Survivalist Forum banner

My Urban EDC/GHB

10K views 36 replies 21 participants last post by  np3ba 
#1 ·
Just Finished My EDC/GHB and thought I'd share it with y'all. It's a 5.11 Push Pack With Some Additional Pouches added:

Inventory:

Main Utility Pocket: 2 ELFM's, Rain Poncho, Mylar Emergency Blanket, 32 ft paracord, Hot hands, 55 gallon Drum liner, Sewing kit w/ buttons, Lightstick, Stormproof matches, LMF Scout fero rod, Vaseline Cotton Balls, Thermo-Compass, Streamlight Nano light, Earplugs, Leatherman Micra, Pocket Saw, Pocket Pry bar,Pocket Razor Knife, Thumb Drive with ID information,Blue bandana,Nite Ize Flashlight Holster for Fenix LD20, Iodine Tablets for Purification, UST Starflash 2X3 Signal Mirror, Pro Knot Cards,Fresnel Lens, Silva Starter Compass, 2% Iodine Tincture, Check # 0315, Hose Clamp, $100 Cash in Aloksak Bag,AA iphone Charger,4 Zip Ties, Randall Adventure Training Survival Card, Sparklite Fire Starter w/ 8 Tinder quicks, Be Prepeared to Survive Emergency Fishing Kit, Maratac 4 in 1 Screwdriver, M-Audio IE-20 XB Headphones for iPhone

Rear Concealment Pouch: MRE's: Spaghetti w/ Meat Sauce, Cheese Spread, Chipotle Snack Bread, Cherry Cobbler, Rasberry Beverage Mix, Oatmeal, 2 Tapatio, S&P, MRE TP/Matches/Moist Towelette pack, Hot Beverage Bag Coffee Kit w/ creamer, sugar and two instant Coffee's, Soldier Fuel Energy Bar, Emergen-C, Brunton My-Ti Spork Titanium Spork, 3 Starbucks Via Coffee, 2 PG Tips teas, cliff Double Expresso Energy Shot, Rockstar Caffeinated Gum,

Maxpedition Bikini:1 QT Nalgene USGI Canteen W/ Cup and Stove, 1 Trioxane fuel tab, 2 Emergen-C's, Molle Compatible County Comm Green SO-LED (Rear MOLLE Webbing)

Maxpedition Janus (Strap): Cold Steel Voyager x2, Eye drops, Carmex, Nail Clippers, Hand Sanitizer, Thunderstorm whistle, MRE TP/Matches,

Mapedition 5" Phone Pouch (On Order,Strap): iphone 4 in Otterbox Defender Case

Side Left Pocket:M258A Fire kit, 6 Wetfire Cubes, Stormproof Matches w/ Strikers, VCB's (Vaseline Cotton Balls) in Snuss Can, 4 ft Gorilla tape, 5 AA batteries, 4 Nanolight batteries,Gerber Pocket Sharpener,

Top Sunglass Pocket: Protective Ballistic Glasses (Clear), Nicotine Gum (10, Hey It's better than Copenhagen :),

Side Right Pocket:adventure medical kits bivy Heat Sheets, Mechanix Wear Black Gloves, 5 Celox 2 Gram Packets in Aloksak bag,

Front Zipper Pocket: MoleSkin, 4 Bens 30% Deet Wipes, 4 Wet Ones Singles Wipes, 2 Rem Oil Wipes

Front Left Tactical Tailor Mutl-tool pouch: Leatherman Charg tti

Front Right LE Pepper Spray Pouch: 1.3oz Cold Steel Inferno Pepper spray,

That's All Folks! Hope you enjoyed Checking out my Setup!

See less See more
#6 ·
I vote for more paracord. Never can have enough. Think of some black cord laced/wrapped around the shoulder strap. It'll give you a little more comfort when carrying the back as well. I balk at the IPhone. Nothing wrong with IPhones but, in an ugly situation, there won't be any cell service. I guess some games on it will keep you busy when you're hunkered down somewhere waiting for things to clear up a bit. I'd prolly toss mine in my bag for when cellaphones start working again. Don't forget the charging cable and wallwort for it.

What are you looking at using the 55 gallon drum liner for? Seems like anything heavy enough to haul something that big would take up a good bit of room.

Excellent job overall.

#10 ·
Thanks for the input! First off I agree you can never have too much paracord, thinking about adding some via a handle or something. As stated
By someone else the drum liner is in there for shelter, real easy to make a tent/tarp based setup and you can even make reinforced grommets for it with the duct tape. Lastly the iPhone has numerous survival related apps, documentation, and offline maps in the form of PDF files that can be read via the good reader app that I use regularly. I carry that thing everyday as it is so might as well make it survival oriented!

#11 ·
I hope you realize that the 5.11 bag makes you a potential person of interest for the LEO and could scare soccer moms like plague.

Good stuff in the bag but I would keep all that in something less tactical such as Jansport or Camelbak.

Is this really your urban every day carry or you actually meant to say B.O.B. ?

#14 ·
Exactly! I'm from the "Hard Target School of Thought". While I don't wish to attract unwanted attention from LEO's, I have nothing illegal in the bag and more than anything, I think people will mess with someone who is obviously a "Softer Target" (Especially if I'm carrying my SOG Machete that lives with this bag).

This setup is a quasi EDC/GHB as I carry this bag on hikes and in the city on occasion but for the most part it stays in the trunk of my car. My POU on the Bag is if things get really ugly whilst in an urban area (i.e Earthquake, Riot, Critical Mass etc) I can have what I need to get back to my main supplies and setup camp for the night if need be in a semi light, easy to carry bag.

