Survivalist Forum banner
25K views 30 replies 18 participants last post by  Vergeltung 
#1 ·
I've been stuck deciding between purchasing a WASR 10 or a MAK 90. My main concern is that the MAK 90 I'm looking at is used and I don't really like buying used firearms. My concern with the WASR 10 is that well...its a WASR. I've heard both ends of the spectrum about WASR's and I just cant figure out which one to get. Im in NY and the price for the WASR 10 (New) was about $550 and the MAK 90 (Used) was $600-$650. I forgot the exact price on the MAK 90. From what I've read about them, the MAK 90 is better than the WASR. But as stated before, its used. Any feedback is welcome. Thanks :thumb:

#13 ·
I am not sure where you are getting that from, the WASR's imported were made with new parts. They are a low capacity version of the SAR's. They are imported then hacked up here, they normally arent used or demilled parts kit guns. This is how most WASR's were, various calibers but lacking the banned features.

http://www.centuryarms.biz/proddetail.asp?prod=RI1165-N

There has been alot of parts and used guns thrown around, but if you still are looking for a WASR you can find them made with new parts. There are still the low capacity versions floating around states with bans.

The problem is someone cuts the mag well out to accept high capacity mags, then throws a gun back together sometimes using crappy non matching parts or doing a poor job of it. In the least they use US parts, to be within the import laws. If you really want a WASR I would get it from Century Arms, which is scary because like I said they are known for some questionable work. But if you dont chances are it could have been hacked up by someone in their garage.

Century Arms puts them out with new parts, when the ban lifted they started assembling a mixture of hacked WASR receivers and threaded barrels with bayonet lugs. Technically they are new parts but legally they are not new guns. Some I have shot were not too bad at all, but others make me laugh. Its really hit or miss with them from what I have seen, no way I would buy one without a very close inspection.

#9 ·
WASR's are built for export. They are not Milspec, the parts are not built to tolerance, many are not of the quality used in military weapons. Compare a rifle built from a Romanian "G" kit, a milspec weapon, to a WASR and you will see a difference.

The actual building of the WASR's also leaves a lot to be desired.

That said, many of them work fine.

A MAK90 is simply a ban-era version of the earlier Norinco imports which were essentially semiauto versions of the Chinese AKM. They added POA stocks, milled off bayonet lugs, ground off barrel threads to make them ban compliant.

MAK90 parts are much more in tolerance, thicker receivers, better FCG's, better fit.

MAK90's also have a proven track record, 15 years and still counting.

#10 ·
The WASR was also designed to use a single stack magazine. They have been cut out to fit high capacity magazines. The mag well is often out of specs and mags are loose, not all are bad, just be sure to check it out if you buy one. They were mostly built by Century Arms, which is known for its hack jobs..

I would say go for the Chinese.

#14 · (Edited)
MJ, seriously... I know you are 18 and think you know everything because of the Sea Cadets, but it is widely known across the net about the WASR's. I had a "brand new" one from century still with the bar code on it and it had bolt carrier wear.

Have you ever even owned one? Or any AK for that matter?

#17 ·
If you have one made from a parts kit thats great, what I am saying is you can buy one with new parts from Century Arms.

And yes I have a Century Arms SAR-1 and a Norinco AK that has a Saiga style grip and 20in barrel, imported by Interstate Arms. What does that have to do with the question at hand?

Also I am 29, your personal attacks are quite funny though.

#15 ·
OK it seems the MAK 90 wins hands down. I know this is probably a stupid question but is there any way of getting a new MAK 90? I may just settle with a used one but if I can find a new AK within the same price range I know It would be hard for me not to think twice about a used one. I was looking at a new Lancaster AK a few weeks ago and they wanted just under $1000 for it. So I guess the choice has been made for me. MAK 90 it is.

#16 ·
They were imported after the 89 import ban, hence the 90 for 1990 when they started being imported with importation ending in 1994. It is possible to find one that was never taken out of the box but that will be very expensive. I am sure that it wouldn't be all shot out but if it is a POS then rethink but I am thinking it is the smarter buy. The Mak-90 will also go for a higher premium if you ever want to get rid of it in the future.

