Survivalist Forum banner

most common calibers for rifles and handgun

5K views 18 replies 17 participants last post by  12vman 
#1 ·
when tshtf what would be the most commn caliber ammo to have for rifle. a friend said that the .223 would be common anything else. and what about a handgun

#2 ·
My only really common ammo is 22LR for my Marlin 795, which is a great game gun. My others are Glock 19 (9mil), S&W 629, 4 inch, 44mag, AK-74 in 5.45x39, Bennilli 12 gage in 2 3/4, 3 inch, 3 1/2 inch chamber, 22mag derringer for the pocket, finally a Rossi Ranch Hand lever action pistol in 44 mag. So I guess it is up to your taste in weapons.

#4 ·
I love these threads about shtf and ammo shortage.

I guess everyone forgot about when obama got into office! Remember that ammo shortage? Hard to find ammo and sky high prices if you could find it.

I learnd a lot about what ammo will be avalible,most common what to stock up on, and what gun will be the best.

#15 ·
Using that period as an example.

Its why I got into 40sw as my primary pistol caliber. It was available. I couldnt find 45acp for more than a year. 9mm was rare and I'd find a box or two every four months or so. Never was unable to find 40sw. I started buying it simply because it was available, then dropped my 45acp's in favor of 40 glocks.

Couldnt find .223 either, but found 7.62x39 ironically lol. Also couldnt find .308 but found 30-06.

#9 ·
Why would you want to wait till TSHTF to get ammo? Get what you want or need now. Where do you plan on getting it from later? The police and military I doubt will be letting go of theirs. Barter will be small amounts, and even then I don't know to many that want to be arming possible threats. Really think you need to rethink the availability of it.

#17 ·
Check out Walmart and your local gun shops...what's a very common caliber in Maine may not be common in Oregon.

It depends what you are trying to do. I would favor softpoint bullets whatever you choose for longguns. Hunters use softpoints more than anything and definately not full-metal jacket. Why buy plinking rounds, when you can get real hunting ammo for not much more? The Service uses full metal jacket because they have too, and it feeds easier.

I reload and just keep the dies and components for my firearms I don't use as much, and ready-ammo set up for my main shooters.

I'd say for in Oregon the most common would be .223/5.56, .270, .30-06, 300WinMag, .308, and 7.62x39 for long guns. Pistol, 9mm, .38, 357mag, 40 cal, 45LC, 45ACP, and 44Mag.

It can get even more regional within a State itself. I know towns where you'd only find rounds in 22LR, 270, 30-06, and 30-30. and that'd be about it.-WW

#18 ·
Resupply post Appocolypse? 223 and 9mm. 22LR. 40, 45, 357. 308...

Resupply with illegal ban? Odd calibers. Stuff nobody buys to horde...

Hoarde now is my advice. Get up a good ''hobby closet'' with a deadbolt and solid door.

9mm works, as does 223. They are not my first choices. My hoarding rifle choice is the AK74 in 5.45x39 1080 round spam cans to store forever I'll be shooting long after my neighors will, gaurantee that!! Unless the barrel melts....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.