Survivalist Forum banner

Common Sense isnt... Common sense anymore. What should it be called?

3K views 19 replies 18 participants last post by  metalwolf 
#1 ·
Considering how many Darwin award candidates (thats what I call them) we have running around that would kill themselves if it wasnt for the warning labels on devices ("warning, saw contains sharp moving parts"), I am thinking that "Common Sense" needs a new name. It seems that it isnt common anymore.
What do you think it should be called? I thought of "basic knowledge." Any other ideas?

#3 ·
Uncommon sense? I do agree with you though. Common sense is very rare these days.

Reactions: Steve28 and Gardog
#19 ·
Don't come to CT; common sense is so rare here that it is viewed as volatile and dangerous, and anyone exhibiting symptoms gets targeted for quarantine in one of our fabulously-appointed incarceration facilities, or a financial cure is extracted upon them by the taxing authorities. We have come this close to wiping common sense off the face of our beloved state, and nobody exhibiting symptoms, especially if they are contagious, will be allowed to roam abroad spreading their sensible ideas and right-headed ambitions. Not here. No-siree. :(

#10 ·
There are a lot of people that are unfamiliar with the correct tool for the job, they are not stupid they are ignorant.
Some people are aware of the correct tool for the job and too cheap or lazy to get it or go after it and use it properly.
These are careless.
When we were kids in the 50s we played with hot and sharp things all the time ,you learned they hurt .
In todays litigious society people love to abuse the courts and sue for any thing for money, under the cloak of safety.
Not accepting the responsibility for their own stupidity.
We have generations of these children raised in a bubble and now just finding out the world has a lot of sharp, hot things in it and don't know how to deal with it.
Even as stupid as running a skill saw across their own legs to cut a board in their lap.
I have a friend that did that one.
Rationally challanged .
They don't think before doing things.
Adolescent fantasy is older than video games and largely because too many kids are raised by their mother , like a hen , won't let them get dirty and get a few bumps along the way.
In todays society, if kids are allowed to get into things,like we did , the parents are in trouble.
We have irresponsible older adults, that rather complain about kids not being watched, rather then simply watching after them ones self, if they are so concerned . or simply minding their own business.
Years ago my sister in law was put under fire because some one thought that because her children were so well behaved that she MUST be abusing them, and i know for a fact she was not.
Never the less we have a society bent on a different kind of abuse , kind of like common core, Kids are not encouraged to develop except the way some one else says . if you dare to do something out side "their box," it's a violation.
Kids have to be allowed to make some mistakes, that's how we learn common sense.
They should not be sheltered from hearing or seeing real life tragedy either.
Yes they can get hurt , but there are no guarantees with life .
You could be the healthiest person on earth and get hit by a car.
Children often learn when there are examples of failure in their presents , like playing with fire or getting cut , or smashed fingers, or a jolt of electricity.
Neighbor kids that did not/ were not allowed to engage with these things growing up, and were sheltered, took life for granted, and experimented with drugs and messed their lives up worse than I, because I had a greater respect for life having witnessed the frailty of it, in my family.
Common sense missing , is due to sheltering ,and preventing kids form seeing /experiencing reality.

#14 ·
I wish all people had common sense. Last weekend I took a friend fishing and dropped him off at home. I was tired and I assumed and hoped he'd be capable of getting his tackle out of my trunk without screwing anything up. So I just let him do it and stayed in the car. Boy, was I ever wrong.

I told him ahead of time that the latch is a pressure switch. You basically just touch it with your fingers and the trunk door opens up. So he gets his stuff and slams the door so hard that I thought the windows might break. Needless to say, when I got home I was not surprised to see that he had ALSO ripped the handle off the trunk and it was hanging there broken on both ends. He must've used both hands to pry it up as hard as he could, not realizing its a pressure switch and not a latch.

Common sense is being able to open doors without breaking anything, particularly when the person tells you ahead of time how to do it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.