Survivalist Forum banner

Blackfeather "RS"

52K views 87 replies 17 participants last post by  H2OMAN 
#1 ·
This is for those of you wanting something different for your M14/M1A rifle.

Our Canadian neighbors to the North have come up with some rather nice products for the M14/M1A owners.
These items can be imported into the USA, contact the manufacturer (M14.CA) for details.

I received the Blackfeather "RS" several months ago and decided my CQB-16 type SEI rifle was the best fit for what I had in mind.

Installation was easy, but I did rely on the folks at Accurate Ordnance to fit the proprietary op rod guide to the SEI barrel.
The kit does include what you need to do this yourself.

Once the rifle was installed I realized that I could not get my face low enough to use the iron sights.
This is my only gripe, but no worries because there are red dots that are incredibly reliable.
NOTE: the "RS" was designed with optics in mind and it's an excellent platform for glass.
That said - I am working on a fix that will allow me to use the irons in the future.

Additional pictures and information

I tried a few different EOTech and Aimpoint sights and scope mounts,
but I wasn't totally satisfied until M14.CA released their new Scout Hand Guard.
The SHG sits as low as and is lighter than the M8 from UltiMAK... Standard weight barrels ONLY.

The SHG enabled me to mount the Comp M4 low and out front in proper scout fashion.
I have a new 2.5-8 scout scope on the way for this rifle.

Weight: Remove the Aimpoint Comp M4 and these two M14s weigh exactly the same.

Accuracy: My CQB-16 type SEI is just as accurate in the "RS" as it was in an "EBR".

I have no financial interest in M14.CA

See less See more
#8 ·
H2OMAN
Once the rifle was installed I realized that I could not get my face low enough to use the iron sights.
This is my only gripe, but no worries because there are red dots that are incredibly reliable.
NOTE: the "RS" was designed with optics in mind and it's an excellent platform for glass.
That said - I am working on a fix that will allow me to use the irons in the future.

The ability to co-witness irons is not high on my list of priorities... it never has been.

I have a few modifications in mind that will enable me to use the irons, not
because I want to co-witness, but because I love using the M14s iron sights.

This stock offers the shooter many advantages including bedding that
doesn't wear out and a semi free floated barrel, both enhance accuracy.

Speaking of iron sights and co-witness, CRANE NSWC allows for neither with their US NAVY MK14 Mod 2

#12 ·
lone-wolf, I appreciate the compliment(s).

fragout, Tony and I have discussed this at great length and if I decide to move forward with the modification it's going to be a real challenge. M14.CA has done such an excellent job of trimming the fat that there isn't the mass you have with the SAGE chassis. There is not much surface area to work with.

Frank has agreed to send me a spare Blackfeather butt stock adapter. My plan is to see if it is possible to graft a SAGE PRS2 butt stock onto it... stay tuned.

If neither of these iron sight mods pan out for me I'll be stuck with using an incredibly reliable RDS or NF optic exclusively.

#13 ·
My only issue with this setup is the buffer tube stock. Let's face it - in the big scheme of things, buffer tube stocks are fragile. There are much better options for adjustability and collapsibilty than buffer tubes. While there are very few options on a DGI AR, purposly fitting a buffer tube on a non-buffertube firearm seems lazy and makes me wonder what else was scrimped on.

#17 ·
I appreciate the comments, but there is no need for a super duper receiver extension tube or a heavy barrel here.

Now that I can use iron sights on my Crazy Horse M21A5 EBR I am less motivated to make the
Blackfeather iron sight friendly. That said, flip up battle sights are not out of the question.

Crazy Horse M21A5 EBR with a new SAGE PMRI butt stock.
That little step down makes all the difference in the world.

#18 ·
UPDATE: 07-26-14

Frank at M14.ca recently came up with an ultra light weight full length LSP top cover that will allow optics & sights to be mounted on the same plane. This was easier than my trying to create a new butt stock. The LSP will not be available for another 3 to 4 weeks.

Prototype pictured:

I recently put my CQB-16 type SEI into a new FDE Blackfeather "RS", and I'm waiting on a color matched LSP to arrive before I can finish it up. Also, the Blackfeather "RS" is now shipping from the US. http://m14ebr.us/

#30 ·
You are welcome, but I've shelved the mod for now.

As you can see, I went with the monolithic (LSP) flat-top rail.
It's ideally suited to flip up sights like Troy & Magpul.

I sent AG an M14 EBR trigger shoe to use when testing & evaluation of their pistol grip stock begins.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.