Votes: 3 1.5%
  • No, and I live here

Votes: 48 24.2%
  • No, and I do not live there

Votes: 30 15.2%

Is USA the best country in the world

13K views 71 replies 50 participants last post by  Henrygt 
#1 ·
I often hear people, say that it is the greatest or the best country on earth. What do you think?
Also, if you feel like it, state why you think one way or another.

#2 ·
The one criteria that makes the USA the "best" ironically is its form of government that few Americans are aware of - since it was abandoned in the 1820s.

In the republican form, the people are sovereigns - until they surrender that sovereignty. Whereas in the rest of the world, people are subjects of their respective governments.
SUBJECT - One that owes allegiance to a sovereign and is governed by his laws.
...Men in free governments are subjects as well as citizens; as citizens they enjoy rights and franchises; as subjects they are bound to obey the laws. The term is little used, in this sense, in countries enjoying a republican form of government.
- - - Black's Law Dictionary, Sixth Edition, p. 1425
[Note: there is only one nation with a republican form - which is not synonymous with "republic."]
GOVERNMENT (Republican Form of Government)- One in which the powers of sovereignty are vested in the people and are exercised by the people ... directly ...
- - - Black's Law Dictionary, Sixth Edition, P. 695
Tragically, this generation will probably be the last to live under its vestiges.

#3 ·
The one criteria that makes the USA the "best" ironically is its form of government that few Americans are aware of - since it was abandoned in the 1820s.

In the republican form, the people are sovereigns - until they surrender that sovereignty. Whereas in the rest of the world, people are subjects of their respective governments.
SUBJECT - One that owes allegiance to a sovereign and is governed by his laws.
...Men in free governments are subjects as well as citizens; as citizens they enjoy rights and franchises; as subjects they are bound to obey the laws. The term is little used, in this sense, in countries enjoying a republican form of government.
- - - Black's Law Dictionary, Sixth Edition, p. 1425
[Note: there is only one nation with a republican form - which is not synonymous with "republic."]
GOVERNMENT (Republican Form of Government)- One in which the powers of sovereignty are vested in the people and are exercised by the people ... directly ...
- - - Black's Law Dictionary, Sixth Edition, P. 695
Tragically, this generation will probably be the last to live under its vestiges.
Good post. I was simply going to say that the USA was the best nation at one time and it has the potential of being the best again. Currently, the USA is hellbent on becoming embroiled with foreign affairs and creating a global, totalitarian regime. That's not in keeping with the Constitution of our land. The powers that be routinely refer the USA as a "Democracy" but that's not what America is. We're a Constitutional Republic (or we're supposed to be). There's also a move to turn the USA into a Draconian "police state" where our Constitutional rights and freedoms will be stripped from us like Lenin and Stalin did to the Russian people.

"It is our true policy to steer clear of permanent alliance with any portion of the foreign world." George Washington
"Peace, commerce, and honest friendship with all nations-entangling alliances with none." Thomas Jefferson
The story goes that as Benjamin Franklin emerged from Independence Hall at the close of the Constitutional Convention in Philadelphia on September 18, 1787, a woman asked him, “Well Doctor, what have we got, a republic or a monarchy?”.

Mr. Franklin replied, “A republic, madam – if you can keep it.
http://www.redstate.com/teresakoch/2012/05/09/a-republic-if-you-can-keep-it/

#13 ·
[1] ^^^^^So you believe that Ben Franklin was purposely misleading us when he called our nation "a Republic?"^^^^^

[2] I still believe that our nation is (was?) a Constitutional Republic.
[1] See definition for "republic" versus "republican form" - apples and oranges.

[2] The USCON promises a republican form to the STATES (and their people). The State governments and the federal government operate as constitutionally limited indirect democracies.

In the RFOG, the people directly exercise sovereignty.
In the DFOG, the whole body of citizens indirectly exercise sovereignty via representation.

#7 ·
No the U.S. is not the best country in the world. I live in Australia and I definitely do not think IT is the best country in the world either. Obviously there are developed countries such as the U.S. and Australia which are "better" than impoverished third-world countries. There are countries out there that greatly surpass the U.S. AND my country in lower taxes, better health care, lower crime rate, lower homelessness, higher employment and many other things. At the end of the day each country is just doing their own thing and trying to survive.

If you're from the U.S. don't take offense to the above as I have spent 6 months there and have enjoyed it very much, just seems like an immature school yard thing to say "my country is the best". I am the first person to talk about all the horrible things in my country which I hate and drive me crazy.

#15 ·
I believe the US is flawed, of course, but I still believe it's the best in the world. I have more opportunity here to create the life I want than anywhere else.

