Survivalist Forum banner

Travel to a 3rd world country

7K views 43 replies 33 participants last post by  elZ 
#1 ·
Perhaps this is in the wrong category, but I don't know exactly where to place it. Mods, feel free to move me.

I am appeasing the wife's desire to see the world. As such, we are heading for a trip to the Dominican Republic.

I'm in the process of gathering what I can to keep myself safe/secure while making it through the TSA without issues as well.

Where I'm stuck-- a wallet and passport security. Are RFID readers really an issue for my passport (yes, i have a newer one with the chip)?

I'm considering getting a hidden wallet/waist strap to keep my real money/license/photocopy of passports, and keep a 'dummy' wallet in my front pocket with a little bit of cash but otherwise disposable in case of a 'stick up'.

And then there's going to the beach. What do you do with your passport? Trust the room safe? There is one available at the resort we are going to stay in for an extra cost ($30). Is it even worth buying and putting the passports in there? I feel safer with it on my person, but i also want to enjoy the water and not leave things on the beach either.

Photocopies have been made and my parents will have a copy, as well as storing them to a password protected pdf on my google drive account so they could be downloaded anywhere.

Would love to hear some suggestions and product links you guys have used in the past.

See less See more
#2 ·
Keep your passport on you unless required by law to give it over to the hotel, some countries do that. I would get an RFID blocking cover/wallet and keep the passport and most of my money and cc's around my neck and don't flash it as being there. Keep enough cash to get your excursions done with a wallet in your front pocket.

I left mine in my room when at the beach in Colombia, but it was an upscale hotel. Be mindful and don't forget to have fun. Keep US dollars as well as local currency, sometimes you can make a better deal with one or the other. Make sure any credit cards you have have been cleared by you cc company for overseas.

#4 ·
I keep my passport and certain things on me at all times when I arrive at a new place until I can get a bead on the area. Initially, if at the beach, I would have swim trunks with good secure pockets and I would have passport in a couple of ziplocks or small dry sack in pocket. Usually after a day or two I reason that the place is ok and the passport can be left hidden in the room (but not always). If things are so sketchy that I don't want to leave my stuff in my lodging, I will secure other arrangements or find another town/area to be altogether. I don't trust room safe's in the 3rd world. However, I usually don't stay in places that provide in room safe's. I prefer to hide it somewhere in the room whether a safe is provided or not.

#6 ·
I cant really speak for your specific questions, apparently I have the old outdated passports and my traveling abroad didnt include trips to the beach. But if you have the time I would consider getting a second (2 year) passport and keeping it in a safe location separate from your primary.

I spent the last two years going back and forth to eastern Africa every month and we were required to get a second passport as apparently some agents over there have a habit of taking your passport and not returning it. I doubt this will be the case in DR, never been there, but all it takes is one thief to make getting back into the states considerably more difficult.

A crew member left his 10 yr passport on the rig once by accident and since he was on the last flight off the rig there was no way to get it to him. He was fortunate enough to have his 2 yr in his bag and the Tanzanian immigration officer had quite a few extra questions on how long he had been in the country and why he didnt have an entry stamp or visa stamp but he was able to get home on time. The same may not have true had he not had the second passport, likely it would have involved at least a call to the U.S. Consulate.

For that matter, make sure you have the address and phone number to the U.S. Consulate, if something crazy happens they may be the closest thing to a friend you will find.

#9 ·
I would put your passport in the safe. I always take travelers checks even though they are a pain in the butt. Call your credit card company before you go and tell them you are going to be out of the country. Like someone else said leave the bling at home and don't take anything that you can't afford to lose. Me and the wife have been traveling to Jamaica for 25 years now sometimes for a few months and so far we've been lucky but stay vigilant. Another thing to watch out for is window fishing. If you have a window that is open they will take a pole and snag a purse or pants with money in the pocket and fish it out the window. They usually target the really drunk because they will sleep heavier. Don't walk around with more money than you are going to spend that day. Have fun.

#12 ·
Have a few hundred in cash for emergencies, try using your card mostly, although you'll find most of the 3rd world runs on cash rather than plastic. I'd get mylsef one of those traveler hidden pocket belts for passports and cash, keep it with you at all times.
In general I advice people not to go to 3rdwolrd countries, 1st world ones are nicer anyway. :D Really, if you havent done so already travel local, then travel across Europe, its safe and there sure is a lot to see. Once you've traveled around a bit go for more "exotic" places if you just have to, and when you do that dont go Indiana Jones, stick to the tour guide. You're not local and locals smell you 100 miles away. In dangerous places that not a good idea.
Other than that, enjoy! Lots of wonderful, safe places to visit.
FerFAL

#13 ·
"You'll be disappointed during your trip, and glad to be back in the USA - assuming you get back."

