Survivalist Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bury an old chest type freezer for a survival food cache.

14K views 31 replies 18 participants last post by  John Rambo 
#1 ·
A friend of mine owns a singlewide trailer, but rents the land it sits on. He said he wished he had a basement for survival food storage. He told me he was kicking around the idea of burying an old chest type freezer. He said it would still be a big hole to dig. I thought this might be a good idea. Maybe add latches and locks. Silicone the vents on the inside of the freezer. A freezer with a good gasket would be sealed wouldn't it? Of course I would probably only store canned food in it.

Anyway, I was wandering if anyone else had done this? Is it a good idea? What would be the best way to keep the freezer from corroding in the ground?

#6 ·
I have one buried in my yard for 4 years now. It was about 20+ years old when I buried it. So far it's been fine, no holes, no dirt in it, no varmints. As soon as the snow melts, I'll check it again. It's a constant temperature, nothing shows any signs of cold damage. And if it does rust thru, people are always giving them away on Craigslist so send this one to the junk pile and get a replacement.

It wasn't hard to dig a hole, just think of it as practice burying the bodies later. :)

#7 ·
I'm sure it would rust through eventually, how fast "eventually" comes probably depends on your climate.

Most freezers are metal on the outside, plastic on the inside, so even after severe rusting, chances are the stuff inside would still be OK. It would last for years probably, but not decades.

I think Optimist has a better idea -- couple of marine coolers would be better, less work, and probably cheaper :) Just don't bury them too deep, I doubt they would hold up under the pressure of much more than 3-4 feet of dirt on top.

#9 · (Edited)
plastic septic tank $$$.... old freezer from the appliance repair center with freon removed is sold for scrap after being pumped out.
the appliance center may even give it to you for free or 20$ ,the inner liner is easy to water proof and like all plastics will not decompose for a long long time if kept out of the sun. i would give this type of set up a 10 to 20 year life span if
left undisturbed. if used sparingly and carefully you should be able to get at least 5-7 years.

#10 ·
I dont think itl be a good idea we found several fridges like that buried bout 5ft deep loaded with weapons and munitions I would recomend using pvc and use pvc cement to make it one homoginus piece if someone busts out a dog theyl find your fridge if its at least 5fnt deep so to hide youd need it to be real deep not sure how deep that is but deeper than 5ft below ground

#13 ·
What about the water/fertilizer tanks at tractor supply with a top hole large enough for you to fit through.
Sounds like that would work well... but put boards over the top of it, sunk into the ground on either side. That will help hold the weight of dirt on the top.
The only thing I can think of that might cause problems there is tree roots, which might be able to crack the plastic after it has become old.

if someone busts out a dog theyl find your fridge
Bury the real cache 4ft deep (and tamp down the ground well), then bury a small dummy cache only 1ft deep.
Anybody looking for it will probably stop digging when they find the dummy cache.

#17 ·
If you really want to bury something correctly establish your own family cemetery, one of the graves should be used as a storage.

burial vaults are very tough and long lasting.

just a thought.

Reactions: Optimist
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.