Survivalist Forum banner
5K views 19 replies 19 participants last post by  Scoutmaster316 
#1 ·
I've been to several websites selling long term food storage items such as MREs, 5 gal buckets of grain, and #10 cans of dehydrated foods. The sites that I go to are all sold out and on back order.

What are some of your favorite places to buy food for long term storage?

Should I buy the mylar bags to put into 5 gal buckets and then the food along with an oxygen absorber?

Last year I was like every other sheeple on the planet; oblivious to what was going on. Now it seems a veil has been lifted and I'm afraid it is too late to do anything......just a bit scared and panicking! I'm really stressing out here!

I plan to grow a garden, get some chickens and rabbits this year. I've got 10 acres. All this middle east crap and the price of oil......nervous!!

If anyone could give me sites where they buy their long term food stuff that isn't freakin' sold out and on back order....I'd appreciate it! The one site that I did order from Emergency Essentials and nearly all #10 cans and 5 gal buckets are sold out !!

Thank you!!!

See less See more
#3 ·
Most of the places are on backorder fro up to 2 months. It's all the crap with 2012 and it's only going to get longer.

What we did was buy in bulk and ordered Mylar bags and O2 absorbers.

You can also just stock up on canned stuff when it's on sale, vacuum seal food stuff. Just buy what you can.

Suzanne

#6 ·
Ditto on LDS. I just checked their online site and they have everything in stock. You can only order beans ,rice, oatmeal and wheat, but the prices are good and the service is great. Quick and free Shipping! I've also ordered their mylar bags and they are the heavy duty ones.

http://www.ldscatalog.com/webapp/wc...=10002&langId=-1&cg1=14087&cg2=&cg3=&cg4=&cg5

mredepot is good. You can sign up for their emails and they will let you know when they have an item in stock if they are out. Use code "calguns" to save 21%. The canned bacon is great!!

http://www.mredepot.com/servlet/StoreFront

Happy Shopping! :thumb:

#8 ·
Emergency Essentials is so expensive, but when your desperate... If you have the room or the know how start canning and preserving what you can on your own without buying it. I've been canning for years and recently went up on what I want for future use (meaning a bigger garden or growing some things inside ), I also started making my own spices and tomato sauce and ketchup the past couple of years. I hunt so I've been experimenting with different ways mostly old school ways of keeping meat and not just in the freezer in case the power grid goes. Just this year I started making my own cheese and wines too. That only leaves things like sugar, flour, and some of the basics which are much easier to get in touch with. Also save your dryer lint. It is a wonderful easy way to start a fire for warmth or cooking if things take a turn for the worst. Phone books, I never recycle as they will make wonderful TP some day... Hope that helps your dilemma... and you are not along, we are all scared...Good luck and stay safe.

#12 ·
Costco, BJ's, Sam's Club, Feed stores are always places that you can get bulk food locally. Army/ Navy stores or gun shows usually have MRE's. LDS canneries are good too, if they are still selling to non members. (You could always convert). Even local grocery stores can have many items that you can get cheaply. More so if you use coupons.

About the only thing I get off the internet is stuff I can't find locally, like dehydrated foods. Always check shipping charges since it can get expensive.

#19 ·
I buy canned goods and rice and flour from the grocery store. Rice and flour gets stored in the freezer.

I also have a garden, fruit trees, 4 chickens, and usually a bee hive or three (I lost my last hive to illness, and I hope to catch a swarm this year in a bait hive).

If you can find a long-term storage place, fine! Your grain will last 20 years! Though my frozen flour and rice and canned goods will last quite a bit also!

it's ALL good!:D:

#20 ·
We purchase food from Costco and a local restaurant supply store. We also know a nice local Mormon lady, and inquired about purchasing food from the LDS cannery. It turns out that it is no big deal and they do it all the time for outsiders. They are really super cheap on bulk stuff, and you volunteer a couple of hours of your time to help put it in #10 cans. The rules for the canneries are different depending on where you go; here, you have to attend with someone who is in the chuch, but you don't have to be LDS yourself. They are very down-to-earth, decent and kind people.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.