I see and hear many people who say the US is not the best nation, yet I rarely hear anyone give an example of which nation is the best, if not the US. Most liberals just say "Europe" as a reflex, even though we all see Europe in flames from across the Atlantic...

I always ask people who don't think the US is the best why they don't move to where they think it is the best. I know it sounds cliche', but I'm not asking with the tone of "WELL IF YOU HATE US THEN JUST GET OUT!". I'm really asking a legit question; If you think the US isn't free, if you think our economy is so terrible, if you think we are so racist and sexist and just generally intolerant and if you think somewhere else is so much better and morally superior, then why in the world would you not move there? Why wouldn't you want to? Why would you want to stay here? I have never gotten much of an answer.

#16 ·
I was born and raised here, so it is the best.
----If you make a poll worldwide with every country as an option, I am most certain that a certain percentage answer their own country, just because they were brought up there. In a worldwide poll China would probably win, since they have the most population.

It is the land of opportunity, so it is the best.
----Many nations have as much opportunity to live the life you want, and start your own ventures, as in USA.

It is the land of the free, so it is the best.
-----Many nations are as "free" as USA, Canada and basically all of Europe and many other nations.
Since the degree of freedom, largely is measured in democracy and political freedom, and you then consider what people have been presidents throughout history, you can still wonder to what degree the "freedom" works.

It is and always will be..
:rolleyes: Mr clairvoyant

Depends on where you live.
----Sure, but that also goes for Russia and China, or any other nation. There are always good places in big countries. It does not however make the country the best.

It used to be the best
----You could also argue that the Roman Empire used to be the best.. does not really matter now does it..

I have not been anywhere else.. so it is the best
----Yes, I should have added an "I do not know" option.

All right, do not take my answers too seriously, I am not bashing you or USA, I just do not think those answers are good enough to explain why it would be the best.

#20 ·
I like my particular patch of dirt and ice but if I was forced to move to another land it woud be the US. Aussies are cool, but Australia is full of poison things and the UK and Europe are filled with really, truly annoying people. And the rest of the world is a bunch of assorted crapholes. Americans, I like and share many of the same values with. Except for the Obama voters, of course. So, almost half of Americans I like and that ain't bad. :thumb:

#24 ·
I Think we once were the best, even though we engaged in some heinous things in our past, what we were was a idea, and we shed most of what we did wrong, and tried to fix what we could. The problem is our leadership is obviously for sale, and nationalism has not been their concern for a long time. I have heard that a republic can exist untill people figure out they can vote on their own entitlements, I have also heard that hitler said fascism is the marriage of the state & the corporation. Personally I am very apprehensive of the future.

#25 ·
Immigration to the US is higher than to anywhere else in the world. If you don't think it's the best, then at least admit that a S**T TON of people think it is the best.

As much as I think needs to be improved, I still have to admit that the decline of my country has touched my own life in almost unnoticeable ways. Gas prices are high. I'd say that's about the worst me and my family and friends are experiencing.

#27 ·
If I was living in the best country in the world I probably wouldn't need to be a survivalist.

I am a survivalist because I live on a dungheap of a world where pshchopaths call the shots and make life miserable for the majority of the worlds population,destroy everythingthat is good and exploit every rescource so that nothing will remain for future generations. The majority of these insane criminal psychopaths are found in places like New York, London, Frankfurt and Paris,where they manipulate and scheme to enrich themselves at the expense of their fellow man, start wars and disasters.

Now, if my perspective was that everything is ok since I benefit financially from this outrageous activity, I would be a shameful and pityful human being.

So why are you a survivalist? Because you live in the greatest country on earth?

#29 ·
I have visited at least 36 countries.

I have yet to find one I would even consider moving to. Most I visited, I wouldn't even consider visiting again.

So I guess that pretty much says it.

Of course as I write this, an anti-American, Anti-business, Marxist has been reelected as President. He has already done major damage to this country. No telling what he will manage in 4 more years. So check back in a couple of years.

#32 ·
I have visited more than 30 nations lived in 5 different countries(New Zealand, Australia, Germany, Italy and the USA) and right now I have the option of living in three of those New Zealand, Australia or the USA. I live in the USA. America is far from perfect, but there is nowhere else I would rather be.

Lets not blame the politicians entirely. We are the fools who keep voting them into office. GW Bush and now Barack Obama? Come on how many of us here voted for one of them at least once?

#33 ·
I don't think we are the best any more. I think we probably peaked somewhere in the 80's, and now we're a decent option, but probably not the best. I have problems with basic human services being delayed due to bureaucratic senselessness all the time. We also tend to spy on our people a lot, and we give a lot of lip service to our Constitution, but tear it up in practice every day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.