Survivalist Forum banner

Springfield XD or Glock

• Springfield XD

Votes: 38 52.1%
  • Glock

Votes: 35 47.9%

Springfield XD or Glock, which do you prefer?

31K views 55 replies 39 participants last post by  sarco2000 
#1 ·
Springfield XD or the Glock, and if you don't mind, post why. Thanks.

#3 ·
I have both a Glock 19 and an XDs 9mm (close enough?) and the only thing that REALLY stands out is the stock sights on the Glock are crap compared to the stock sights on the XDs. Other than that they are both great... Seriously can't go wrong.

One nice feature of the XD is the dual tactile breach indicators, though the Glock has one similar.

#5 ·
I couldn't vote. It would be like trying to decide which of my children was my favorite. I have an XD 40 and a Glock 27, and they're both fine weapons in their own way. The little Glock rides comfortably beside me, and the XD is close at hand at home. For punching holes in paper at the range, the XD would be my first choice, but for all-day comfort, the Glock wins.

#38 ·
If the trigger is forward on a Glock, it's cocked.

I prefer the Glock. The slide of the XD is tall enough to make it feel top heavy to me. XD's also have the worst trigger I've ever felt. Glock's triggers always felt like dart guns to me, but the XD feels like I'm squeezing a bundle of wet noodles inside of a condom.

#9 ·
The difference is in preference as neither gun is perfect IMHO . I do like both but each as their flaws as well as their merits. The Glock is really a simple gun to clean and with no safety other then the trigger means that if you do not have good trigger discipline you will shoot yourself or have an ND . The XD is geared to those who are 1911 fans at heart with the grip safety ,and the trigger safety that puts emphasis on having correct fundamentals when having to fire. Both pistols shine in reliability and it is going to boil down to preference. With that being said a Glock is almost idiot proof in that it will go bang as long as there is ammo in the gun. The XD on the other hand with the grip safety having to be depressed would make the gun a little more complex to use . In reality they are two completely different pistols for two different applications . The XD I find is more or less a designed concealed carry peace where the Glock is more of an open carry pistol requiring a retention holster . I for one would not want to carry a Glock with one in the chamber IWB with a holster with no retention .

#10 ·
Glock. I have one experience with an XD45 and it was not good. The gun wasn't the problem, the magazines were. The magazine kept failing to feed the ammo and the ammo would bind in the magazine. The problem was the same thing occurred with 3 or 4 different mags. All of the magazines and I know they were purchased at different times. This was with FMJ, JHP, and Reloads. The gun would not get through one mag without a problem. I know that this gun had at least 2K which is more than most shooters will ever put through a gun but I still consider it unacceptable.

My Glock has been 100% as have many others. I can take the whole gun down and get any part I want for it from multiple local and online sources. The parts are cheap. Mags are cheap and easy to find. It is easy for me to add parts to it. The G19 is the perfect carry gun. I have Walther PPQ which I like much better and it is more comparable to the XD9 size wise, but the G19 conceals so much better even though it is only slightly smaller. If there are things you don't like more than likely there is a cheap and easily installable part to remedy it. The stock sights on both pistols need to be replaced.

I know there are a few agencies that have adopted the XD but more by far have adapted Walthers, HKs, SWs, Glocks and even certain runs of 1911s than the XD. This is in the past ten years. That should say something about long term reliability. No serious agency has adapted the XD.

Something about the XD that bugs me is that they used to go for 2-300 dollars and then springfield started importing them with a better finish and they now cost more than glocks. They are the one gun that could make the glock look pretty. The XDm and XDs is another story.

The XD was the niche pistol for a while that people who didn't want a glock but wanted a polymer gun would buy. Now there are a lot more options. Take a look at the SW M&P.

#12 ·
I vote Glock. XD has the dumb back strap safety "feature" that is just one more thing to fail. Glock is a bare bones, no gimmicks, bang accurately every time firearm. Runs dirty, runs dry, all kinds of aftermarket for it.

If it was me, I'd pick up a Glock 19 Gen 4 (better grip texture and size) and call it a day. Probably the best overall handgun ever made.

#13 ·
Both are great guns, but I prefer the springfield. I own a xd 9 and trust it with my life. Yes they are heavier but for many reasons. They are thicker and have a metal guide rod and metal sites. Glocks have plastic guide rods and plastic sites. The xd has a better trigger and it has conventional rifling for reloads. We all know what happens when glocks shoot reloads. Glock goes kaboom!

