- Hygiene Bag
- Tools Bag

Tools Bag

GHB by Switchblade906, on Flickr
- Tin Foil
- Trash Bag
- Duck Tape
- Gorilla Tape
- Small Tackle Box w/ Thread, Lighter, Rubber Bands, Ear Plugs, 9mm Bore Cleaner, Small Caribeaner, and More
- Waterproof Matches
- Pen
- 9mm Cleaning Rod
- Small Sewing Kit
- Green & Yellow Glow Stick
- Knife Sharpener
- Zip Ties
- Box Cutter

Hygiene Bag

- Half Roll of Toilet Paper
- (20) or so Q-Tips
- Pad & (2) Tampons for the Wife
- Eye Solution
- Contacts Case
- Eye Drops
- Tums
- Anti Chafe
- Wisp Throwaway Toot Brushes
- Tide Pen
- Baby Suntan Lotion
- Kids Bug Spray
- Baby Diaper
- Pacifier

Top Compartment

- $70 in Cash & Coins
- Gerber Recon M CPL Flashlight

Coms Compartment

- (2) More Glock 17 Mags

Water Bladder Compartment

- Work Gloves

Side Shot

15ft Paracord
Climbing Carabeaner

Please let me know what you think and any suggestions on what to add or remove.

See less See more
#3 ·
Just a few things I noticed, figured I'd offer my input (thats what the site is for right?)I understand the concept of 2 is 1, 1 is none. But there are a couple big time redundancies in your bag. For example:

At least 5 writing instruments.
5+ fire starting tools.

If this bag is simply meant to get you home, 1 or 2 of each ought to be sufficient.

Couple other things I noticed were you have essentially a weapons cleaning kit. Not sure how far you work from where you live, but your Glock is very unlikely to need a cleaning in between.

Also don't quite get the point behind carrying a box cutter. Does it serve a purpose or have a function a regular knife can't do?

The final thing is food. There's not much of it. I think you'll be more likely to need food/water if you had to hoof it back home then you would 5 writing instruments, 5 fire starters, and a gun cleaning kit. I suppose depending on the scenario the cash could buy you food/water, but in some scenarios it wouldn't. I'd throw a few more high calorie foods in there, and maybe a bottle of water as well.

Just my friendly 2 cents.

#20 ·
The final thing is food. There's not much of it. I think you'll be more likely to need food/water if you had to hoof it back home then you would 5 writing instruments, 5 fire starters, and a gun cleaning kit. I suppose depending on the scenario the cash could buy you food/water, but in some scenarios it wouldn't. I'd throw a few more high calorie foods in there, and maybe a bottle of water as well.

Just my friendly 2 cents.
above x2 for the water, especially in hot and humid florida where you can sweat like a pig just going outside to check the mail.

#4 ·
Looks like a good start. GHBs have a way of evolving as you acquire new or better gear. As stated above, there are a few redundancies and a few items that could probably be switched out for something else.

Boxcutter - take a look around your local supermarket, the stockers leave smaller boxcutters laying around all over. They are thinner and weight a lot less. They take regular razor blades instead of utility blades though, so that is a small downside.

Highlighter - ? Probably could be substituted for something else. One of the sharpies is really all you need for writing.

Flashlight - Probably 1 would be sufficient, keep the other one in your car.

Tide Pen - is there another use for this other than the obvious?

Knife - maybe replace that with a multitool and carry the knife in your pocket every day.

Ok, thats all I am gonna beat you up on your kit. Its a great start. Here are some suggestions that might or might not help you.

Compass, Stocking hat, Hunting socks, Moleskin, whistle, mosquito net, Tarp/drop cloth/poncho, more food, bandannas/towel.

Cotton rounds or cotton balls soaked in BagBalm - great multiuse medication for chapped lips, sores, blisters, and it makes a good firestarter.

Small Metal coffee can - very lightweight and very multiuse. Can be used for cooking, boiling water, carrying water, small shovel, etc.

At least 3 nails and some braided fishing line.

Hope this helps, good luck. Take your kit out and use it a few times for camping. You will get a better idea of what does and does not work.

#5 ·
Thanks for the advice. I forgot to mention that on my person at all times I have a Glock 19, extra 19 mag, knife, pen, wallet, keys.