Damn, I would hate traveling or going on vacation with some of you. Try to at least enjoy your trip, OP. Once in a while we need to step back and breathe. Try to do a little breathing while you're there.

#18 ·
You know, I was going to let this go, but I decided to elaborate on my statement in the hope that it might just help someone out here that may not realize how good we have it here in the USA:

1987 - On the way to Honduras - landed in Belize on an intermediate stop. first thing I noticed are manned ground to air missiles at each end of the runway. What are they afraid of, and should I be afraid too? Belize is a very small country. On the approach and departure, I noticed that the only paved road I saw was from the airport to the harbor.

1987 - Upon landing in Honduras, noticed the same road thing as in Belize - only paved road was between the airport and the city of Tegucigalpa.

Stayed at the El Camino Real, since there had been an american tourist killed at the Holiday Inn the week earlier in a robbery. The top floor of the hotel was occupied by El Jefe Grande, the Honduran Army strongman of the moment. There were plain clothed and armed security at each floor elevator and you had to show your key to get off the elevator.

We were told not to walk ANYWHERE in the city - ALWAYS TAKE A CAB, preferably hire a single cab and stay with him - tip generously to keep him from "selling" you.

When we decided to go to Guatemala to speak to another person regarding the business we were there to conduct (the purchase of an Airways Calibration Aircraft) we decided to walk to the embassy (two block in the embassy district).

We walked past a number of armed Hondurans who looked at us like we would be good short range targets. We had to bribe the Guatemalan official with $20 each to get visas. We were told later that there is no visa fee.

Went to the American embassy, which was a fort. Won't go into the security details other than to say that they mired American high security prisons. One thing did stand out, 20 foot block walls encircling the back with broken bottles on the top and armed guards every 20 feet.

We noticed on our cab rides that the Army had a fool proof way to keep Bank Robberies down. In front of each bank, there was a sandbag gun emplacement with a Ma Deuce on top and two more "walkers" with FAL .308s. Robe the bank, they get you on the way out. No trial, no expense for incarceration other than expended ammo.

Lots of armed teenaged army troops on every street corner.

When we left Honduras, my "Exit fee" was $20. My partner's was $120, but he p***ed off the official (I told her she looked cute in her uniform).

1987 - Guatemala City - Manned anti aircraft guns (multiple) at each end and along side every runway. Every road into the airport had barricades and armed troops manning them.

Met with a pilot in his home - a very nice townhouse with substantial iron bars, electric gates, CCTV and walls with broken glass on the top.

1980s - Multiple trips - Mexico - Always saw armed, teenaged Federales, always paid mordida to the border officials to get into the country. This was before Zeta and MS-13 started cutting people's heads off. Didn't leave a thing in Mexico I need to go back for.

1993 - Israel - EVERYONE is carrying in Israel - except you. Had meetings with a company at the airport - took our passports before they would allow us to enter. They were bombing 60 miles North of Tel Aviv every night I was there. Security is WAY more than you expect unless you've seen it!

I managed to p*** off a senior executive of a larger Israeli company by refusing to agree to the terms they needed. He actually tole me "We're Israelis, you have to do what we want". I wouldn't do it so he had me detained by security for three hours at the airport. After extensive grilling by three separate security officers, I lost it and started dropping F bombs every other word and demanding the American Embassy be called - they smiled and handed me my passport and told me to have a nice flight - their job was done.

In summary - a few things I've learned:

Traveling is not all it's cracked up to be - my traveling companion got food poisoning in Honduras. I've had it 5 or 6 times, once from a 5 star Hotel in Montreal.

When you travel, don't expect much from the Embassy, you are pretty much on your own. If they can help at all, it will be very slow in coming, but if you d=feel you need it, start demanding it.

Keep a very low profile and don't wear or do anything that screams "I'm and American" (This won't matter because after a few minutes, anyone who you interact with will know it).

Don't do anything stupid like hiking in Afghanistan - some of these people deserve to be detained.

WW

shoot straight - stay safe

#14 ·
Keep photocopies of passport at home and in your person..Leave passport in hotel room-safe or with the front desk..Do not fret about the passport. My wife had hers stolen in Barcelona Spain (it was in her purse) and we got it replaced at the american consulate in less than 2 hours..IT is a lot safer in hotel safe than on your person...he fake wallet with a few dollars in it is a good trick but still don't carry all your $$ and credit cards on you..Again, leave 1 or 2 credit cards in your hotel safe and carry one with you....