#16 ·
Both are great guns, but I prefer the springfield. I own a xd 9 and trust it with my life. Yes they are heavier but for many reasons. They are thicker and have a metal guide rod and metal sites. Glocks have plastic guide rods and plastic sites. The xd has a better trigger and it has conventional rifling for reloads. We all know what happens when glocks shoot reloads. Glock goes kaboom!
Yeah, of course. Like this one? Oh, wait...

I have THOUSANDS upon THOUSANDS of reloads through my Glock's, and somehow have never managed to have a KB yet. How about we have an adult discussion and admit that they are both fine weapons? I'm a Glock fan, but I have sufficient firearms knowledge to know the XD is a good gun, and the decency to admit it publicly...

#14 ·
I own both. (Let me caveat my answer by noting that I'm referring to "for SHTF applications", rather than hunting, home defense, concealed carry, my wife, etc. etc. My vote is based on which pistol is better for SHTF environments.....)

My vote goes to Glock. It isn't even close.

1. My Glock feeds literally anything I feed it. Anything. (Including reloads.) It goes bang everytime. It is dead nuts reliable. My XDs is more finicky. It likes some ammunition better than others, and it has failed to feed with more than one type of ammunition (although this may be due to other factors - still, in terms of overall reliability my XD is not as reliable as my Glock).

2. My Glock holds 14 rounds. My XDs only holds 7 or 8 depending. (Yes, there is a high-capacity XD - so this point is not as germane as the others. Still, I'm talking about the specific SA XDs pistol I own.)

3. Aside from the reliability with whatever ammunition I have available, probably the second biggest benefit for Zombieland is magazine availability - Glock offers high capacity magazines that hold 23 rounds of .40 S&W or 30 rounds of 9mm. To the best of my knowledge, these longer extended magazines are not available for SA XD pistols. Given a scenario where you may be facing multiple adversaries over protracted periods of time, I'd rather have the option of using the extended high-capacity magazines.

4. Finally, there is one benefit to the Glock which MAY also exist for the XD, but if it does I'm not aware of it. If you purchase a Glock Model 22 in .40 S&W you can also purchase drop-in barrels for calibers 9mm and .357 Sig. These drop-in barrels convert your Glock 22 to either 9mm or .357 Sig using everything else the same: same holster, same magazines and magazine pouch, etc. This ability - especially in an environment where you may be forced to scrounge for ammunition and use whatever you find - is a huge benefit (again *for a SHTF environment*, not a normal everyday environment) because it allows you to fire any of three different calibers through the same pistol.

If Springfield Armory XD offers this feature I'm not aware of it.

All things considered, for selecting a SHTF pistol (only) I'm much more inclined to go with a Glock than an XD.

Just MHO after owning both pistols. YMMV.

#18 ·
I need no such explanation. Virtually all firearms manufacturer's forbid the use of reloaded ammunition period, because we live in an age where people can sue McDonald's because hot coffee can cause burns. In fact, from page 9 of the Springfield Armory XD manual: Old or reloaded ammunition may cause damage to the firearm and/or injure you or others. Use only clean, dry, original, high-quality, commercially manufactured ammunition. Using reloaded ammunition may void the warranty.

Just because so-called expert on such and such forum says Glock's can't shoot lead, or reloads, or darts doesn't make it true. I not only shoot my reloads, but I shoot my cast lead bullets through my polygonal rifled barrels. Don't believe everything you read on the internet. The "kaboom" phenomena is not a Glock phenomena. It is a poor reload phenomena. .40 SW and 10mm are VERY high pressure cartridges. This is why you don't find +P loads for them. Because the standard loads are already near-max loads. If you reload .40 SW in fatigued brass, you can blow up a gun. If your powder measure is off a hair, you can blow a gun up. If you repeatedly chamber and chamber and chamber the same round, causing set-back and compression of the charge, you can blow up a gun. Why does it seem so disproportionately a Glock phenomena? Because Glock was one of the first manufacturer to chamber a pistol in .40 SW, so they've been on the market longer than just about anyone else. Glock sells more .40 caliber pistols than any other manufacturer. So, obviously, you're going to see more Glock's KB when someone puts a ****ty round of ammo in it. How many major armed forces or PDs carry XDs?

