I found a hole in my food preps. - Page 4 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Food and water Discussion on food and water storage, water purification and related topics.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How long until everyone finally dies from starvation, if...? Common-Sense Urban Survival 259 01-15-2017 02:31 PM
Hiding/storing food, weapon and ammo caches nameless_warrior Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 14 01-13-2017 07:14 PM
The skein of your life was woven long ago. Chapter 1 MayDay Books, Movies & Stories 86 01-09-2017 09:04 PM
Gather around the campfire OR Never step on the Butterflies MayDay Books, Movies & Stories 55 01-09-2017 06:17 AM
GHB: The Winter Package merlinfire Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 15 12-20-2016 03:37 PM

Old 01-13-2017, 05:41 PM
Survivor

Thanked 31,824 Times in 10,814 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olpoop View Post
Iím all for having the block party. Iíve never had a generator, and donít want one. I was a lineman for power companies for 28 years, and most of the time, I had a generator mounted on the company truck that I drove, but I didnít have one at home. I usually had to leave home and go to work during outages anyway, leaving my wife and family behind. When the kids were little, we ran two freezers most of the time. Now that the kids are gone, we run one freezer. In all of my 64 years, we havenít lost enough food from outages to buy even the cheapest generator, much less the fuel to run one. Frozen food is not a good choice for shtf food storage IMHO.

CD in Oklahoma

Once again:

You assume everyone is in your situation.

I've lived on the grid with essential services
-and never been without power for more than a couple hours.

And I've lived "at the end of the line"
-where weeks without power were not uncommon.

Most power companies make sure "their people" get power early.
It's just good business.

When I bought my (offgrid) property the "neighnors" warned me that several week outages in the winter were not uncommon.
I told them they would have to tell me about it!

I had a outage a couple weeks ago. Took me about 3 hours to find the bug in my system.
I've got backup inverters, charge controllers, wires, geny's etc.

Nice to control your own destiny.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2017, 07:33 PM
Prepared

Haven't read the responses either, but having a bunch of pre-packaged food is a serious mis-appropristion of resources. You have to learn how to cook everything anyway, why not start learning now and put the meals together from scratch, while unfortunately Internet service is running, lights are on, the stores are open and your nieghbors aren't salivating like Pavlova dogs at the slightest whiff of food! Put the savings into canning gars, whole flats of them. And, propane tanks. You can get them dirt cheap at flea markets, trade them in at a Blue Rhino kiosk for a Shiney new one filled. Can everything on your grill while your nieghbors are doing thier block party wake for themselves a month from now. Here kitty, kitty, kitty.......
Old 01-14-2017, 12:46 AM
Time to melt snowflakes!

Thanked 60,084 Times in 20,194 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr4btTahoe View Post
Well... if you have a full cow stashed in the deep freeze and power is down for 3+ days... you could certainly pay for a generator. Lol
That all depends on how you buy.
The Following User Says Thank You to juskom95 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2017, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConfederateColonel View Post
Just a note regarding "Long Term" - that's a very relative term. The weak link in solar is battery life. They are expensive, and last a couple years more or less, depending on type and how they are used and cared for.
There's two scenarios. Disaster and non-disaster. Going solar for non-disaster is useless. It's expensive and the batteries last only several years, and that's if you know how to take care of them.

Now for a SHTF scenario, you can't beat it. Those several years during a disaster is a relative LIFETIME. If things can't get back to 'normal' in a year or two, life is really going to suck. I imagine only people growing their own food, with an abundant water supply and maybe livestock, are going to survive past the first year.

Gas for generators during a blackout becomes a precious commodity and will be increasingly harder to find. And don't forget that everything will no doubt be on a cash basis. How many people have a lot of cash on hand? Imagine if banks and atms are all down. Nobody is going to take your check or credit card.

My imaginary scenario is a National Grid Failure, and it will probably take several months to restore, depending on where you live. But at least eventually food and water will be available in due time, after the initial disruption (and riots). I've got maybe 4-5 months worth of food and drinking water, so I still need to work on that. But I will have refrigeration (until I'm down to MREs, then I won't need it any longer), lights, fans, ham radio, music (CDs and being able to play my electric guitar), things like that.

Of course, you can't prepare for EVERY kind of disaster, but should an earthquake take out our power for months, I'm in fairly good shape.

On a side note, the emerging 25 year salt water batteries show promise, but they are hugely expensive.
Old 01-14-2017, 09:18 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,819 Times in 1,749 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacash View Post
This exactly. I bought a generator that will run my freezers all simultaneously, provided I space out when I plug them in so they aren't all surging simultaneously. I figure running them 3 or 4 hours per day will keep them all cold enough. I also have a couple rolls of fiberglass batt insulation that I would probably wrap them in to prevent as much cold loss or heat gain as possible.
Fiberglass insulation is nasty stuff, there is plastic bubble insulation available or foamboard that wont make you itch, get in your eyes and lungs.
Old 01-14-2017, 10:23 AM
RIP Dad

Thanked 3,509 Times in 1,345 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilmac View Post
Fiberglass insulation is nasty stuff, there is plastic bubble insulation available or foamboard that wont make you itch, get in your eyes and lungs.
I've installed thousands of square feet of fiber glass insulation, so I'm well aware of it's down falls. Ignore the fact the bubble stuff has an R value of like 3 compared to R-13 and the fact that its double or triple the price, and sure, I guess I could buy that just to throw up in the rafters just in case.
Old 01-14-2017, 06:02 PM
Perception is NOT reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossA View Post
So where do you buy non-ethanol gasoline? All of the pumps I see say up to 10% ethanol.
There is a free App available for android phones called 'Pure Gas' that will list gas stations near your present location that sell non-ethanol gasoline. Get it from the android store. It may also be available for iPhone but my phone is android, so I wouldn't know.
Old 01-14-2017, 06:45 PM
Mild Prepper

