Survivalist Forum banner

How to make homemade yeast

8K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  coached 
#1 ·
I have been wondering what would happen if the SHTF and you couldnt freeze yeast anymore for baking. Yeast will eventually go bad. So, I decided to see if there is a way of making my own yeast. I found this video on the net. If you all know of any other ways, please share! According to this experiment, raisins seem to work the best. We're going to try this one and see how it comes out. Pretty cool , I hope it really works!

Here's another video, a chef using the same idea....

#15 · (Edited)
It is possible for sourdough starter to go bad if some bad bacteria is somehow introduced
into it or if it is left out on the counter too long w/o feeding it..
Cleanliness is important , using only clean utensils, clean water and cleaning the container occasionally are a must. You don't want to add anything but flour and water to the starter.

Our starter is currently 1 1/2 years old with no problems at all, makes delicious bread.
We use it most every week or two. People who have tried our bread raved about it.

If a starter were to go bad it would change to a pinkish or brownish color and smell bad too.

Starter does need to be cared for properly to maintain its health and vitality,like a pet.

#17 ·
I also want to know if this effects the taste at all? For instance, if you were making just a regular loaf of wheat bread, would it have a hint of raisin? I mean it wouldn't be a big deal if you always made raisin bread, but I think after a month or two of only eating raisin bread, I might want to fight somebody, lol. Also, if it had a raisin taste, the garlic bread I eat with my spaghetti wouldn't really compliment the meal, lol. I guess I could try this and find out, I would like to know the amount to use though....

#19 ·
Wild caught yeast is generally the basis for a sour dough starter. But the sooner you use it the sweeter the bread. If you take a sour-dough starter and add some fresh flour and get the yeast active then you can control the degree of sourness of your bread by how soon you make bread from it. Intentional sour-dough bread has been let to ferment 24hours or more before baked. If you feed the starter, use it once it starts to get active, let the bread dough rise and bake it soon, then it will not be strongly sour.

No, what ever way you catch wild yeast does not flavor the final bread product.

#18 ·
Sourdough starter was a daily part of life for our grandparents or great grandparents. As was the culture to make yogurt and kefir and other fermented dairy. Yeasts can be caught and multiplied at any time but it takes several days. Dry packaged yeast is just a time convenience. If you want to make and store your own -- you can make sourdough starter and dry it in a food dryer at a very low temperature. I am quite sure that the yeast would still be active once water was added (though I've not actually done this).

Raw milk will sour naturally too (ferment). That is how our ancestors preserved milk. The bacteria that soured the milk created an acid environment that other prevented problem bacteria from multiplying. "Clabbered milk" was what they called the naturally soured milk.

There are at least a dozen ways to catch yeast and make sourdough -- raisin water is just one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.