I'm am so beyond playing the Glock versus ______ game. Got my fill for one day... :thumb:

#20 ·
Glock is the king of marketing, no doubt. As far how many police departments have xd's? I have no clue how many departments own either. Plastic pistols are have take the market by storm. Glock was the first. Springfields cost more because they cost more to manufacture. A little more metal and lot less plastic. Plastic pistols are popular because they are lighter, reliable and cost less to manufacture.

#22 ·
To date, Glock holds 65%-70% of the US LE market, depending on the source. Additionally, Glock makes up most of the military market (OCONUS), and an enormous chunk of the civilian market across the world. Glock Inc. is a marketing phenomenon. But, that doesn't account for all of their success. They build a good pistol, that is reliable in all environments and can be had for a reasonable price. Outside of Glock's domination of the market, Smith & Wesson is moving up fast with their M&P line. The XD, to the best of my knowledge, is not carried by ANY major world military, and no major police departments. If someone could update me on this, I'd appreciate it, because it's been a while since I researched this. OK, bed time...

Reactions: Glock19 RTF
#23 ·
I too am an XD fan, I prefer it's feel, sights and trigger.
It's just a more natural shooter for me.

But I hate these; my guns great and your gun sucks discussions.

As far as I'm concerned Glocks are great Handguns and if that is your preference I'm just glad you have something that works well for you and you are proficient with it.

I do believe that is far more important than these silly gun wars.

Be Prepared, :)
OBW

#25 ·
Glock's are fine,and dandy weapon's.
That being said.I prefer the grip angle of the XD.It shoots better for me.
I haven't owned either,but have shot both extensively that friends of mine own.
With the bone stock V-10,XD-9 that a friend has.The first time I picked it up,I was able to toss a beer can and keep it airborne till the mag was empty.This is without one miss,and out to about 25yrds.
I've never shot more accurate with any other pistol before or since,and I've shot many.
That makes it the the best for ME.
What's best for me,can or will be different for others.
It's all about preference.
Matt

#26 ·
Glock's are fine,and dandy weapon's.
That being said.I prefer the grip angle of the XD.It shoots better for me.
I haven't owned either,but have shot both extensively that friends of mine own.
With the bone stock V-10,XD-9 that a friend has.The first time I picked it up,I was able to toss a beer can and keep it airborne till the mag was empty.This is without one miss,and out to about 25yrds.
I've never shot more accurate with any other pistol before or since,and I've shot many.
That makes it the the best for ME.
What's best for me,can or will be different for others.
It's all about preference.
Matt
HOLY CRAP!!! You should be an exhibition shooter!!! Come on... :rolleyes:

#28 ·
I have a Springfield XD 45 tactical. A couple of years ago went to my LGS to buy Glock because I was told that's what everybody has. After fondling the Glock, I didn't like the trigger, and it did not fit right in my hand. Also the Springfield has a natural point to it.

#31 ·
Another thing to consider between the two: I believe you can find some Glocks that are made in the US (Georgia) while XDs are made in Croatia. I have not looked at any pistols since my state went full left wing anti 2nd Amendment so perhaps some one will correct me on this.

Just thought I would mention this after seeing how many voted for the Springfield. These are both fine guns but the Glock has some of the same types of advantages a Nova would have over a Falcon, namely cheaper add on parts. But again I may not be current in my info.

#33 ·
Glock v Springer? I own a Glock 21. I'll never buy another on account of the lack of safety. My first impulse was to get the Springer but I got the Glock cuz it was there and lightly used for a good price. BUT now Ive either got to get rid of it, (probably for a loss) or invest $150 bucks for a safety installation.:xeye: So far Ive done neither and it sits by my bed cuz I don't like carrying it with no safety- just not safe. YMMV.

#35 ·
Shooter train thyself, or preferably seek professional training. From that comes confidence in your weapon, and it's internal safeties. Revolvers also have no external safety. It's simply a matter of discipline and training yourself to keep your finger OFF the trigger. Keep in mind, every day the majority of LE officers around the country, and a HUGE segment of the private owner market carry the gun in its fully loaded configuration, with a round IN the chamber. When I was in the military, the standard load configuration for the Beretta was full mag in, round in chamber and safety OFF. This is how we carried the weapon every day in our holsters. And somehow there isn't a bloodbath... :thumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.