another lesson learned, calcium hypochlorite - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Food and water Discussion on food and water storage, water purification and related topics.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
lesson learned, calcium hypochlorite FrakkingToaster Food and water 108 03-26-2017 02:45 AM
Storing Storing Calcium Hypochlorite with ammo David T. Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 3 02-17-2017 12:19 PM
What I learned About Chainsaw Safety AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 02-11-2017 12:30 PM
Water, Lesson Learned jmanatee Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 17 02-02-2017 10:09 PM

Old 03-20-2017, 02:46 PM
Hiker

Default another lesson learned, calcium hypochlorite

Advertise Here

I've been checking on this bucket for about the last 4 years. Today I opened it up to find the paper, instruction paperwork and candle filter boxes, deteriorating. I've had this stored in a room that has been anywhere from 65 to 72 degrees with the top just sitting on the bucket, not sealed down. The coffee filters (still in original plastic), the spigots, and the ceramic filters still appear to be in good shape.

I am going to take Zeke's advise and use a PVC pipe to put the calcium hypochlorite in and take it out of the peanut butter jars it has been stored in. I need to get some glue for the PVC pipe. I have some but it has gotten old and no good now.

I am planning on mounting the pipe after it is sealed up on the underside of my wood shed where it will be out of the house and out of the rain. I think once it is sealed up outside moisture should not be a problem. Not sure about temperature changes being out side.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1241.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	196362   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1242.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	196370  
The Following User Says Thank You to JimET For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2017, 04:04 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 35,524 Times in 13,308 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimET View Post
I've been checking on this bucket for about the last 4 years. Today I opened it up to find the paper, instruction paperwork and candle filter boxes, deteriorating. I've had this stored in a room that has been anywhere from 65 to 72 degrees with the top just sitting on the bucket, not sealed down. The coffee filters (still in original plastic), the spigots, and the ceramic filters still appear to be in good shape.

I am going to take Zeke's advise and use a PVC pipe to put the calcium hypochlorite in and take it out of the peanut butter jars it has been stored in. I need to get some glue for the PVC pipe. I have some but it has gotten old and no good now.

I am planning on mounting the pipe after it is sealed up on the underside of my wood shed where it will be out of the house and out of the rain. I think once it is sealed up outside moisture should not be a problem. Not sure about temperature changes being out side.
Good idea. Did you catch my recommendations on special gluing?

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
The Following User Says Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2017, 05:36 PM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamZeke View Post
Good idea. Did you catch my recommendations on special gluing?
Yes. If I remember right it was to glue the pipe only so no glue is pushed into the interior of the tube when the ends are pushed onto the pipe. Also if I remember right to use teflon tape on the threads.
The Following User Says Thank You to JimET For This Useful Post:

Old 03-20-2017, 05:44 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Yes. If I remember right it was to glue the pipe only so no glue is pushed into the interior of the tube when the ends are pushed onto the pipe. Also if I remember right to use teflon tape on the threads.
First is to ignore the liquid primer. Sand with 200 grit on all glued surfaces instead. Bit of a pain but that primer might be reactive since it is a hydrocarbon and chlorine reacts with it. Sanding serves the same function, just to knock the gloss off so the glue can do it's job right.

Right about glue only put on the pipe. Any excess will get pushed out on the outside not inside. Once you apply the glue and slide the threaded adapter or solid cap be sure to twist it a bit while still wet so the glue gets spread and bonds well.

Then let it outgas outside a few days before filling. You want all those glue VOC's to dissipate.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2017, 02:56 PM
Hiker

I made a PVC pipe and put the calcium hypochlorite in it and then made a box and put the PVC tube in it. Then I hung it up under the shed. I made the box to keep the calcium hypochlorite in the dark.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1264.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	197594   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1266.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	197602  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JimET For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2017, 03:25 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
I made a PVC pipe and put the calcium hypochlorite in it and then made a box and put the PVC tube in it. Then I hung it up under the shed. I made the box to keep the calcium hypochlorite in the dark.
Looks good.

Old 04-04-2017, 05:39 PM
Dismember

Thanked 2,665 Times in 679 Posts

I packaged correctly and buried mine.

Call me paranoid.
The Following User Says Thank You to woozy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2017, 06:16 PM
Awaiting ***** suspension

Thanked 13,671 Times in 4,703 Posts

for newbies...

i strongly recommend that you do not buy hypochlorite. It has the potential to be extremely dangerous. Start off with water storage and water filters.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LordOpie For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2017, 06:42 PM
Survivor

Thanked 15,576 Times in 5,695 Posts

Quote:

You did all that to store it for best case a couple years, then have to open it up and replace it? Nope, not me, I ditched the stuff after I learned my lesson, no need to repeat stupid twice.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:09 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panoz77 View Post
You did all that to store it for best case a couple years, then have to open it up and replace it? Nope, not me, I ditched the stuff after I learned my lesson, no need to repeat stupid twice.
In all fairness, the complicated work is done on his rig.

Several years from now he just needs to fetch the tube, dump the contents safely, and drop a fresh 10 bucks into it.

10 bucks and a 10 minute drive time to the pool supply store isn't exactly onerous.