Survivalist Forum banner

Planting Pinto Beans

5K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  dizzylizzy 
#1 ·
I went through a local nursery one of the largest in the area and couldn't find any seeds or sets or anyone who knew how to do it. Now I am in the Pacific N.W. and pinto beans aren't a staple, but I have read online that pinto beans can be grown in the shade. Does anyone know how to start this crop and will they grow in a milder climate. Thanks for your help

#6 ·
Several years ago, we had ferrets. We bought a 100# of pinto beans for them to dig and play in. Well, when the ferrets went, we didn't know what to do with the pinto beans. We just threw them on the side of the house and ignored them. Most sprouted! We didn't even bother soaking them. So, like others said, grocery store beans will work. I don't know if they're hybrid or not, but you'll get at least one season out of them.

#10 ·
Not to be rude but... ask any second grader. They regularly grow them for their Spring science project.

In my zone, full sun means don't dare put it in full sun or it will die. Most of my garden is at least partial shade because summers in Oklahoma get HOT. The only thing I am growing full sun here is potatoes, corn, squashes, and some green beans and heat tolerant pea plants.

Anywhere that gets at least 6 hours of sun a day can be considered full sun for most plants.

#11 ·
Thanks, I may just try and see what happens, I live in the pacific NW and pinto beans are not a well know crop really glad elementary school kids can do it cause it means maybe I can, at this point I am a really new gardener. have only grown tomatoes in the past. Thanks again for the help everyone

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.