If you are not going to buy it would you mind PM'n me with the name of the store and city that is selling this MAK as I would snag it up in a heart beat.

#19 ·
how used is the MAK-90 if it only has around 1000 round shot out of it be glad its just been broken in and you didnt have to spend the cash on ammo to get it broken in :thumb: now all you got to do is see what ammo the weapon like best and then you'll be in business. i would take the MAK-90 hands down unless it has been abused left in the rain and is completely rusted inside and out then i would have to think about it over a wasr

yes my friend bought a unfired MAK-90 milled at last years spring tulsa gunshow for $700

http://www.tulsaarmsshow.com/frames.html

#20 ·
If you have a chance to get the MAK 90 for that price - great! For others who are looking for an entry AK the WASR is not a bad choice as long as you can inspect it first.

The WASR-10/63 I bought in 2007 was brand new and with matching numbers except for the US parts. The mag well wasn't done too bad and mags don't wobble that much. Sure, it's a rough looking military style rifle but never has given me any problem. I'm happy with it and haven't bothered to upgrade it except for more comblock mags and replace the ratty leather sling that came with it with a green Romanian version.

I have to say this WASR was a pleasant surprise.

#23 ·
Ditto. I've dealt with them several times, and just ordered another from them last week (maybe here tomorrow ??:thumb: ) I got a humble,much maligned WASR because I have nice rifles, and I just wanted another rifle mainly as an investment, but also a beater/loaner. What I DIDN'T want was to spend another $130+ on a "nicer" rifle, that I'd really like and therefore really hate to give up, and probably wouldn't yield any more money in a ban-panic or SHTF scenario.
I figure anyone that would turn their nose up,post SHTF, at a lowly WASR, is someone that understands the issues, and therefore,is likely already satisfactorilly armed. Not the market I'm after. I'm thinking about the yuppie-morons that wait till EVERYONE is frantically looking for one, and won't know a WASR from a pre-ban Polytech. Follow my reasoning?
I sold a WASR months back for a staggering $750, and it was a reliable, dead-on accurate shooter, with a G2 trigger. Can't ask for much more in an AK,right ?
Anyway, I'll do a re-finish job on the furniture, and along with the case,bayonet, and extra mags it comes with,and if the time comes, it'll sell like hotcakes. OK......hotcake. :D:

#24 ·
I'm going to chime in w/ the MAK90 is better than the WASR crowd.

That said and given the price range you're looking it, you might be able to find one of
the more recent Yugo rebuilds. The barrels aren't chrome-lined, but are US-made and
as accurate as the MAK90. If you plan on shooting wolf then you'll be using non-cor
primers anyway.

As said previously all the MAK90s came in as new. It's a complete crapshoot on
quality w/ the WASRs.

A good way to tell actual wear past looking at the crown (and proper cleaning by past
owners) is to take out the gas piston and gas tube and check for wear/rust/pitting
on those parts. Does the gas tube look like a Roman sewer pipe on the inside?

The chrome lining on chinese also seems "tougher" in my opinion.

#25 ·
I prefer MAK-90's.

That price is high, for my area, but then again that can be a regoinal thing.I'd never pay over $500 for a stamped reciever MAK-90 here. And I just missed a like NIB one for $380, dang it!

Now in NY that might be a different story.

Now as to wear, I doubt it wil be shot out. At the worse it may have a worn out recoil spring which can be replaced easy enough.

While some may cry and moan about the thicker reciever and barrel it's a plus to me in it having a potential to be more accurate. Less chance for inconsistant barrel vibrations during firing cycles. Plus, most after market stocks and handguards will need to be fitted, again if you take the time things will be tighter with less slop.

#26 ·
MK that is actually a steal in Upstate NY, not that you can own one of these down state. A good MAK-90 will be marked between 500-900+ at any gun store. There are far and few between and they are extremely rare in NY gun shops. Pretty much the only option for an AK in NY is a Saiga or a WASR. The other models only show up on shelves when someone sells off or trades. I just recently saw a Maadi for sale, not a bad price and it is pre-ban but it looks like it has seen better times.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.