Survivalist Forum banner
4K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  blackwolf911 
#1 ·
So my idea is to bug in, however after the initial S hitting the fan (not to say things will completely calm down) but when things do "calm down" I plan on using a backpack for a little Urban adventure if thats what you want to call it. Now what I would do is search abandon houses, gather water from the lakes, find food, etc... whatever needs to be done. So I was wondering if you could recommend me a good pack and maybe some items. I was thinking something like a hiking backpack to blend in with sheeple. Please no molle/alice/hunting/camo, I'd rather not draw attention. Preferably just a backpack with waist and chest straps, no external frames, maybe internal frame if it is not humongous. (I would also like a pocket for a hydration pack)

Some items I think I should have are:
a days worth of food
water
first aid kit
headlamp/flashlight
fixed blade
multi tool
14 in. bolt cutters
gloves
maybe an extra pair of light clothing
definitly extra socks
small fishing gear
50 feet of 550 parachord

Yes a firearm, however I'm only 18 and can't buy a handgun where I live. My parents aren't into prepping like I am, so guess it's my duty to prep and provide until my parents open their eyes. I've practically convinced my dad to get into hunting (so I can get a rifle, learn to track, etc...) Still have a lot of work to do with them though :rolleyes:

Sorry for being so picky and writing so much, but I would just like a better understanding of what I might need.

Thanks for the tips!

Edit: Please move if this is in the wrong place, I'm talking mainly gear, but in an urban environment, so thought it fit in here more.

See less See more
#2 ·
I would go with at least two days of food, three would be better if you have to lay low and can't get back home because you are being tracked. I'd forget the fishing kit unless you do plan on going fishing for some of your food source. In that case, you need more than a basic kit. If you do plan on fishing, consider a gill net or cast net.

Since you can't have firearms, and there will be feral dogs and cats around, a 3' dowel with a frog gig head on it will do for protection, as well as taking small game if you can get close enough. Plus it is silent. Add a cast net or a utility net for capturing game and entangling predators so you can disptach them would be a good idea.

Some rain gear.

A good pry bar.

You'll need much bigger bolt cutters to be effective in entering abandoned places. And their very presence could get you in trouble if you are caught by the authorities, if there are any.

You're not going to be able to carry much you recover back in just a back pack. If a game cart (might look out of place) you might use a wagon, or grocery cart. If you need something even less visible, one or two hobo buckets (with carry stick) to carry found/liberated items.

Just a few things off the top of my head.

#3 ·
Your going to want a hacksaw and some spare blades too for urban recon ;)

Battery powered angle grinder would be good (Makita makes one, not sure who else) (Remember, all battery powered things will be dead after a few years.. but untill then they will save you a LOT of work :p )

Probably some things i'm missing, I feel like i'm missing something.. not sure what yet...

This thread may give you some ideas too:

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=78833

As may this one:

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=61235

#6 ·
Some ideas from experience.

Add to your kit

Shims made from soda cans Youtube padlock shims for instructions. Dump the cutters, they scream out B&E to LE.

Lock picks, get a small set and learn how to use them. Between the shims and picks, 90% of common locks are accesable in 30-45 seconds, with much less distruction evident.

Fence pliers- Best wire cutter ever designed by man for their size, can easily cut 10ga wire.

Ruger 10/22, decent fixed power scope, no more than 4x, Remington subsonic 22lr. These are the hidden gem in Rems ammo line. Very quiet, like airgun quiet in rifles. Put a folding stock on it, it will fit easily in most 3 day sized packs. A pouch full of the 10 rd magazines and you are in bisiness for feral animals as well as game up to deer sized if you put the shot in the right place. Also usefull for self defense in a pinch, but hopefully you will be better at hiding.

Carry more food, more water and have a better plan for moving larger items.

#7 ·
Dump the cutters, they scream out B&E to LE.

Lock picks, get a small set and learn how to use them. Between the shims and picks, 90% of common locks are accesable in 30-45 seconds, with much less distruction evident.
lol, so cutters scream B&E and yet lock picks do not?? :p

Anyway, the OP is talking post collapse, so no LE to worry about.

Lock picking isnt a particularly easy skill to learn, you cant just pick up a let of lock picks and start picking locks. Bolt cutters you can. Additionally, 30-45 seconds (if your good) vs 5 seconds with the cutters. Time at a door quite possibly means time exposed to sentries/gunfire whatever.

I would stick with the cutters ;)

#8 ·
Easier to conceal lock picks and much lighter than bolt cutters...

One of my hobbies a few years ago was lock picking, it's a great skill to have. I used to make my own picks with key rings(soft metal ones, straightened with pliers and heated/flattened with a lighter. When I was really into it I could pick anything short of a deadbolt in under 5 minutes.

Bolt cutters are used on padlocks, and they are rather easy to pick.

If the locks are complex, sure a bolt cutter is faster but as PLA said it's hard to conceal and attracts unwanted attention.

#9 ·
I've got to agree about dumping the bolt cutters. The most reliable ones are typically 24" and neither are very light for the pack. I would get (and practice) a set of lock picks if you're serious and a small folding hacksaw. The battery powered version is a good short-term idea.

A good mini-prybar is a great tool for "breaching"; my pick is ATC's VTAC tomahawk for a breaching tool, but I'd still have a small prybar.

I also second PLA's recommendation on the fencing pliers...a very good multi-use tool!

Not from a Batman perspective, but a good length of rope or 1" tubular webbing and a improvised grappling hook would help negotiate different barriers.

ROCK6

#15 ·
If you're scavenging B+E is the name of the game. You better plan on scouting it out good or you may be breaking in to your own tomb. Cutters aren't gonna get you in a house. Get a serious crowbar like 2 ft long and sharpen the ends with a file. The weak point of doors is between the knob and deadbolt. Windows would be preferable. If you want to go in quiet take some contact paper. Paste it over the window before you break the glass. A good claw hammer could be handy and double as a weapon since you're not packing a gun. Same with a couple large standard screwdrivers. Good for wedges and prying. Not bad shanks either. Bicycle will speed up your get away without much noise. Should be plenty around for you to snag one. Best tool you can have is a friend. For look out and to calm your nerves.

-2ft crowbar with sharpened ends
-claw hammer w steal shaft
-contact paper
-pair of large standard screwdrivers
-blanket to cover window sill with jagged glass
-bike
-partner in crime
-Bear spray

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.