Survivalist Forum banner

Does Potting Soil Expire?

27K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  IceFire 
#1 ·
I purchased 10 bags of potting soil today (on clearance so I can't return it) from the Chinese Embassy (Walmart). I only needed 2 (lowering head in shame).

What are my chances of this being usable in the spring if stored behind the shed this winter?

#5 ·
Just keep them dry and no worries. It'll last pretty much forever. I stumbled across some bags of potting soil in the back of the shed that had been there since the late 70's or early 80's. I used them last summer to grow all sorts of potted herbs and they did spectacularly.

#10 ·
No, potting soil doesn't expire. You said you were planning on using the remainder in sprng...That will be fine. If you are worried about any nutrient loss, you can always mix in some compost with it when you go to use it. I'd do that anyway...compost builds soil structure and helps balance water requirements as well as providing nutrients for your plants.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.