There is moleskin in the first aid kit
Since I have a 2 year old the tide pen and all the other baby stuff is for him. I do need to add a package of wipes too though.
The pens and the highlighter are for work, I bring this bag with me into work everyday and sometimes need those extra writing tools.
The box cutter was free from work and in there until I get the leatherman charge TTi I'm saving for.
Also in the first aid kit there is a whistle

#7 ·
I want to get the Rush 24 for my EDC/GHB and also the Rush 72 for my BOB once I have everything I want/need for the EDC/GHB.

Things I still need to add are a Poncho, compass, extra clothes, hat, camping stove, hand sanitizer, and a bandana. I would like to add a mosquito net and a tarp but I don't know if I have room for that stuff.

#8 ·
Nice pack agree with others on pens, gun cleaning kit, and fire starting. Best to keep it simple just one bic will be good for over 1000 uses, just toss in 2 bic mini lighters and your good to go. Dont see much use for road flare in your pack to justify the weight why not switch it out for a quality chem light?

Dont know whats in your med kit but most med kits can be tossed out. If the wound is not big/deep enough for some type of quick clot a piece of your shirt and some tape work just fine. I just carry some celox 2/35 gram bags, some iodine and gauze. Im guessing you have kids so I can see a use for band-aids.

Id add some water to your kit, never know water may not be found or contaminated.

#9 ·
Also being a central Florida resident I would change the following-

1) Add a bottle of water purification pills. I prefer ones that make the water potable in less than 30 minutes. Water is very important, especially in the Florida summers. One empty canteen just won't cut it. Two full ones would be better. That gives you water to drink while the other one is working on purifying.

2) While I guess you could make shelter out of a trash bag, I would dump that in favor of a syl/nylon back-packers poncho with tie down corners. It can be better used as a poncho and makes a fairly good impromptu shelter for those summer storms. Even in the city, the ability to make shelter at a moment’s notice is important

3) I would dump the folder for a fixed blade. Even a cheap Mora would serve you better than that folder. A fixed blade and a Leatherman multi-tool would be ideal.

4) I'm not sure about your bug spray situation, but whatever you do, don't underestimate that threat.

5) Nice fire kit. This may sound stupid, but I would add a small aluminum pot for cooking/ boiling as a back-up to the pills. Following natural disasters, bad water kills more people than any other threat. People get thirsty and drink questionable water just trying to stay alive. It ends up killing them

6) I’m a bare bones guy for the GHB, so to make room for the items I added, I would dump the following…
-Road Flair
- Rite in the Rain Notepad
Highlighter
- Small Sharpie
- Zebra Mechanical Pencil
- Zebra Fine Point Pen
- Key Chain Box Cutter
- Old Gerber Knife
- Afterbite
- Oakleys w/ (3) Pairs of Different Lenses
- Vented Dusk Masks (2)
- Tin Foil
- Trash Bag
- Duck Tape
- Ear Plugs, 9mm Bore Cleaner, Small Caribeaner, and More
- Pen
- 9mm Cleaning Rod
- Small Sewing Kit
- Green & Yellow Glow Stick
- Zip Ties
- Box Cutter
- (20) or so Q-Tips
- Anti Chafe (use gorilla duct tape)
- Wisp Throwaway Toot Brushes
- Tide Pen
- Baby Suntan Lotion
-Gloves

#17 ·
I’m a bare bones guy for the GHB, so to make room for the items I added, I would dump the following
This is about as bare bones as it gets, the only thing not pictured is the EDC pistol (glock 30), knife (swiss spirit), and pen light on the key ring.

A 15 oz can

3/8"x3.5" ferrocerium rod wrapped with the first layer of paracord with the charmin TP under it.

17 sheets of TP wrapped with another layer of paracord. (don't want the TP touching the ferrocerium rod)

Mylar space blanket (everdixie unfolded 56"x84" folded 3.5" wide) wrapped around the above with duct tape holding it and a tab for 100' of 25# fishing line

Ferrocerium striker held down under 5' of wrapped duct tape around all the above.

This will be going in as well

All wrapped components in, first cliff bar (240 calories each) set in, 2 3x5" steripads, 3 alcohol pads, 5 regular bandaids.

Cut down tooth brush, last cliff bar

Squeezing in another alchol pad

Two fish hooks, leatherman squirt and button compass added to the top.

Still have a quarter inch to the top. That would be filled with water purification pills, some multivitamins, etc in separate Ziploc bags.

That is as bare bones as you get.

Reactions: WILL
#11 ·
Lot of good stuff

you have gloves, dust mask, glasses. are the glasses good for smoke or chemical? I have some speedo swim glasses. I would get some heavier gloves in case you have to handle fire or rough brush.

