if the piece which stops the action is fixed and the gun is cleaned it will work like new!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Hmm.. Took it out shooting tonight and it shot 9 shells just fine. I am thinking the only thing wrong with it is the forend base. Maybe with lots of shooting the bolt gets jammed? Gonna pick up a replacement firing pin and springs, they are only a few bucks. This old gun could use some love.

#5 ·
Hi Standard model 66 shotgun parts

I have this model shotgun also. My broken Part is Ref no. 54, part no.6664 slide.
I ordered the part from Stone Chimney Creek Trading Co. in mid June. So far they have not cashed my check or responded. Any other ideas on locating this part?
Looks to me like the barrel is not removable.
Swagman

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.