Survivalist Forum banner

Do I need a Hi Power Cartridge

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Uberjager 
#1 ·
I have decided to get a converted Saiga x39. I have a Mossberg 12 Gauge with a 8 round tube. I have a Taurus 24/7 40 S&W.

I am debating whether I should add a Mosin. The 7.62x39 seems like it may be a bit light for hunting, however OTH it is similar to a 30-30 round that has been used in the midwest for ages.

Any thoughts?

#3 ·
Keep in mind that the 7.62x39 has a limited range of about 150 yards before the accuracy is greatly diminished. I would recommend a Mosin Nagant for a long distance hunting/sniping weapon. Ammunition as I'm sure you're aware, is plentiful and comparatively cheap. I would also encourage you to look at the "sniper" models with scope and base already attached. This will save you from having to convert the bolt at a later date, should you want to outfit it like that in the future.

#5 ·
I made the decision to buy the Mosin, but I not sure it is necessary. Here are my thoughts:

1. I don't have a lot of money.
2. How many guns can a person carry?
3. Here in Ohio, 150-200 yard shot is a long ways.
4. I don't see the need for a sniper rifle. At what point does self defense become murder.

#6 ·
I don't mean the gun to be used as a literal Sniper rifle. What I meant was, try to get your hands on one of the Mosins used AS a sniper rifle in WWII. These come already fitted with the bent bolt, mount, and scope. Should run you between $400 and $450. On the other hand, if you're good with iron sights, stick with a $100 base model and practice your butt off at 100 yard targets!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.