Survivalist Forum banner

.410 shotgun shooting .45lc and 44 magnum

39K views 22 replies 17 participants last post by  Gallo Pazzesco 
#1 ·

any body got more info on this or has done it?

#3 ·
Typically you can shoot .410 in a 45LC but unless the barrel and chamber are pretty heavy duty I would not shoot a .45LC in a .410. There are weapons made to shoot both 410 & 45LC but unless the loads are light a .45LC will be dangerous in a 410. If you have a 410 just use slugs.

#4 ·
In a word, DON'T.

Pressured generated by the .45 LC are too great for most .410 scatterguns. The .44 Mag is even worse. The break action guns such as those are not noted for their strength.

The .45/.410 chambered weapons (handguns) have a pretty funky long chamber and aren't the most accurate at best. The jump from the case to the throat can have the bullet literally entering the barrel canted, not good for accuracy.

The bullets in the video appear to be hitting the target tumbling which would be a normal thing for such a weapon. Try and hit something at any range and it's pure luck. No thanks.

Also the cases, especially the .44 Mag would most likely split lengthwise upon firing ruining them. Not good when you may not be able to get any more.

Better to fire .410 (2 1/2") through a .45-70, the pattern's open but it's eminently more useful. And the .45-70 can be loaded up or down to suit your needs. Ball and shot loads, quiet loads and powerful heavy loads can be used interchangeably.

#5 ·
Not just no but..........HELL NO!!!!

Whirlibird is correct. A 410 shotgun has a bore diameter of .410. A 45 Colt fires .452 diameter projectiles. I suppose that the bullets could be swaged down to bore diameter by being fired, but this would certainly cause a significant rise in pressure. The 410 only has a SAAMI pressure rating of 13500 psi. The 45 Colt has a chamber pressure of 14000 psi. Granted, the two rounds are fairly close in pressure ratings but you must also consider the firing of oversized projectiles down a bore.

Now, as to firing 44 Magnum ammunition in a 410 shotgun..........:eek: you've gotta be out of your mind. Once again we are talking about firing oversized (.429) projectiles down a .410 diameter bore. We are also talking about two grossly different cartridges. The 44 magnum is a very high pressure round with a SAAMI pressure rating of 36000 psi. Firing one of these in a 410 shotgun of any type will likely result in catastrophic disassembly of both the firearm and various body parts.

I cannot believe that someone would encourage people to try this kind of crap. Even in a survival situation, I would not try either of these combinations (45 Colt or 44 Magnum) out of a 410 shotgun. I think that some people are confused by the fact that there are SOME firearms (such as the Thompson Center Contender) that are capable of firing both 45 Colt
and 410 shotgun shells. What must be remembered is that these firearms were originally engineered and built to do this.

The guy in the youtube video is a nut for doing and advocating others to try this stunt. As for me, I like my fingers, eyes, etc. too much for this kind of ignorance.

#10 ·
possible stupidity and experience

Well, I don't really have an intelligent reply to this, and I realize I may be bumping this thread but... Without reading this, and with other readings; slugs for 410's are illegal where I am, but I decided I'd one up a slug and use a 44 round so I ended up shooting a 44 mag round in my 410 shotgun. It shot, it shot accurately, but I didn't try a long distance. I don't have many specifics aside from the fact I shot around 15 rounds and nothing happened to the gun or me. I know you will call me stupid for this, but I thought I'd at least say my experience. It made a hell of a lot of noise and a big hole in the back of the tree I shot. The ammo wasn't hollow pointed or anything special, just regular 44 rounds. Despite it being stupid, I thought it was awesome and pretty fun. My experience may be rare so don't misconstrue this as encouraging the use of 44 rounds in a 410. Anyway, that's all. Nice to meet you all

#18 ·
A typical 410 shotgun bore is .410. The .45 LC is .452. That's a big bullet to try and force through a .410 bore. The Judge is specifically designed to do it, a regular 410 isn't. The Judge uses a bore that is sized to the .45 LC and slightly oversized for the 410. Better from a pressure standpoint to use an oversized bore than an undersized one. The shot column will spread out to fill a .45 barrel safely, where forcing a .452 bullet through a tight .410 bore will increase pressure a lot.

#14 ·
wikipedia dimensions

10.4mm diameter for .410 shell, I'm no expert, and .44 is about 10.9mm. That's wikipedia though, I'm not 100% or 90% at that. I didn't do it just out of curiosity, my dad is from texas and saw a gun that shot .44 magnum rounds and .410 shells so it was his curiosity. The .44 round didn't fit like the .410, obviously, but there was a notch on the the metal thing that ejects the shells when opening the gun to reload, and if I put the .44 round right on that notch it would load perfectly. Like I said though, I'm far from professional.

#17 ·
Big difference between a shot column expanding to fill a .454 bore and a .454 slug swadging down to .41. Then you have even more preasure at the choke.

You might get away with it using a soft lead slug, but not a jacketed bullet and i would only try this with a .44 mag if a bear was charging me and that cartridge was all I had. But if I had a .44 mag cartridge would I not have have the pistol it went in, under normal circumstances?

I have seen single shot shotguns blow up. Know a couple of guys with 3 fingers on th left hand frm the experience. They are tough but they are not industrictable.

Take some advice from an old man. You don't want to put everything you got anywhere it fits.

#19 ·
I've used .45LC with my NEF .410 single shot, no problems of any sort whatsoever. I do use LRN bullet cartridges but, .45LC doesn't always use jacketed bullets which I'd not use in my .410 in any case.
The pistol rounds went where I aimed and the shotshells still shatter birds at decent distances, 50-60 yards they get dusted.
The slugs my .410 likes are remarkably accurate and any of the others do as well as the .45LC rounds, buckshot rounds do the same.
The .45LC round is of a similar pressure rating as the .410 shell so there really is little concern over pressure issues.
I also have a pump action .410 shotgun that I will not use .45LC with it, the chamber walls are not near as stout as my NEF is so, I'll stick with shotshells in that one.

#20 ·
The .45LC round is of a similar pressure rating as the .410 shell so there really is little concern over pressure issues.
It is until you start forcing it through an undersized bore. Now I know there's a safety factor built in. But I don't know how much, nor what pressure increase the .45 LC undergoes. Unless it's designed for both, it's just a risky thing shooting ammo the gun isn't designed for.

#22 ·
hey y'all usa dudes howdy from canada. jus had to reply re. the 44 ,45, 410 harangue. i too have shot them all including 44/4o in my mossy o/u, bottom barrel only .dont wanna screw up the full choke barrel. and yes the 44 mag rounds were jacketed,and no they were not very bloody accurate,best to shoot rifled slugs if ya wanna hit sumthin, also shot all of the above outta my packer 410 12 inch bbl whith the same accuracy, lucky to hit a pie plate at 20 yds. so if yer huntin little birds with a 410 in bear country put a couple 44 maggs is yer pocket, however most of your states allow handgun hunting and carry so just pack a pistol.not so lucky up here.can only take handguns to range and then home. i guess lawmakers and politicians believe only criminals should have handguns,but dont wanna get started on dumbass canuck gun control so ADIOS 4 NOW CYA

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.