You have a little food but you will get thirsty first. A bottle of water. Also if you get a gash it can be used for cleansing too. I have a lifestraw too. I have purification tabs too but would rather boil if I could. Oh coffee filters too.

Since you will be walking how about some mace for dogs? Obviously you could shoot em but that might not go over well and some fools are drawn to gunfire. I also have a reflective vest in mine. My most real scenario is my ancient motorcycle craps out in a cell phone dead spot and I am hoofing it. I want to be seen. It is not all Mad Max go camo in getting home.

#12 ·
I like boiling as a super reliable way of purifying water. The down side in Florida is waiting for the water to cool enough to drink without adding to your heat exhaustion threat. In other words, drinking hot water in the Florida summer sucks. Waiting for it to cool when you are thirsty is a pita. Boiling is better than nothing, but it's definatly plan B.

And FYI on the dust masks, when get them damp or wet from sweating on them, the air can't flow through them. They essentially water board you, becoming worthless. Sweating all over a dust mask in Florida without power is almost certain. A bandana is probably a better option. If you don't believe me, get one damp and try it.

#13 ·
I concur with several opinions that you have way too much junk here. What's with all the sharpie pens, and especially the Tide stain remover?? Too many firestarters,rolls of duct tape,etc.
Also, maybe I missed it, but I didn't see a compass and local maps. These are near the top of my GHB list.
And, as mentioned above by 'real wowee' a Lifestraw is a very practical consideration,especially as inexpensive as they are ( my traveling/GHB has had one for a couple years now.)

#21 ·
Well theres only 2 Sharpies one regular sized one and a mini one so theres really no weight or space concerns there.

I said in a previous post that i have a 2 year old so thats what the tide stain pen is for since the bad is always with me and so is he.

I have 1 regular sized bic lighter and 2 mini ones so I don't see how thats to many.

I plan on adding maps, compass, and one of those Lifestraws too.

#15 · (Edited)
The people that should really be disgusted with these clowns are people who actually do care about the environment. So much money has been siphoned away from efforts that might actually bear fruit for people, plants, animals and the entire ecological community will be discredited once regular people catch on to the magnitude of this crime.

Any fool that lives by the axiom 'follow the money' could see what this was all about.

Sorry I posted this in the wrong thread.

#16 ·
The people that should really be disgusted with these clowns are people who actually do care about the environment. So much money has been siphoned away from efforts that might actually bear fruit for people, plants, animals and the entire ecological community will be discredited once regular people catch on to the magnitude of this crime.

Any fool that lives by the axiom 'follow the money' could see what this was all about.
You don't say...

#29 ·
9mm bore cleaner and cleaning rod can be substituted with a bore snake.
Actually, you don't even need a gun cleaning kit,at all. Exactly how many firefights with a pistol do you envison having (not to mention, surviving), that your weapon being fouled becomes a concern? (especially a Glock)
Remember, this is just a "get home" bag,you're not being exiled to Mars to forge a new civilization. I'm thinking you need to look at this more like the serious mountain climbers do: basically,adopting a "ounces turn into pounds" mentality.

#27 ·
Nice pack! I tend to use hiking frame packs as BOBs, but I can see the appeal of the MOLLE gear.

For a GHB, that's a lot of lead to carry with you. If I counted right, when heading home you would have:

• One glock 19 and 1 spare mag on your person from EDC
  • Three more glock 17 mags in your pack
  • A tin full of more ammo
I know everyone has their opinions on self-protection needs, but I would argue that you could leave all of that extra ammo out of the pack and still be protected about the same with your two G19 mags (assuming one in the gun).

Pistols are a very effective "get off my tail" weapon for up-close threats... but their effectiveness drops sharply past 15-20 yards, and they really can't compete with a shotgun or rifle. If you expect to be engaged in that much gun-fighting on your way home, IMO you would need a lot more firepower than a pistol would provide. At the very least, the extra mags in your pack are redundant, as they would not be handy or accessible in a firefight anyway.

It's up to you if you want to haul that much lead around, but the hiker part of my brain is looking at all of those mags and screaming "DEAD WEIGHT! DEAD WEIGHT!" IMO those extra pounds could be put to better use storing food or clothing.

#28 ·
I do carry a lot of ammo but really its only 115 rounds. I would prefer to have more since im in more of a city setting then a rural setting. If I were to ever need to use this bag I would encounter a lot of people on the way home, and some of my route Is through some bad places.

Its only 16 miles from work to home so I can get by without a lot of food but I do need to add another water bottle and a water filter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.