Default Same Boat

We just bought a whole cow (butchered) from a neighbor rancher and had the same thought. Now we are looking into a generator to keep all the 500# or so of beef frozen in the freezers in case we have a power outage. It cost too much for the beef to risk losing it. The cow came out to around $5/lb but if you factor in the new generator, I think we will be paying fillet mignon prices for hamburger!
Old 01-14-2017, 07:37 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,261 Times in 626 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RancherRob View Post
It cost too much for the beef to risk losing it. The cow came out to around $5/lb but if you factor in the new generator, I think we will be paying fillet mignon prices for hamburger!
You can pressure can hamburger. And beef for stew. Stuff like that.
For the rest, it's a generator/other off-grid power or a freeze-drier.

I hate to say it, but I know someone who buys half a cow every year--and to date has lost 3 freezers full of meat on 3 separate occasions. I'd really be looking at other options in her shoes.
Old 01-14-2017, 08:45 PM
Prepared

Shooting matches ftw. My stepdad keeps his... ours... and several other's freezers full during match season. Fresh beef, pork, etc.. Just brought up 35# of fresh ground beef a week or so ago because he didn't have the space.

For the cost of entrance... he typically brings home a roast or loin at minimum. Then the big shoots (only a few times a year), he typically brings home between 1/4 - whole cow. I dont complain at all... and as a matter of fact, I may have to buy a bigger freezer soon. Lol
Old 01-16-2017, 11:19 AM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rural Buckeye Guy View Post
Haven't read the responses either, but having a bunch of pre-packaged food is a serious mis-appropristion of resources. You have to learn how to cook everything anyway, why not start learning now and put the meals together from scratch, while unfortunately Internet service is running, lights are on, the stores are open and your nieghbors aren't salivating like Pavlova dogs at the slightest whiff of food! Put the savings into canning gars, whole flats of them. And, propane tanks. You can get them dirt cheap at flea markets, trade them in at a Blue Rhino kiosk for a Shiney new one filled. Can everything on your grill while your nieghbors are doing thier block party wake for themselves a month from now. Here kitty, kitty, kitty.......
Prepackaged foods are great if there are only a few of you or if you are really too busy with life to cook the old fashioned way. I agree that cooking is much cheaper, but when there are not enough people around to dedicate a full time cook, prepackaged food or even canned food(which is prepackaged, but not nessesarily by a factory). Learning how to prepare food is priceless, but there are priorities here that may need some addjustment.
Old 01-16-2017, 05:36 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,764 Times in 3,339 Posts

I don't see if it has been mentioned, but the old trick of keeping bottles of water in freezer works great. They help keep the contents cold, the water can be drunk when it thaws, and all the rest.

I also keep an assortment of cold packs in all my freezers too. This allows me to transfer stuff to coolers if I have to and insert cold packs to keep temperatures low. I store a big box of the commercial ice pack type ones in my main freezer for just such a purpose. A place I worked at used to throw them away when they received shipments of cold goods. I kept a bunch instead of throwing them out. They stay cold for AGES even when in open air.
Old 01-17-2017, 11:55 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 8,320 Times in 3,007 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Writer's Block View Post
I also keep an assortment of cold packs in all my freezers too. ......... They stay cold for AGES even when in open air.

I to have a FREE source of lots of commercial ice packs & keep any unfilled space in our freezers packed with them.
Very handy addition to portable coolers.
WARNING > do not apply directly to your skin, as they can cause frostbite damage.
Simply wrap in a small towel, prior to application to body parts.

Old 01-18-2017, 09:09 PM
III

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat daddy View Post
fiberglass batting is a good idea but it has limited uses. Look hard at moving blankets. The larger ones. Several will give good insulation if dry. They also can be pressed into use as sleeping pads and I have one in my horse trailer that has served as sleeping blanket. They tend to be stiff, some soften when washed. A couple that I picked up from Harbor Freight have felt stuffing which makes them stiff but still serviceable. We lost power for a week during a snow storm. I just kept the door closed on the freezer and everything was still frozen when the power came on. I did notice that most of the people around us ran out of gas for generators the first day. I would recommend a couple of deep cycle batteries (also good for your trolling motor) and inverter big enough to power the unit and a couple of solar cells to recharge the batteries.
I keep a moving quilt on my chest freezer in the garage all the time. It can get very hot in there in the summer and every bit helps to keep the heat transfer from the food. Good idea on using fiberglass.
Old 01-19-2017, 05:42 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,819 Times in 1,749 Posts

Be careful not to cover the heat exchange area. Older freezers and refrigerators had coils that you could see, but my newer upright freezer doesn't. But, there is an area on the side that gets pretty hot when it is running. That is where the heat taken from the inside of the freezer is being transferred to the outside. If you cover that area you are preventing the freezer from doing what it needs to do to operate.
Old Yesterday, 03:14 PM
Somewhere on a ranch...

Thanked 3,820 Times in 1,061 Posts

Get gallon jugs of water and line the bottom of your freezer with them. They'll keep everything frozen for a very long time. Plus, now you've stored extra water!