Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Nuclear, Biological and Chemical (NBC) Survival
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 09-21-2013, 11:42 PM
inventor of Sneezeborne

Thanked 7,214 Times in 2,431 Posts

Advertise Here

I would suggest some simple things like an Israeli civilian gas mask, extra NATO cartridge, canteen with drinking hose and a simple rain suit. Try to get upwind ASAP then jump into a shower with the gear on. I'm no expert, but that's what I would suggest. I would not bother with Tyvek, tape and gloves, but that's just me. I would prefer not to overheat and pass out plus that is time wasted when I could be running like hell.
The Following User Says Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2013, 12:20 PM
Survivor

Thanked 1,223 Times in 701 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme11 View Post
I would suggest some simple things like an Israeli civilian gas mask, extra NATO cartridge, canteen with drinking hose and a simple rain suit. Try to get upwind ASAP then jump into a shower with the gear on. I'm no expert, but that's what I would suggest. I would not bother with Tyvek, tape and gloves, but that's just me. I would prefer not to overheat and pass out plus that is time wasted when I could be running like hell.
Your ideas are not unreasonable, but they have a major flaw: they are generic.
What is it you are trying to survive? Where? If you live in a big city and trying to survive an accident (or terrorist attack) and are in your car, you just drive away as fast as technically possible. If you are walking, you need to have the mask on you (and not in your backpack). And, maybe, running into some solid building is not a bad idea. And 3,536 other scenarios. And, by the way, I would not recommend a 40-year old mask, and any mask not designed to be used tactically.
Old 10-08-2013, 05:21 PM

I didnt read all the responses but first of all in a nuclear event, your automobile will not get you out of the affected area. All the electronics will be fried from EMP. Unless, of course, you drive a car built 40 years ago, which I do. Second, if you bugged out, where would you go? Running to the hills is no solution because the radiation is going to contaminate huge regions of the country. I could go on but do what I did. MOVE! get out of target areas and build a shelter to live in. Its a great life. No stress and you are already sheltered in your home. With some planning you can do this for less than $100,000.00 and I can assure you in times of depression or recession your property values will not drop one nickel. Living in the middle of a swamp for the last 20+ years have been the best, most enjoyable of my life. All the modern conveniences with solar and also a 50mpg diesel automobile. Grown my own food, organic and have a greenhouse full of citrus, oranges, grapefruit, avacadoes, kiwi, date palm, pineapple, lemons, olives and yes you can easily do that in the north. If you are serious...get serious and quit looking for the easy way out. There isnt one. With my safe haven, organic food, and healthy lifestyle, people think Im 25 years younger than I am. Try it you will like it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Silverbullet404 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2014, 06:44 PM

Hey everybody (years later lol.)

Came back to check this today. I should have been more specific.

I work in dc and would like to keep an attack/disaster kit in my car. I already have a HUB, this is for nefarious type events. I admit that my education on NBC attacks/likelihood is very little. I will be doing some research.

Im under no illusion that I would survive everything but I assume Some things are rag-tag in nature and not as effective.

I was thinking things to protect me from the most common type of event. Some things that had occurred to me were tyvek, gas mask (though now some are saying escape hoods, I will look into those.), iosat tabs (cheap insurance), N95 or N100 masks (would this be sufficient to protect from dust from a building collapse like the stuff thats causing 9/11 survivors problems now?

Thanks again. Wish I didn't work in DC lol.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:20 PM
Gas! Gas! Gas!

Well, you've gotten several good answers already... but a few things to add: respirator/gas mask vs. escape hood is a tough one. Some escape hoods are positive pressure, some negative pressure. The former uses some kind of battery to power the blower while the latter uses a filter of some sort... like a standard gas mask. You will have to weigh the options and learn the benefits and limitations of both to see what would work best for you.

My personal preference for basic (non-specific) respiratory protection is a negative pressure respirator/gas mask with various filter canisters and a hood for covering the head, neck and shoulders. It is durable, needs no batteries, has better re-useable-ness, and is designed to be used in conjunction with other equipment/gear.

As for a suit... there are various types of tyvec and tyvec-like materials that will protect you from CBRN stuff. It takes very little research to find what you will need, as there are many companies with catalogs and online resources that are specifically geared toward this type of thing... first responder, EHS, etc. Many of these suits are cheap, lightweight, compact and bought by the dozen or more and are meant to be disposable. Others are reusable and can easily be decontaminated... some are to be worn for extended circumstances.

Gloves can be simple, cheap butyl rubber gloves with or without additional covers... overboots are the same deal.

For sealing any areas like sleeve/glove, there is tape made for the purpose... duct tape in a pinch.

That's it. The only thing that is the least bit complicated (and probably the most important) is the respiratory protection. Learn what the various filters are capable of, as well as the materials of the mask/hood itself... and definitely learn how to maintain/repair that stuff (have some spare parts... valves, gaskets, etc.).

For your specific purpose, I would be thinking about TIM/TIC spills, explosions (accidental or terrorist), fires (which release lots of foul stuff), and maybe some kind of dirty bomb. The above mentioned items would be fine for those threats.
Old 02-17-2014, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewie08 View Post
I was thinking things to protect me from the most common type of event. Some things that had occurred to me were tyvek, gas mask (though now some are saying escape hoods, I will look into those.), iosat tabs (cheap insurance), N95 or N100 masks (would this be sufficient to protect from dust from a building collapse like the stuff thats causing 9/11 survivors problems now?
Forget the Iosat. 1st) It's only good against radioactive iodine. This only comes from a nuclear reaction (reactor or atomic/thermonuclear bomb). Not likely in the more likely (in DC) dirty bomb. 2nd) the value of KI decreases rapidly as children get older, and then decreases as adults age. There is very little benefit for a healthy 40 yo with a normal uptake of iodine (ie almost anyone in the US)

It is gospel that a RDD (dirty bomb) in DC would concentrate on long lived radioisotopes (which are easer to get, easier to hide, and safer to handle) as to deny the area to the public for a long period of time.
The Following User Says Thank You to country_boy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2014, 09:44 PM
Semper Fi

Thanked 1,157 Times in 801 Posts

I'm guessing the coming script, but I'd say dc is prime target so relocation to Denver 'n atlanta. I'd say small 'n dirty, duurtay. And with that a gas mask will work. Keep civilian respirators too, for dust/germ. Sealed charcoal suits are good, with butyl rubber boots 'n gloves.

I'd have it handy, a backpack is great. I like british nbc gear, it has a hood. US mop suits kinda suck, and they rely on a rubber hood attached to the mask.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:15 PM
USMC Sgt.

Nbc suits and gas masks work if you have them within 5 ft of you all the time. having a missile warning system helps as well, Gives you one min to get your mask on. Living in mop gear for three straight months is not the most fun option.

That being said, it's a slim chance you ever get hit with the really good military stuff that "kills in seconds" but in your every day SHTF/floods/riots/ situation, half the soccer moms in the US carry mace on a key chain. That my be the only weapon available to people in some areas. There will be a cloud of CS Gas and pepper spray for miles. Having a mask in your car to get you from work to home without snot and tears rolling down your face.

Full face paint respirators like ones from 3M cost under 175$ will filter out CS and other chemicals. You can get them at any paint store or hardware store. A new pack of filters cost 15$. The draw backs are it has two filters and they can get in the way of proper Cheek weld while shooting. And they are not as durable as a military one.