#15 ·
First, I hope you have fun in the DR. I've never been there myself. I'm currently active duty Navy and have been to my fair share of third world areas, mainly the Middle East and eastern Africa.

1) I agree with having a dummy wallet. Keep a few small bills in there and leave it in your back pocket. Have your real wallet either in your front pocket or in your sock. I'm sure there are fancy deep carry wallets you can buy, but the sock has served me quite well over the years.

2) Kudos for having copies of everything, I do the same thing. Never had to fall back on them for any reason, but it's a wise choice.

3) Trusting the safe in the hotel? More than likely it would be fine. I agree with the comment earlier that if you don't trust the front desk, go to a different hotel. However, one option that people overlook is a magnetic stash box. You can find them all over the internet and they aren't that expensive nor will you be stopped by the TSA or whatever other three letter agency is digging into your ****. I'd put my stuff in one of those and stick it behind the refrigerator or something. Not likely anyone will find it.

4) Safety and defense. Obviously, traveling with weapons is virtually impossible, especially when you are out of the USA. One thing that me and my buddies do is carry straight razors with us on deployment. Obviously we carry real knives onboard the ship for work, but out in town we'll switch to razors due to their legal status in most places. We've yet to run into any situation where they are illegal to have and I'm pretty sure that you can carry them in your luggage on a flight, provided you have all the accouterment that goes with shaving with a straight razor. We've never had to actually USE them before, but they've saved our ass in Spain when we found ourselves cornered and outnumbered. Just flip them out and you'll have ZERO problems with people.

My two cents.

#22 ·
We went to Jamaca and we stored everything in the room safe at the resort. We carried minimal stuff with us when we ventured outside. I think the resort protected us more than the US embassy would have because they don't want to loose business by getting in the news. Armed guards patrolled the gates and the edges of the beaches.

It was an all inclusive resort and we didn't have to carry money with us. The employees are vetted by the companies, so inside the resort is safe. Outside the resort, they dealt with other companies who wanted to keep the tourism dollars heading their way.

I've been to Western Europe and would go back there. If I felt the need, there are some 3rd world countries you can reach by train. I'm larger at 6'3" and 235 lbs so I don't blend in with the locals well unless I'm in Germany, Norway, etc. In South America I blend in like a sumo wrestler in Japan.

#25 ·
If you absolutely have to wear wedding rings, get cheap stainless bands ($15-$25) and leave your real ones in the USA. If you go to Haiti, don't even wear those.

If you go to Haiti, take some relief supplies with you and donate them. Doesn't have to be much or expensive, and try to take light stuff. Tooth brushes, gauze, band aids, etc. You will help more than you will ever know. Find out before you go, which organizations are where and how to donate, and make arrangements before you leave the US. The organization will tell you what they need most. Then use the bag you took that stuff there with you to bring back any souveniers from Haiti and/or DR (or your dirty clothes). There are some very good artists in Haiti, and the bargain painting, etc. you get may well feed a family all year or keep a child(ren) in school all year, or pay for much-needed medical/dental treatment. Ensure you get a receipt for any art item and mail the item back from the consulate or embassy (call before you leave the US and find out procedures and limitations).

If your church has relief efforts in Haiti, they can also advise you.

Take an el-cheapo small digital camera to take pix. Take an extra SD card with you and copy your pix, so you have a duplicate. Keep the duplicate in the room. If the hotel has a business center, you can upload your pix to the cloud, too. Don't take your phone (theft!)

Have a great trip!

#32 ·
Good advice. I wore a cheap to me watch and had my hand out the rear window and up on the roof. Almost had my arm ripped off in an attempt to steal the watch off my wrist. We always take things down for the orphanage and extra first aid supplies and leave everything when we go home.

#26 ·
I'm considering getting a hidden wallet/waist strap to keep my real money/license/photocopy of passports, and keep a 'dummy' wallet in my front pocket with a little bit of cash but otherwise disposable in case of a 'stick up'.
You're probably more likely to be targeted by a pick pocket, so this is a good idea.

Do not access the hidden wallet/waist pouch in public. If you use a restroom to do this, make sure the stall has a closing and locking door, and be aware thieves watch for this using hidden mirrors and cameras so they know who to target. Because of this, you might need to have some money (for that day or that outing only) and a credit card in a third location...

