Survivalist Forum banner

Mossberg 702 Plinkster

13K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  ajole 
#1 ·
Was in Wal-Mart today and saw a Mossberg 702 Plinkster. New and in the cabinet for $107.00. Looks like a nice semi-automatic rifle!

I've got three .22 LR already. Marlin, ATI GSG 522 (ok, this one is supposed to be my Christmas present), and a Rossi Youth .22/410 combo. Not to mention my son's cricket.

Any thoughts on this rifle? It seems like a great value, considering most .22 LR are going for double or triple that price. Even checked on line and cheapest I saw it was $151.00 at Bud's.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mossberg-702-Plinkster-.22-Bolt-Rifle/17200909

#2 ·
They are a decent rifle, i bought one for me and my kids. Haven't put a ton of rounds through it but it seems to pattern well. My only issue is it didn't like the bulk remington .22 lr ammo i bought. I will have to get back out and try again here with different ammo to see if I can get it to cycle better. I may have to take it apart and play with it a bit too. I stripped and oiled it when i got it home, but dunno if it needs more or less oil somewhere or not.

The gun shoot fine, but cycles poorly, leading me to believe it is the ammo more than the gun, as I can cycle the rounds fairly well with no issues. It could also be that the mag lips need adjustment.

#3 ·
What kind of Remington ammo were you using? My wife's SIG Mosquito only likes the Remington Golden Bullet. So we've got plenty stocked up. Though a brick of Winchesters would be okay if I needed.

Putting a lot of thought into that gun. Perfect to buy and set aside for my son down the road. He's 4. By the time he's old enough to have a real gun, the prices might have climbed so high we can't afford one.

#7 ·
I got a Plinkster bolt model. The bolt fell apart, had to send it in on my own dime.

They eventually replaced whole rifle, took a month because they don't stock the Brazilian parts. Been okay since.

Terrible trigger, though, no way to hold it precisely on target with such a stout pull needed, been reluctant to try and dink with it what with no parts available if I screw up.

- OS

#8 ·
I had one. It was when they were sold under the Magtech name. Externally it looks very much like a 10/22, but they are totally different internally. If I remember correctly, it was pretty reliable and accurate, and was pretty easy to maintain as well. I didn't like the fact that 10 rnd mags are all that is/was available. I ended up giving it to my son and it's still serving him well. It's worth the Ben Franklin and change. :thumb:

Reactions: searching4itnc
#9 ·
I've run about 6,500 rounds through mine this year. Only issues I've had were from cheap Golden Bullets. Trigger is rough when you get it, a little valve lapping compound douched into the internals for a 500 round session, and the trigger both smoothed up considerably, and actually got noticeably lighter. With a $6 4 power air rifle scope, I can ring my 10 inch gong every time from 200 yards (Target is at the veeeeery bottom of the vertical crosshairs!) This is the cheap plinker that gets douched down with first brake cleaner, then WD-40 after the brake cleaner dries, then gets leaned against the wall of the safe and forgotten about until the next time we go shooting.

Great little gun, and Mossberg makes 25 round mags for them now, too!

#11 ·
Thank you for your comments. Hate hearing that about the Remington Golden Bullets though. My wife's SIG Mosquito loves those things and it oddly fires better in her pistol than the CCI. So I've got plenty. Guess if I get it (or rather when I get it), I'll have to stock up on something else.

#13 ·
The 702 Plinkster is no Ruger 10/22 but it is a good rifle, and a very good deal for $107.

Pain in the butt to disassemble/reassemble, but not a rifle which would need to be completely torn down very often. After initial cleaning out of the box, just clean what can be accessed in the open chamber and bore after shooting.

Very light rifle, easy to handle. No recoil to speak of, but it's a .22 after all.

Magazine operation is kind of awkward. You have to pull back on the charger and hit the magazine release lever simultaneously. Not a huge deal, but does slow you down.

Spare magazines run about $20 (local to me).

I like the Plinkster's sights. And there are different stocks offered, although anything other than the plain jane black synthetic will cost more.

Can be picky re ammo. Like Sooner said (above) CCI Blazers run good in mine too. May just require a "break in" period for other types.

If you end up not enjoying it, you aren't out a whole lot. If nothing else a good loaner rifle or trunk gun.

#16 ·
I picked one up in a deal. It's been living in my chicken coop for the last two years. Come to think of it, I should probably check on her. Unless you want something cheap and handy to train kids, I would advise moving on to a 10/22. They can work, but they are very cheaply made.

#18 ·
And every time I take some Scouts out to shoot, they prefer the Plinkster over the Ruger. Better ergonomics for non adults, more accurate than any of my 5 10/22’s, and despite being “cheaply made”, they just keep shooting. I have had 5 or 6 of the 702’s with various stocks, most of them went to live with nephews and nieces who chose them over a Ruger or a Marlin.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.