One of the things that sold me on the Push Pack (aside from the $43 price from ebags.com) was the belt loop strap on the inside of the pack. This loop allows me to strap it on my pants belt and by adjusting the shoulder strap, distributes the weight between the belt and shoulder. Also, by skipping one belt loop on my pants, I can have it slide around the front or keep it on my rear all secured close to my body so it doesn't swing wildly if I need to run.

#16 ·
I was considering the Versipack for my set up actually! How do you like it? Check this Mongo Versipack vid out on Analytical's Channel:

There are several internal compartments in the main part of the Push Pack and all the Smaller stuff is on an Air Force Type Wire Cable Key Ring so that helps. I've been considering doing Analytical's mod and sewing a high tension elastic band on the underside of the top flap to secure and organize items too.

#21 ·
My Jumbo has the nalgene which is full and a Glock 34/mags and Ka-bar/leatherman attached as well but they would come off and go on my belt as soon as I get out of the car with it.

Everything else is pretty light.

-Browning Dry Lite Jacket
-Jetboil PCS and 2 cans fuel.
-4000 calories of food
-3 MRE spoons
-Headlamp
-Lifegear stick
-Nano light
-Surefire G3 LED
-(4) each AA and 123 batts
-Eton Radio
-Spyderco folder
-Inflatable life preserver
-Frontier Filter
-Windstopper hat and gloves
-All weather WP matches
-Bic lighters
-Maps of Southcentral AK
-GPS w/ maps downloaded.
-Sunglasses w/ safety and polaroid lenses
-FAK w/ bandages, suture, steri strips, anitbiotics, altram and SAM Splint
-Tin of Bag Balm
-ID, Credit Card, Insurance Card and $50 cash

Weight is 9 lbs without gun, mags, knife or water so it's not so bad.

#22 ·
Perhaps I'm wrong, but my impression was that soccer moms are worried by people who look like gang bangers, derelicts, or trouble makers, not by clean cut people with shoulder bags. I think the impression this setup would have on john q public has been overstated by some. It says "I'm armed" to some forum members because they know who 5.11 is, but they're a definite minority. Most people recognize the GAP, not 5.11.

#31 ·
Camouflage is a survival trait

Ditch the tactical bag. Forget about "legal" or "illegal". Why risk getting detained, or shot?

I recently repacked my BOB from a mil-style backpack into a regular "school bag". I could carry it anywhere and nobody would spare a second glance.

If law enforcement do _not_ detain "suspicious individuals" in the event of an emergency, then you're really screwed. Because you ain't badass enough to survive on your own in a shooting riot. None of us is. (Those of you who do that - in teams - for a living, thank you for your service.) If you do have a team to support you, and the skills and equipment to do so, I beg you to help LEO do their jobs. We'll all be better off if as many as possible try to help rather than hinder.

I would advise people not to carry firearms openly as well. You can talk about your rights all you like, and I agree with you, but that is not going to save you from being shot if you look like a threat.

#32 ·
Ditch the tactical bag. Forget about "legal" or "illegal". Why risk getting detained, or shot?

I recently repacked my BOB from a mil-style backpack into a regular "school bag". I could carry it anywhere and nobody would spare a second glance.

If law enforcement do _not_ detain "suspicious individuals" in the event of an emergency, then you're really screwed. Because you ain't badass enough to survive on your own in a shooting riot. None of us is. (Those of you who do that - in teams - for a living, thank you for your service.) If you do have a team to support you, and the skills and equipment to do so, I beg you to help LEO do their jobs. We'll all be better off if as many as possible try to help rather than hinder.

I would advise people not to carry firearms openly as well. You can talk about your rights all you like, and I agree with you, but that is not going to save you from being shot if you look like a threat.
I see what you're saying but I won't be ditching the pack anytime soon. I always appreciate hearing the other side of the coin and I gave some consideration to being "low key" but the capabilities I wanted weren't offered in a "low key" style.

Personally, I would much rather have access to my gear in a way that makes sense and is easy to use in a stressful situation than blend in and this setup offers me that. If the situation dictates, it would not be difficult to remove pouches and find other places for the contents in order to blend in better. Additionally, all it would take is me cinching up the shoulder strap and putting a jacket on over the bag to conceal it if need be.

#33 ·
I'm goin to be honest,

I don't think the bag looks that tactical. Slap a few pens hanging out a side pocket, bright colored sharpies or something and some non-threatening band sticker you can take off when SHTF on the side and BOOM, you look exactly like every other delivery guy I've seen in the city for awhile. Now THAT's some real camouflage, look just like another sheeple and no one's going to bother you.

#34 ·
Actually, I should clarify. I live in an extremely heavily-trafficked (and regulated) area - Manhattan. For me, "low key" means blending in with the crowd as much as possible.

For others, you may actually be able to go visibly unnoticed - in which case of course tactical-type, or even camouflage items, would be perfect! We all have to find the gear that works best for our specific purposes.

I got a great idea from cletus' list of supplies: hadn't thought of packing oatmeal. I assume you mean the individual "instant" packages. How long do those last before going bad, do you know?

#35 ·
hadn't thought of packing oatmeal. I assume you mean the individual "instant" packages. How long do those last before going bad, do you know?
Just to be safe, I rotate all the food every 6 months as it sits in a hot car. Yes, the oatmeal is instant in individual packs and would last quite a bit longer than the MRE's. The only down side is you've gotta have a way to cook it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.