If your wife carries a purse, or you carry a murse, it/they should have lockable zippers AND a flap that latches (locks if possible) over all of the zippers and openings. The security mesh that is sold for packs can be used inside the purse, too. This prevents someone from cutting the purse and running off with the contents. If you can find a purse with a metal cable inside the shoulder strap, this will prevent someone from cutting the strap and running off with the purse. The same precautions also apply to a fanny pack or back pack. Although the little TSA locks will slow down, but not totally thwart a pick-pocket, they will usually encourage a would-be thief to go elsewhere, unless valuables or cash have been flashed... use the little TSA locks while in transit to minimize hassles. There are also kevlar lined purses/murses.

Take either an electronic translator with at least the major spoken language loaded, or a little English-XXXX, XXXX-English dictionary, or a little Berlitz language guide with the appropriate language(s). Beware the first may draw unwanted attention from thieves :mad:

#27 ·
If they are outside of a resort his wife should not carry a purse. It isn't worth the hassle of getting assaulted (if it were to happen) for what we know will be mostly useless junk. :)

Things in your hands invite thieves and muggers to take it. Let them pass you up for the easier mark.

#28 ·
DR is a nice little place to visit. Been there.
1. As with all places that carry danger in the evening, don't go out at night. Really! Trust me on this one, esp if your not accustomed to traveling in sketchy places.
2. Do not carry allot of cash and do not wear flashy jewelry.
3. Photo copy your passport and carry that instead of the original. If you're a tourist they'll understand.
4. Do not hail a taxi off the streets instead have the hotel get you one.
5. do not drink tap water and try not to use ice, unless you have a really hard stomach.
6. Do not give money to children, you will be a beacon by others, unless you want to since they are crippled or starving.
7. Do not freak out over their lack of care for safety ie. family with infant on back of motor bike.... That's how they roll.
8. Most importantly, don't act a fool and be loud.

Safe travels to you.

#29 ·
I too, have traveled the world. I've been to some real S-holes, and some real nice places.

The S-holes outweigh the nice places, but most of the time my visits were not for pleasure, or by choice.

I'm assuming the DR is a lot like Jamaica. If you stick to the tourist areas, you'll be fine. You venture out of the tourist zones, you might as well be on the Planet of the Apes. It's dangerous, scary, and the locals don't want you there.

If you're staying at a nice hotel or resort, the room safe should be programmable to a code of your choice. Hotel management will have a key, but general staff will not. Lots of foreign countries require that you keep your passport with the front desk until checkout. This is quite common in Europe, not so much in the Caribbean. Well, it wasn't when I spent time there, over a decade ago.

RFID blockers are almost a given these days when traveling.

Blend in as much as you can, even if you can't, don't make a spectacle of yourself. Loud shirts, expensive camera equipment, oohing and ahhing over every little thing that's new and different will make you stand out. My wife is prone to this, she has no sense of situational awareness. Very childlike and innocent, and I love that about her, but it can be a drawback when traveling to some not so nice areas. Doesn't even need to be overseas or a third world country. I had to deal with her like this in downtown Philadelphia.

If asked about your nationality (people will assume you are American anyway) mimic an accent and claim to be British, Australian, Canadian, even South African. They all speak English, and all appear to be less controversial, globally, than Americans. If you study the accent and slang beforehand, it can be better employed so you're not on the spot trying to pretend being something you aren't. We were encouraged to do stuff like this when in places like Thailand. If there is a large American military presence nearby, study the GI's and try to blend in with them, even if you aren't with them. Learn how not to act as much as how to act. Learn some of the local customs and courtesies of the country you will be visiting.

#31 ·
Traveling puts living in America in clear focus.
My brother came back from a long trip across Africa. From his new perspective, everyone in the US drives late model cars, there are no flies, people have good teeth and the towns don't smell like garbage.

Maintain your situational awareness, do not drink much and trust the safe in your hotel. You will be fine.

#33 ·
Good place to go. Not as bad as everyone says
Make copies of your passport....also scan it and your credit cards and email the scanned files to yourself. Also western union a couple hundred dollars to yourself in case you need emergency cash. Western union places are everywhere. They also give the best exchange rates.
Don't take your passport to the beach. Most resorts offer a safe.
Have a throw away fake wallet when venturing out
Keep your cell phone in your pocket.
Act like you would in any U.S. Major city....like you have some street smarts
Pepper spray is legal....if you want to bring one of those small ones
Locate your cash in multiple places....pockets...shoe...etc
Have fun and don't worry so much. It's safer than most of our cities

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.